It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JM`s unhappiness with IB
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangefiltersky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: JM`s unhappiness with IB Reply with quote

I just read the article about JM and Lonely Robot in the new issue of PROG and I must say that I am almost convinced that there will be no next IB album. JM feels frustrated about the limitations of the IB style (although he loves working with JB), the finished new songs seem to be a step backwards for his taste, he moreover claims he`d be more than happy with Francis Dunnery returning to the band. JM also thinks that "Map" was too adventurous for some IB fans.
JM is obviously on the brink of quitting IB, let`s face it. I for my part am pretty unhappy with that situation but there`s nothing we could do.
John Gillham

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said as much in his last Lonely Robot film blog. He's probably right in that the band's music needs to progress more from the 80s stuff. I don't think It Bites under Frank would be a different proposition as Frank has moved on too. How about It Bites with both Frank and JM? Twin guitars a la Wishbone Ash or Thin Lizzie (but in a more modern proggy way of course). Now that would be good.
kulich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The band (and crew) have to eat as well ... someone no doubt knows how many cds were pressed (and bought) in the new IB iteration, and how many tix were bought to the gigs since then. They are probably depressingly low figures. Fortunately there are residuals from the hits, and re-issues, going to everyone (but not John).

It's sad but true that IB are a niche market and outside of a few forums, blogs and review sites basically unknown - which is fine if you are 20 but at the other end of a career simply disheartening. I'd wager there is more gain in trying unplugged house concerts for John and John (and Bob and Mr. X) than there would be in doing the tour thing.Remember, Francis had to cut the last electric tour short due to low gates.

As for the reunion thing, outside of a one-off (Cruise to the Edge?) how could that ever happen. Too much water has flowed under that bridge.

So I look east to Scandinavia for my tasty prog treats Smile AND ... Advent has an album due out in somewhen soon.

P
nitsypee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the PROG article wasn't particularly positive as regards future IB plans. Crying or Very sad
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: JM`s unhappiness with IB Reply with quote

orangefiltersky wrote:
JM also thinks that "Map" was too adventurous for some IB fans.

WTF is that supposed to mean? It was hardly that adventurous. It was classic It Bites!
John Gillham

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have said Tall Ships was classic It Bites, but Map of the Past was more progressive and more 21st century. I think most fans seemed to like both though.
gazza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I'm with you there John..Tall ships was classic it bites, whereas MOTP definitely brought them into the 21st century. Personally i preferred the Tall ships..as i love that classic it bites sound that is evident on a lot of tracks. It can't be easy trying to do that and bring something fresh at the same time, so you have to give JM some credit for bringing that to the table. I have Kino and Urbane albums, as well as Johns new Lonely Robot, and i think they are all albums i'm proud to own and have in my collection. It may be the same thing happening with John as it did with Frank, and he also may be outgrowing the band, i don't think money comes into it, and as long as great music is being produced,i for one am a happy bunny Very Happy
John Gillham

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree Gazza. With It Bites having such a good following it would be a shame for them to discard the name - as long as all the band can agree the direction of their music.
kevh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it isn't the end of IB, but would understand (sadly) if it was.... and if it is, hope they do some sort of farewell gig/tour (with Francis as a special guest!) to end the era.

If it isn't the end, I'm prepared to wait another year for another album and tour, and would be very happy if the musical direction moved on like Map Of The Past.
DS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong but I suspect JM's comments were probably more a reflection on his understandable enthausiasm for his new Lonely Robot project and the freedom that has given him rather than him saying it's all over for IB. I can understand how he may feel being in 'someone else's band' but as John has often commented, he was a huge IB fan boy and to take on the frontman role was both daunting and an honour for him. I don't think he'd want to be responsible for binning the band. JB has been on tour with Fish so there hasn't been much opportunity for writing new material recently anyway.
Hopefully the break will do them good! Cool
(Anyone know if JB has got his keyboard rig reprogrammed for IB material yet after the major crash last year?)
orangefiltersky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fact that almost assures me that there probably will be no new IB album: JM is planning another Lonely Robot album for 2016 because he is overwhelmed about the praise his album has got. So I`m almost sure that from now on JM will keep his best ideas for his Lonely Robot project. But if only the Not-so-good-ideas go to the IB album writing sessions with JB, then IB is done. JB would be the first to feel that IB has taken a complete back seat. And it is obviously JM who is the main writer also for IB: He claims in the PROG interview that JB isn`t much of a "writer" but more of an "arranger". So the only reason to make a new IB album could be that JM can write songs in this context which he couldn`t in a solo context. But that`s obviously not the case. (That was the reason why Phil Collins f.e. stayed so long in Genesis: He knew he could never write great songs like "Mama" or "No Son Of Mine" on his own.)
I`m really pessimistic at the moment.
TigerMothTales

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make a confession which may get me barred from the forum. I stil haven't actually got MOTP. Nothings stopping me getting it. I loved Tall Ships and I will buy MOTP. Somehow though, it's something I keep meaning to do and forgetting to do. Anyway, my point in that revelation is that I don't know much about that album and whether it was too adventurous or not. One thing we do all know is that there's no point doing a new album for the sake of it and if people aren't fully up for it, YES we all know that. Smile But I don't imagine it'll be a case of never again. It may mean we just have to wait. Hopefully not as long as we're waiting for the new Frost album. Wink In the meantime, JM is obviously enjoying being totally incharge of his music, and I for one think thats a great thing. So we may not get more IB in a hurry, but we may get more JM, and maybe other solo projects. I do think from the fans point of view a tour with Francis would be magnificent and I reckon that would fill venues. Certainly very benefitial for the band, but again, no point in doing it just for that if they don't feel comfortable with it. So, I think the sentiments expressed abuv are right and we may well not hear from IB for a long time, but absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.
nitsypee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally felt that The Tall Ships was much stronger than Map, though I realise that many people prefer Map. Listen to some clips if you can. I like the Lonely Robot album, but not as much as the 2 recent IB albums. (Some of it is a bit too heavy for me; I'm a gentle soul!)
John Gillham

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tall Ships and This is England were brilliant tracks in my opinion but stuff like The Wind that Shakes the Barley were throwbacks to the 80s - I know I'm in the minority here. I felt Map of the Past was more thoughtful. I'm hoping John Beck and Bob Dalton can find some common ground with JM resulting in a new 'progressive' album.
pete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...for me, they never where the same, after they reunited with john. it's not, that i do not respect him. i love his work with frost and urbane. but for me it never was ib again. it was another band called ib. so maybe this might be the chance to get the origins together. john, bob, frank and even dick. let's do it... -Pete-

and when you go compare the tomata versions of when the lights go down and live in tokyo dvd, you understand what i mean...
London, Rock Garden, 16.12.1989
Cambridge, Corn Exchange, 18.12.1989
Birmingham, The Hummingbird, 19.12.1989
Hamburg, Fabrik, 22.02.2009
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: