It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F.E.A.R. Marillion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: F.E.A.R. Marillion Reply with quote

New marillion album out today and just having my first listen. Lots of interesting moments built not quite hanging together yet. However this is usually as sign that as I listen more it will all start to gel into something quite special.

I look forward to immersing myself in this one more.
DS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to it for almost a week now and it has really gelled with me now - lots of earworms in there. I wasn't initially sure if the Guardian's 5 star review, proclaiming it as their best album in 20 years, was accurate but actually, I think they may be right. Hints of Brave, Sounds That Can't Be Made, Marbles, Afraid of Sunlight and even Misplaced Childhood (One Tonight) are all in there - all good with me. Lyrically quite downbeat and angry in a non-shouty way but there is a definite theme / concept running through the album.
Just bought my ticket to go and see them in November - nuff said! Cool
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very very good IMO. Definitley better than recent outings. Is it the best since Marbles??? Probably.
TigerMothTales

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to confess that my knowledge of Marillion's work begins and ends with Misplaced Childhood, but my friend keeps telling me I need to investigate more. I've heard a fair amount of negative stuff elsewhere about the new album, but I may invest and see for myself. After all, I tend to like the albums other people don't like. Smile
This is England

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TigerMothTales wrote:
I have to confess that my knowledge of Marillion's work begins and ends with Misplaced Childhood, but my friend keeps telling me I need to investigate more. I've heard a fair amount of negative stuff elsewhere about the new album, but I may invest and see for myself. After all, I tend to like the albums other people don't like. Smile
Interesting. I am an exception in that Misplaced is not a big favourite for me. FEAR is good, I must say.
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TigerMothTales wrote:

I love Misplaced Childhood personally. Pete if you want investigate Marillion further (and you should) I would try the albums Brave, Marbles, Seasons End and Afraid of Sunlight first before you go onto F.E.A.R.
DS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonecrusher wrote:
I would try the albums Brave, Marbles, Seasons End and Afraid of Sunlight first before you go onto F.E.A.R.
Good call - those would be my recommendations too. Cool
gianfranco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have every Marillion album ever made!

I put F.E.A.R. right up there and maybe even right at the top!

There's not a duff moment - and it all flows in a very cohesive and well structured manner!

Great work from Mr Mark Kelly in particular on this one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Other Bands All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: