It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JM`s unhappiness with IB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kevh



Joined: 25 Dec 2006
Posts: 325
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: SOC Reply with quote

I agree great news about Sound of Contact. Loved their album and Dave Kerzner's solo one. A collaboration between Dave K and Mr Mitchell would be fun!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dena
Forum Administrator


Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 4863
Location: Blighty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously people are concerned with what's happening with the band, but I suspect JM might have been taken slightly out of context in the magazine interview. Maybe a slightly throwaway comment was misconstrued, who knows?

What is important, though, is that as far as I know, a new It Bites album is being written (JM sent me a demo some time ago, which was ace!). Lonely Robot is obviously still fresh and at currently the front of everyone's mind and there are a couple of exciting Xmas gigs coming up, but as we all know JM likes to be a busy man, lol! I suspect he wanted something extra to do during the time that JB was touring with Fish (which I believe took up most of 2014), and a solo project has been on his radar for a very long time, so it was probably a natural progression. Obviously, I can't speak directly for JM so I'm not 100% sure of his thoughts; I'm just going on from how I know him but knowing him as I do, I strongly suspect this was the case, and I'm very much looking forward to hearing about a new IB album at some point soon! Smile
_________________
Innit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
orangefiltersky



Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 447
Location: Munich, Germany

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dena, as much as I hope that you are right, I don`t know in which context the following statements from JM could be expressing enthusiasm for writing a new IB album:

"We were at an impasse - we`d written and demoed four or five songs but some of it sounded like a backwards step and I didn`t have the greatest enthusiasm for it."
"On one level, rebranding It Bites has been a great success. But there are some casualties and I take the whole thing personally."
"If the boys decided it was time to get Francis back, I`d be the first person cheering them on, and I don`t mean that in an uncaring way. We`ve done as well as can be expected."

Let`s hope he just had a bad day when he gave that interview.
_________________
If music be the food of love, play on (Twelfth Night, W. Shakespeare)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dena
Forum Administrator


Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 4863
Location: Blighty

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be the case - you never know. As regards the interview, your guess is as good as mine! I did manage to read it (courtesy of an opened Prog magazine in WHSmith on Cardiff Central concourse, because I'm a cheapskate Wink )

I do know for fact that every different member has their own thing going on right now (JM has Lonely Robot and Mr Poms is currently on tour with Take That, for example. I think JB is moving house as well), but to the best of my knowledge a new album IS being written. It sometimes happens with the guys that a lack of writing direction can really hamper things and maybe that's what JM was alluding to in the interview. We all know, though, that when a direction is discovered then there's no stopping them - so I'm keeping everything crossed that a definite direction has been found!
_________________
Innit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bonecrusher



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 3459
Location: In a store down town

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That might be the case - you never know. As regards the interview, your guess is as good as mine! I did manage to read it (courtesy of an opened Prog magazine in WHSmith on Cardiff Central concourse, because I'm a cheapskate Wink )


That's how I usually read it!

Quote:
I do know for fact that every different member has their own thing going on right now (JM has Lonely Robot and Mr Poms is currently on tour with Take That, for example.


When was the last time Mr Poms did anything with It Bites though? The last couple of gigs I was at had Nathan and then some other bloke on bass.

Quote:
I think JB is moving house as well),


That is a ridiculous excuse - people move house all the time but they don't stop work!

Quote:
but to the best of my knowledge a new album IS being written. It sometimes happens with the guys that a lack of writing direction can really hamper things and maybe that's what JM was alluding to in the interview. We all know, though, that when a direction is discovered then there's no stopping them - so I'm keeping everything crossed that a definite direction has been found!


All good points Dena. To be honest this thread is becoming a bit silly for me. I can see why JM might have become a bit disillusioned with it - 2 albums since 2007 isn't alot (I'm not moaning though it's better than nothing) and there are still people harping on about FD.

My hunch is that it will happen eventually, but in their own time, its a labour of love for the band as I see it, not really anything to do with making money (if it was the new album would have been written ages ago), so lets just let them get on with it and see what, as Dena says, turns up. I bet when it does it will be outstanding.

But, personally, and I've said it before if they call it a day here so be it, I will still follow any individual projects they do. They're not the only band in the world.
_________________
What's wrong with being sexy?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marbian



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 87
Location: rome, italy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok lads, don't want to be boring, but our JM has confirmed in a tweet that, along with the making of a new video for " boy in the radio" and new live dates, he'll soon be busy conceiving Lonely Robot chapter 2. I'M HAPPY WITH THE NEWS, but...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gazza



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 2216
Location: Birmingham, England

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Funnily enough, i've just put the Lonely robot cd back in my car. What a great album this is.I think there will be new IB music, but just don't think it will be anytime soon, so those waiting..i wouldn't hold your breath. But it's all good because another Lonely robot album can't be a bad thing now can it Question Very Happy
_________________
Oh my god - the genius of it all
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
orangefiltersky



Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 447
Location: Munich, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let`s face it: Lonely Robot finishes off It Bites. It`s the same as Steve Wilson solo vs. Porcupine Tree. I for my part am rather sad about this development.
The first Lonely Robot album keeps being a major disappointment for me. I find almost nothing that could ignite my passion for this album. Mediocre riffs and mediocre tunes is all I hear. My first impression refuses to change.
_________________
If music be the food of love, play on (Twelfth Night, W. Shakespeare)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nitsypee



Joined: 29 Oct 2010
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangefiltersky wrote:
Let`s face it: Lonely Robot finishes off It Bites. It`s the same as Steve Wilson solo vs. Porcupine Tree. I for my part am rather sad about this development.
The first Lonely Robot album keeps being a major disappointment for me. I find almost nothing that could ignite my passion for this album. Mediocre riffs and mediocre tunes is all I hear. My first impression refuses to change.


It's odd - my first impression was quite positive with this album. But the more times I've played it, I've realised there are only a few tracks I really like. The Tall Ships, on the other hand, still sounds unbelievably good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gazza



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 2216
Location: Birmingham, England

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy And i'm the opposite again, strange how our love for these people brings out different tastes. I've loved the Lonely robot album since my first listen and love it even more now.Think it was a labour of love for JM and not just something to fill a void during IB downtime, and certainly not something that finishes off IB. Also ..i don't think there's anything mediocre about JM's playing..okay i'm a fan, but not just of his playing but the tone he gets, i'd love to get that tone out of my guitars and amps. Very Happy
_________________
Oh my god - the genius of it all
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DS



Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 491
Location: Darkest SW Scotland

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazza wrote:
Very Happy And i'm the opposite again, strange how our love for these people brings out different tastes. I've loved the Lonely robot album since my first listen and love it even more now.Think it was a labour of love for JM and not just something to fill a void during IB downtime, and certainly not something that finishes off IB. Also ..i don't think there's anything mediocre about JM's playing..okay i'm a fan, but not just of his playing but the tone he gets, i'nd love to get that tone out of my guitars and amps. Very Happy

Totally agree Gazza. Glad to see I'm not alone in those views! Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TigerMothTales



Joined: 25 Jun 2014
Posts: 211
Location: Nottinghamshire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that. Or third it. Smile
_________________
I would be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
marbian



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 87
Location: rome, italy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the fourth, no medals for me Crying or Very sad I've always loved JM first as a composer: apart It Bites, also the only album by Kino is full of great melodies , clever chord changes and hooks:
for me the construction of a song, in pop as in prog, is the most important thing, and JM has always proved to be an excellent songwriter imo. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Takahashi



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 158

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangefiltersky wrote:
The first Lonely Robot album keeps being a major disappointment for me. I find almost nothing that could ignite my passion for this album. Mediocre riffs and mediocre tunes is all I hear. My first impression refuses to change.


Are you sure your disappointment at the likely demise of IB+JM as a result of his Lonely Robot project mightn't be tainting your appraisal, at least somewhat?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bonecrusher



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 3459
Location: In a store down town

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitsypee wrote:
orangefiltersky wrote:
Let`s face it: Lonely Robot finishes off It Bites. It`s the same as Steve Wilson solo vs. Porcupine Tree. I for my part am rather sad about this development.
The first Lonely Robot album keeps being a major disappointment for me. I find almost nothing that could ignite my passion for this album. Mediocre riffs and mediocre tunes is all I hear. My first impression refuses to change.


It's odd - my first impression was quite positive with this album. But the more times I've played it, I've realised there are only a few tracks I really like. The Tall Ships, on the other hand, still sounds unbelievably good.


I wasn't into it at first but it's been a real grower for me. I really like it now.
_________________
What's wrong with being sexy?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group