It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a laugh. :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Musicians and Instruments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TigerMothTales

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Just a laugh. :) Reply with quote

Just wondered if anyone has any bizarre stories from gigs they've seen or played at themselves? I was reading a bass pedal related story on the BBT Facebook page and it reminded me of something I did about 17 years ago which I now look back on and think "Erm...why?". I was in my first propper band. Well, I say propper, there was a drummer, a guitarist who couldn't really play guitar and didn't have an amp or pedal, and me basically doing everything else, playing bass on bass pedals and the leed guitar stuff on the keyboard. But yes it was our band. Hehe. I discovered that the drummer's dad was a fellow Genesis fan, and I would play bits to him when we'd finished rehearsing. I had a sound on my old keyboard which wasn't a bad ringer for the Watcher of the Skies intro, and I used to play it quite often. The drummer's dad liked it, and he suggested that I opened up the gig with it. I thought this was cool, so at our first big gig (in the local miners wellfare) we came on stage and I powered up the 200 watt PA and rocked the room with that amazing intro. Well, I say rocked the room. I think for those who could hear it and were listening they probably thought, "What the feck's he doing and why is everyone else just stood there?". But any effect that I managed to build towards the climax was probably ruined as our first track was Alright Now! Lol. We were a basic rock covers band. So can you imagine the grandure of Watcher of the Skies, in to that first power chord? I look back on it now and giggle. Go and dig out your Foxtrot album and your "Best Driving Rock Anthems" and put them together. It's ace. Lol Don't get me wrong, I love Alright Now and stil sing it frequently, but I've never put the two together since. Ok, your turn.
gazza

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I can remember playing a gig a good few years ago now, with a stinking cold. I was playing away ( think it was gimme shelter by the stones ) and the singer was playing a tambourine, a little circular one with pairs of mini cymbals all around the circumference ( you know the ones ), anyway, they all came loose and started falling out of the tambourine. I turned and pointed to all the cymbals rolling off the stage one by one to our drummer, as if under a spell by the pied piper, but our singer hadn't noticed and was still playing it with great purpose and vigour. By this time the drummer and myself were p*****g ourselves, and come the end of the number had been reduced to an uncontrollable crumbling wreck on the floor. The whole audience had twigged what had happened, but not the singer, until i pointed to the empty shell of the tambourine. I started the gig feeling terrible and full of cold, but finished it on a great high..after composing myself..a true spinal tap moment that i haven't shared with anyone for years Laughing Laughing Laughing
TigerMothTales

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol thats a good'n. Smile
Gman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, loving the stories!

When I was playing in Ad Nauseum (Cardiacs wannabe band) we supported Albert Lee...which if you know Albert Lee is just a massive mis match to start with.

But we started playing and the crowd actually seemed to be getting into our prog punk rock blend and things were going well.

Jon and keyboardist Rodney had devised a plan to have a Cardiacs style bust up on stage towards the gig. The problem was it totally fell flat on it's face and the audience didn't get it and thought they were having a proper fall out on stage...it killed it stone dead. There was just this massive air of awkwardness. Hilarious when you look back but it was cringeworthy at the time!

Albert Lee enjoyed the set but then he was completely off his head at the time!
Gman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh another one...I played for a few years in a covers band - we did mainly rock with a bit of rocky pop thrown in. We got booked for a new years eve gig at a golf club, it was good money with food and accommodation thrown in.

When it was time to play we looked in horror and saw a room full of 70 and 80 year olds. Aaaargh. We played a few of our 'nicer' songs but after several requests for foxtrots and waltzes we had no option but to dive into a 30 minute rendition of Wonderful Tonight. It went down well, so we did it again!

I think we also did an extended version of Lady in Red too.
patch

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing a gig with my late father and his best mate about twenty years ago ! (I used to play the drums) . We were at poynton british legion ! What a gig ! My dad was lead singer and guitarist and his mate the bass player (Pete Band his name) . Now Pete was never renowned for being quiet and the volume always crept up during the gig ! The problem was he also liked a drink ! Anyway , during the gig he was on his tenth pint which he placed on his bass amp , I forget what song we were playing (we did country and rock 'n' roll covers ) but it was quite an upbeat number I glanced across the stage to Pete's amp and could see his pint creeping towards the back of his amp !
Not wanting to stop the song I kept nodding at Pete to try and get his attention ! Which after about thirty seconds I did , the only trouble was with him being a bit worse for ware he nodded back at me thinking I was getting into the groove ! Anyway , just before the end of the song his pint tumbled down the back of his amp I shut my eyes expecting a (not planned !) flashbomb that never came ! We finished the song at which point I dashed over to Pete's amp to see what had become of his pint , only to find nearly a full pint turned upside down on Pete's denim jacket ! Needless to say Pete found a much more suitable place for his beer after that !
looking back I think a bit of an explotion may have woken up a rather senior audience ! Thought I'd share that one as I've not posted anything for about two years . Great memories for me though !
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wasn't me personally (thank goodness) but I do remember hearing about a guitarist friend of mine at one particular gig playing the entire Vapours' "Turning Japanese" track a semitone out *puts fingers in ears*
TigerMothTales

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Well I've not been on here for a while and I come back to some right giggles. Smile Hi folks. Good ones there. Patch, I had a similar thing with a pint. The pint was mine. I was playing with a band I didn't usually play with, and when I was searching for somewhere to put my pint, the bassist (an older and I thought wiser man) said to just put it on his amp. I asked him in my best Sergeant Wilson voice if he thought that was wise? He said glibly that it'd be fine. It wasn't. It fell off in the middle of the 3rd song and tripped the whole rig out. Lol. Nothing went bang or blue up. I think they make power breakers too well for that these days. Spoil sports. Lol
I also did another gig, funnily enough with the same band. Well, more of a guest spot really. The guitarist asked me if I wanted to get up and sing a track. He said I could use his mic. The minute my tash touched the mic, I got a shock. I tried again. Same thing. I don't think it could have sent me flying across the stage or anything, but it was quite strong. Stronger than I was comfortable with. I was concerned, so I told the guitarist I was getting shocks and I'd rather use a different mic. His answer was, and I quote,
"Yeh, it is a bit tingly ain't it."
He'd just done an hour throw down set, while beeing constantly shocked, and it was "a bit tingley!". Jesus. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Musicians and Instruments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: