It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JM`s unhappiness with IB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangefiltersky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete wrote:
...for me, they never where the same, after they reunited with john. it's not, that i do not respect him. i love his work with frost and urbane. but for me it never was ib again. it was another band called ib. so maybe this might be the chance to get the origins together. john, bob, frank and even dick. let's do it... -Pete-

and when you go compare the tomata versions of when the lights go down and live in tokyo dvd, you understand what i mean...

Please keep in mind that the music of FD and IB are two different planets from FDs solo album "Fearless" (1994) onwards. A reunited IB version with FD would NEVER have written and recorded great albums like TTS or MOTP. Just listen to FD`s solo records and you will know what I mean. So please stop your fantasies about FD coming back and all`s well again. JM is so much closer to the spirit of IB nowadays. I personally hope for another IB album with JM at the helm. I`m really convinced that a new IB album with FD would not be what we hope for.
pete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...ja, ja. ich weiß es selber. aber die power von damals haben sie nie wieder erreicht. nach dem saga support gig in hamburg hatte ich ein längeres gespräch mit john beck und bob. beide bestätigten, dass frank damals nicht so richtig motiviert war, ib wieder zu beleben. nachdem dann john dazu kam war er wohl zu allem überfluß auch noch ziemlich sauer... du hast recht. es ist 25 jahre her (unglaublich). sie waren meine band. das war's...

back to all: i know about that. and i think the same way. but for me it will last as a dream... -Pete-
London, Rock Garden, 16.12.1989
Cambridge, Corn Exchange, 18.12.1989
Birmingham, The Hummingbird, 19.12.1989
Hamburg, Fabrik, 22.02.2009
John Gillham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangefiltersky wrote:
pete wrote:
...for me, they never where the same, after they reunited with john. it's not, that i do not respect him. i love his work with frost and urbane. but for me it never was ib again. it was another band called ib. so maybe this might be the chance to get the origins together. john, bob, frank and even dick. let's do it... -Pete-

and when you go compare the tomata versions of when the lights go down and live in tokyo dvd, you understand what i mean...

Please keep in mind that the music of FD and IB are two different planets from FDs solo album "Fearless" (1994) onwards. A reunited IB version with FD would NEVER have written and recorded great albums like TTS or MOTP. Just listen to FD`s solo records and you will know what I mean. So please stop your fantasies about FD coming back and all`s well again. JM is so much closer to the spirit of IB nowadays. I personally hope for another IB album with JM at the helm. I`m really convinced that a new IB album with FD would not be what we hope for.

I don't want to get into the Frank vs John thing again - that's well in the past - but It Bites should be an ever-changing thing not a spirit of the past. Frank and John M are both a part of It Bites heritage. Who knows what the future will bring. Don't write off anything.
pink skinny head

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a real pity if John Mitchell called it a day with It Bites....As much as he feels IB is someone else's band' i disagree.I think with his obvious ability on guitar and vocals..his song writing skills..and his real understanding not just of prog, but what IB are all about, he has made It Bites very very much his own.I wouldn't mind betting if fans and followers of this awesome band had the choice of John or Frank fronting the band..John would come out on top.I do hope that your wanning enthusiasm for IB returns John..because i truly believe that as much as IB need you..you need IB.They are the perfect vehicle for you to express all your skills as a musician and with JB by your side and a bit of time out.. the next It Bites album will almost write its self.
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I just can't be arsed with this. The first three IB albums were great with Frank. The most recent two albums were also top notch, classic It Bites for me, but updated for the time.

However, I don't spend my days dreaming of a new album. If they do it great, if not I can live with it and I'm grateful that the reunion with JM happened so I had a chance to listen to them and see them lots more times.

If they never release a new record then fair enough it's up to them. There's masses more amazing music out there to discover (not least Lonely Robot which has taken some time for me but is now becoming a classic as well), and I for one am loving the music scene.

I still love the forum, although for obvious reasons most of my recent posts have been on the Other bands section, but as It Bites fans isn't it great to be able to discuss music with like minded people whether it's about IB or anyone else.?
stan the man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all pretty sad if JM wants to quit IB,just wish someone would clarify the situation then we could move on either with or without JM.

I also feel if JM does move on it does not need to be the end for IB,there's still got to be a decent market out there for the band sales wise,but I suppose that would be up to record label.

As for IB musical direction......I wouldn't give a t--s as long as we still had a band creating songs.
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stan the man wrote:

I also feel if JM does move on it does not need to be the end for IB...

Oh I think it does. The fallout from replacing Frank was bad enough, imagine replacing him again? And who the hell would you get? I think if JM does call it a day they should leave it well alone.
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is going that way, then it just shows how fickle a long held dream to front a band you love is !
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldmanwithhisangel wrote:
If it is going that way, then it just shows how fickle a long held dream to front a band you love is !

And that's a bit harsh as well I think.
stan the man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonecrusher wrote:
stan the man wrote:

Oh I think it does. The fallout from replacing Frank was bad enough, imagine replacing him again? And who the hell would you get? I think if JM does call it a day they should leave it well alone.

Why leave it well alone ? We have a band with a loyal fan base and can achieve decent sales so I don't see why we should say "thank you and goodnight"again remember its all speculation and there's no point in slinging names about the place until the situation is made clear,that is if there is a situation in the first place.
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stan the man wrote:
Bonecrusher wrote:
stan the man wrote:

Why leave it well alone ? We have a band with a loyal fan base and can achieve decent sales so I don't see why we should say "thank you and goodnight"again remember its all speculation and there's no point in slinging names about the place until the situation is made clear,that is if there is a situation in the first place.

How do you know the sales have been decent? Do you even know the sales? If the sales had been that good I think there would definitely have been another album by now.
John Gillham

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember it was recorded somewhere that sales of Map of the Past were good. Also the fan base is quite large by prog standards, although I would imagine it is diminishing with the lack of activity.
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's harsh, I can understand John's feelings, it's just an observation. I hope the band does continue, but this ongoing silence from all concerned is sure making people restless !
John Gillham

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bottom line is if there isn't an It bites album or the imminent promise of one in the next few months the band is dead in the water. The fact that there are not that many posters on this topic speaks volumes. Most of the traffic on the forum is 'what are you listening to today?'.

I cannot help but think that JM must not be impressed that It Bites cannot make music because JB has lost some keyboard programming (sorry if that sounds harsh).

It bites CAN work with FD or JM but CANNOT work without either. Remember Sister Sarah?
pete

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...maybe it's just a fact, that both sides can't do real without each other. IB without frank and frank without IB. he did great albums (i love tall blonde) but apart from the IB style. best ever example of that it not worked is for sure navajo kiss, which realy sounded more like that what IB never wanted to sound like (as for eat me). frank developed in his direction, IB in none. so after reuniting with john it was just a band called IB with origin members and a drummer who knows to play the final part of tomata... Rolling Eyes . not more not less. and again: of all the bands i've seen live, in the end of the 80's IB had the most live power. compairing the live tracks with the album versions. unbelievable. they never had and never will get that punch again. even a real reunion with frank and also dick (who for me was a brilliant groove bass player) wil bring this back to life. -Pete-
London, Rock Garden, 16.12.1989
Cambridge, Corn Exchange, 18.12.1989
Birmingham, The Hummingbird, 19.12.1989
Hamburg, Fabrik, 22.02.2009
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: