It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Mitchell - Lonely Robot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Incoming Reply with quote

Well i have ordered it just now, can't wait Smile
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it Thursday , gave it a listen, very good but needs to grow on me .
Ripped it to my PC this morning, then put it on my phone, and listened to it again via my Blutooth headphones whilst cycling 20 miles, and i am starting to get to know it now, and it is growing on me .
gazza

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Read on Facebook last week that the lonely robot tour is only one date at the scala in London ( surprise surprise ) Shocked Hope that more dates can be fitted in Question
orangefiltersky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonecrusher wrote:
Hmm... I'm trying. There are some nice bits but it's not really grabbing me yet.

I'll keep listening.

Same with me. I`m really wondering why everyone is so super excited about this album. I listen and listen and keep being rather underwhelmed, I have to say. The compositions leave me pretty cold and I didn`t expect this after I had read so many posts of happy IB fans. Can anyone give me a clue why this is supposed to be a great album?
DS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangefiltersky wrote:
Bonecrusher wrote:
Hmm... I'm trying. There are some nice bits but it's not really grabbing me yet.

I'll keep listening.

Same with me. I`m really wondering why everyone is so super excited about this album. I listen and listen and keep being rather underwhelmed, I have to say. The compositions leave me pretty cold and I didn`t expect this after I had read so many posts of happy IB fans. Can anyone give me a clue why this is supposed to be a great album?

I guess it's all really to a matter of personal taste and what 'floats your boat'.
I happen to love John's song-writing in virtually every band he's been in (not wild about Arena but I don't know how much he contributes to the writing), I enjoy his 'chainsaw of prog' voice (his term!) and he is one of my favourite British guitarists. The sound of Lonely Robot is a slightly different approach for him, more ambient sounds and less of a straight-forward 4 piece band feel and whilst this may not find favour with all IB fans for that very reason, it is perhaps more like Frost* (Jem's influence is all over Airlock) and that is certainly a good thing from my perspective. That combined with the incredible list of guest artists (including many of my personal favourites) meant that Lonely Robot was highly unlikely to bomb with me. And it didn't disappoint - definitely my album of the year so far - and despite being only March, there have been some strong contenders already.
Interestingly though I find I prefer the bonus Piano Mix of Why Do We Stay? to the proper version. The addition of H's voice to JM's and Heather's really works with the stripped down backing.
gazza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Agreed DS, just because we love the album, it doesn't mean everyone else has to, just down to personal taste i guess. I love it for it's pop sensibilities and it's proginess, along with some serious shredding ( i've always loved the tone JM gets on his guitars and always feel like i want his solo's to go on forever..The wind that shakes the barley being a perfect example ! ), and of course the guests that appear, i wouldn't say it's like marmite, as i think the people that have embraced JM into the IB fold will probably enjoy this, but i can also understand if people don't like it too. There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to musical taste. Very Happy
stan the man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal musical taste.....It can be mental sometimes.

As I have said here a few times I still struggle with Dave Kerzners New World and I'm very much in the minority but I can live with that . I still play the album and well it just didn't live up to my expectations I guess.

Lonely Robot on the other hand has the It Bites,Kino,Frost influences and is almost Wilsonesque in places,plus as has been said here before JMs guitar work is special.As a debut album I still say its a cracking piece of work.
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely growing on me as a record though - that's usually a good sign for future listening.
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's growing on me too , please come home lonely robot has been playing in my head all night driving my bus, and don't forget me, I am on my 4th listen now, and wanting to listen to it more .
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangefiltersky wrote:
Bonecrusher wrote:

I'll keep listening.

Keep with it. I'm really getting into it now. This was post number 3333 for me. Not relevant but just saying. Seems like a cool number.
gazza

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Now if it was all the 6666's Laughing
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am smitten now, play it at every opportunity, even the boss is amazed that I know the words already. i love it Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: