It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kickstarting rant

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kulich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: kickstarting rant Reply with quote

What's with kickstarting anyway?

I supported Squids, and Dave Walliman and others I can't think of because it seems like a friendly way to encourage ... friends.

Today I stumbled across a kickstart campaign for Jon Anderson's new band that was looking to raise almost $100k to finance a project.

As much as I love Yes and Jon I just don't get it ... maybe this is the new reality and dovetails with Netflicks and pay per view.

They surpassed their goal BTW - and the donators get freebies including concert tix. If they were playing anywhere near me I'd be chuffed. Guess I'll just prowl online and buy the dumbed down cd.

P
Mooncat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that in some instances, artists are using crowd funding as a way of fighting back against illegal filesharing - if you get the fans to pay for the 'exclusives' then they've paid for the album as they would have done in the 'good old days'.

The only flaw in this thinking for me is that the real fans are the ones who would have bought cds, concert tickets etc in the first place so they're now the ones paying for it - quite literally.

That said I do do know a lot of people who set reasonable targets and genuinely need the funding in order to get an album recorded.
kulich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was the amount of Jon's ask - and the fact that it was exceeded, coupled with the crowdsource only concerts ... I may have misread that part Smile

It just struck me as odd and made me think of kickstarting as panhandling.

On a happier note, my prepaid download of Advent's new cd just opened and if the rest of the cd is as good as the first track this is one cracking album. I generally subscribe to the Americans can't do prog camp but these guys have nailed it. Very gentle giant flavored - really good production and stellar musicianship.

http://www.adventmusic.net/

P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Other Bands All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: