It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New John Mitchell album

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frenchyphil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: New John Mitchell album Reply with quote

Hi read in prog magazine that a new solo album and a new label are John's next project. But with John Beck injured, I guess there's no new It Bites album in the forseeable future....
Happy new year to you all,
Phil
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up on hoping for a new album.
gazza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I spoke to John at Franks charity weekend in October, when he reliably informed me that the second Lonely Robot album was in production, and will be out sometime this year. As for It Bites..I haven't given up, but i don't think it's anywhere on the horizon. Very Happy
orangefiltersky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some things which I don`t understand about JM: He puts so much effort and heartblood in regrouping and rebranding It Bites, he calls JB a true "genius" who is (was?) one of his best friends, they write and record a very fine first album and an even better second album together and suddenly he loses interest in the band. To me, it`s a total mystery. All the momentum after MOTP is lost. I would really like to understand why JM is no longer interested in IB. I mean, on a third album he would have total freedom to go wherever he wanted to go with his beloved writing partner JB. They could write a dark album, they could write a happy album, they could write short poppy songs or longer proggy songs. The first incarnation of IB did the same in the 80es. Why is he no longer keen on maintaining this fruitful partnership? Why does he think IB is a narrow cage and the fans only want more of the same over and over again? I truly don`t get it!
Mooncat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As JM has said about Frost* in the past - 7/8 doesn't pay the bills, so IB (along with many bands these days) cannot make a career out of music the way bands did in years gone by.
To make any money out of bands you need to be constantly touring and finding increasingly diverse ways of getting fans to part with cash, as we now have a generation of music fans who almost expect to get music for free.

JM is only 1/4 of the live animal that is IB (although with Lee off doing other things probably 1/3 of the decision making 'unit') and if trying to get everyone together and enthused about writing and recording new music then touring is difficult at the best of times, imaging trying to do it against the background of everyone have 'other priorities' which pay the bills.

Even 'big names' like Mike Portnoy play in multiple projects, Nick D'Virgilio left Spock's Beard to play drums for Cirque De Soliel, partly for the challenge but partly for the regular pay cheque.

I'd dearly love a new IB album and tour (as would we all) but from being in bands myself, I get the logistics of trying to coordinate four diaries and trying to get everyone to have the same enthusiasm for the project that you have isn't easy.
orangefiltersky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is all true. Everyone has to pay the bills, that`s the most important thing in life. But the problem is not the busy schedule of four people, the problem is that JM has lost interest in IB.
It would only need two people to write new IB music: JM and JB. (BD and whoever is playing bass, LP or NK, are apparently not involved in the writing process.) And I`m pretty sure JB would be up for it any time. BD and LP would only need a few days in the studio to record their parts. That should be easily possible.
So the problem are not the bills or the schedules of individuals, the problem is a singer and guitarist reluctant to produce new IB music in favour of anything else, apparently. And I am disappointed about that. This is my right as an ardent supporter of IB!
pete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and for me: this now is the time for Franks's return...
London, Rock Garden, 16.12.1989
Cambridge, Corn Exchange, 18.12.1989
Birmingham, The Hummingbird, 19.12.1989
Hamburg, Fabrik, 22.02.2009
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangefiltersky wrote:
Yes, this is all true. Everyone has to pay the bills, that`s the most important thing in life. But the problem is not the busy schedule of four people, the problem is that JM has lost interest in IB.
It would only need two people to write new IB music: JM and JB. (BD and whoever is playing bass, LP or NK, are apparently not involved in the writing process.) And I`m pretty sure JB would be up for it any time. BD and LP would only need a few days in the studio to record their parts. That should be easily possible.
So the problem are not the bills or the schedules of individuals, the problem is a singer and guitarist reluctant to produce new IB music in favour of anything else, apparently. And I am disappointed about that. This is my right as an ardent supporter of IB!

Trust me, JM hasn't lost interest in IB. He's just finished the second Lonely Robot album but from the few times we've been in touch recently he's not indicated any sort of disinterest in IB and is also still in touch with JB. Smile
pete

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dena wrote:
Trust me, JM hasn't lost interest in IB. He's just finished the second Lonely Robot album but from the few times we've been in touch recently he's not indicated any sort of disinterest in IB and is also still in touch with JB. Smile

...so frank is still out? not in for a chance? Crying or Very sad
London, Rock Garden, 16.12.1989
Cambridge, Corn Exchange, 18.12.1989
Birmingham, The Hummingbird, 19.12.1989
Hamburg, Fabrik, 22.02.2009
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly unlikely, Pete.
gazza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Frank is out on tour over here in blighty in January Pete, i will be attending the Slade rooms gig ( in Wolverhampton ) but he's also playing Manchester and London i think Very Happy
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...But getting back to the matter at hand.... Wink

More details on the new Lonely Robot album, "The Big Dream" here:
https://www.facebook.com/johnchristianmitchell/
orangefiltersky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dena wrote:
orangefiltersky wrote:

To record two solo albums in a row is the clearest expression of disinterest. He doesn`t even need to say it. And in all these years (almost 5 in the meantime) there is not even the smallest sign of a new IB album on the horizon.
Bluegeo64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dena wrote:
...But getting back to the matter at hand.... Wink

More details on the new Lonely Robot album, "The Big Dream" here:
https://www.facebook.com/johnchristianmitchell/

Lonely Robot was definitely a grower but I love it and am really looking forward to the new album. For me who has yet to see the lads live- your comments re recent communication with John M gives me renewed hope and I think the recent Facebook post of Wallflower shows how proud he was of what was achieved with TTS and MOTP
DS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest Prog magazine has a short article about the new Lonely Robot album. However, possibly of more interest to people here is where it says JM 'also confirmed he's working on material for a new It Bites album, which he hopes will be out towards the end of the year.'
Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: