It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steven Wilson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazza

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Steven Wilson Reply with quote

Very Happy Okay..so i have to admit that I'm a bit behind the times when it comes to the prog world ( coming from a rock background ) It bites not withstanding Exclamation The thing with me is..i'll listen to anything, and if it appeals to my musical senses, then great. I guess i got into SW only in the last 12-18 months via the Raven that refused to sing, and the excellent drive home. Since then i've bought Porcupine tree, No man and listened to Blackfield too. Well this week saw the arrival of his new opus Hand Cannot Erase, inspired by the documentary dreams of a life, in which a lady died..and her body wasn't discovered for over 3 years, which i watched on Monday evening. I have to say that i put the documentary out of my mind and just listened to the music, which i just knew was going to be exceptional, and it doesn't disappoint, it's a fantastic piece of music, well thought out, and immaculately played and produced, and so i'm glad that even though i may be late to the party, so to speak, that i've discovered his music at my own pace. I noticed a pic or two of him with JM at the lonely robot launch party, and really wished i'd have been there, as i know a few friends that actually attended. Anyway..brilliant album guys, give it a listen through some good quality headphones and give your ears a treat Very Happy
stan the man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 100% Gazza. H.C.E. REALLY is something else,beautifully written,produced to perfection,and is a treat to the ears.

But I think credit is due to the band SW has put together they are now playing to their individual strengths even more than on Raven imo.

Yep Steven Wilson can do no wrong at the moment,I mean imagine contacting Katherine Jenkins and asking would you like to guest on my new album? But you aint singing just talking.....and it works brilliantly on Perfect Life.Genius.
gazza

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Yeah.. i noticed her on the credits. The one thing you can say about him is that he doesn't seem to suffer for his art, and isn't scared to take chances..Katherine Jenkins being a perfect example, and if you check out some of the No Man stuff,you can actually footprint where he's come from, to where he's arrived to today musically, it's all very inspiring. I have tickets to see him in Wolverhampton in a couple of weeks and am really looking forward to the gig. Unfortunately Marco Minneman and Guthrie Govan aren't part of the live set up, but have been replaced by incredible musicians all the same..I think Dave Kilminster is replacing Govan, who i've seen before and is an amazing player. Will let you know how the gig goes Very Happy
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven Wilson is a bloody genius. Hand Cannot Erase is a work of art.

Gazza - I can't believe you have only just got onto his radar. You must be having a great time. The Porcupine Tree stuff is great, and loads of back catalogue to delve into, and the first 2 Blackfield albums are stunning stuff. Enjoy!

I'm seeing SW next week and I can't wait.
stan the man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed out on a SW ticket for Edinburgh not at all happy it sold out in a matter of weeks.Seen the band on the Raven tour at Glasgow,it was a privelige to be under the same roof as Wilson,Govan,Beggs,Minneman,and Holzman even tho the sound was crap.

Its a pity the full line up wont be on the tour.....but I can vouch for Dave Kilminster,seen him play a couple of times with Roger Waters and his "Scarlet" album is top drawer....a more than capable replacement for the brilliant Guthrie Govan. Enjoy guys.

Ohh if anyone has a spare ticket for the Edinburgh gig!!!!!!! pm me please.
DS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has been hooked on SW's music since I first heard Voyage 34 back in 1995, I'm not going to disagree with any of Dave's comments! Cool
However, I think you are still getting Guthrie and Marco on the European tour. It's only the American leg that they are not available (prior commitments with their other band, The Aristocrats) and Dave and the wonderful Craig Blundell (aka Blunders to Frost* fans) will be joining the band.
http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/sw-band-lineup-changes-for-americacanada-shows/
gazza

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I remember you raving about the Blackfield stuff ages ago Dave, and genius he is to. I have since bought Grace for Drowning and In absentia, and Insurgentes, to go along with a couple of other PT albums, so my collection is growing by the week. I think i'm gonna get those first two Blackfield albums too, they are easily available at burning shed Very Happy
orangefiltersky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazza wrote:
Very Happy I remember you raving about the Blackfield stuff ages ago Dave, and genius he is to. I have since bought Grace for Drowning and In absentia, and Insurgentes, to go along with a couple of other PT albums, so my collection is growing by the week. I think i'm gonna get those first two Blackfield albums too, they are easily available at burning shed Very Happy

The first Blackfield record is by far the best one, closely followed by the second one. The third one was the weakest record by far, imo, but the fourth one has some great songs again, although many of them are far too short.
orangefiltersky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that the new Steve Wilson album H.C.E. is absolutely superb. It`s a record which has a great flow and is best listened to from start to finish with headphones on.
gazza

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Well i went to see the great man last night, and what can i say Question Just incredible..musically inspiring and visually amazing..proper art rock at it's best Very Happy
rob-m

Location: Wandering the Land of Prog. Quite often via a Pub and a Premier Inn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that I've been an admirer of SW for quite a while and was lucky enough to see PT a few times.

I loved the Raven and liked HCE a lot when I first heard it but for some reason it slipped off my playlist earlier this year... And I couldn't get to any of the gigs in March Crying or Very sad

Anyway, I was very lucky to see him and the band at the RAH recently and seeing the whole of HCE played as one piece, along with the incredible and very moving filmed backdrop, crystallised the whole thing. What a work of genius. I can't remember when I've been so emotionally drained after a gig....

So I'm looking forward to January and another dose of SW goodness. See you at the Manchester Apollo if you can make it Very Happy
gazza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I've got tickets for the Manchester Apollo Rob, so if you and Suzie fancy a quick bevvy before the show mate Question Very Happy
rob-m

Location: Wandering the Land of Prog. Quite often via a Pub and a Premier Inn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely bud! Look forward to it Very Happy
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the Apollo too. Steven Wilson is a genius.
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangefiltersky wrote:
gazza wrote:

The first Blackfield record is by far the best one, closely followed by the second one. The third one was the weakest record by far, imo, but the fourth one has some great songs again, although many of them are far too short.

For me the fourth one is the weakest because the songs are so short, they needed much more development, although Steven Wilson wasn't massively involved with 4 at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Other Bands All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: