It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Mitchell - Lonely Robot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stan the man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Produced and performed to perfection" - Steven Wilson.

And who would disagree....a wonderful piece of work.

This has filled a black hole in my musical universe...Thank you Lonely Robot !
Takahashi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to it on a couple of hour-long journeys yesterday, and it's generally fantastic. There are only one or two tracks that may take time to grow, but the stand-outs (for me) are Lonely Robot, A Godless Sea, Oubliette (very Kinoesque) and Are We Copies. Great stuff.
Julie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stan the man wrote:
"Produced and performed to perfection" - Steven Wilson.

I was comparing the production to Steven Wilson while I was listening to it - all that clarity and space between the notes...then I put my glasses on and read the tiny sticker on the front Smile
gazza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Start to finish, this is a cracking album, and a must buy for all IB fans. I haven't stopped playing it yet Very Happy
TigerMothTales

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just giving the album it's first spin and already I love it. I'm getting more of an understanding of John's talent from this album. In all his previous collaberations it's hard to know exactly who wrote what and the driving force behind particular aspects of the music, but here you can really tell what's what because it's mostly him. Brilliant songs and emotions, something which I find missing from some modern Prog. There's an erge to "progress" and to come across as majorly alternative and something apart from whatever has been before, but this often leeds to deliberately obscure time signatures and wierd atonal music which frankly can be hard to listen to or connect with on any deep level. But with JM you get great tunes and emotion without being cliched which to me is a great outstanding point. I mean, I love a bit of vertuoso shredding as much as the next man, but without sumat to sing along with then where are we? Lol. I love the concept too. Also, a pletheror of guest stars, many of whom are personal favourites. "Oubliette" is one of my favourite tracks with Madam Seviour. There's a sort of Westlife moment where it modulates, which I really love, not least because I didn't expect it. On "Boy In The Radio" there was an itch in the back of my head because I was sure I knew the voice. Then I looked on tinterweb and found it was Peter Cox. Inspired. He should do more Prog. What a great voice. Red Balloon is a perfect ending to this great album. Wow, that leaves you with a chill and wondering what happens next. That's the mark of a good ending to me. I had to go back and listen to that again. That's brilliant. I think this album is going to be in my headphones for a long time. Smile God, I feel like I just wrote a review. Lol. I know this rather goes against the forum, but I'm kinda thinking, "Never mind when's the next I.B. album. When's the next L.R. album?".
marbian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, great piece of work. From this album you can hear all the new blood JM has transfused into our beloved It Bites (by the way I don't know why nobody mentioned the very IB-esque construct/obstruct, and are we copies, my two favourite right now) Now I only wish that the two Johns will soon come back together for countless nights of new songwriting. Am I asking so much? Wink
gazza

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

: Very Happy Construct/obstruct and we are copies are my two personal favourites too Marbian, love the solo's on construct/obstruct..just immense, this is a brilliant album Laughing
marbian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Gazza! It's a brilliant album, and John has indeed proved one more time to be a great songwriter... (I'm sure of that since the Kino days Smile )
kevh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Lonely Robot Reply with quote

I haven't posted for a while as there's been no new IB stuff to talk about, but have to break my silence to agree about Mr Mitchell's excellent album - love it.
John Gillham

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant album: loved it all.

Nobody's mentioned it yet but that last video blog sounded like John M had put It Bites on the back burner, maybe for some considerable time. He talked about the frustrations of playing in someone else's group and having to sound like It Bites all the time.

I hope there is another It Bites album and that he takes the group forward without worrying about the legacy. I thought they all did that on Map of the Past by the way.

Last edited by John Gillham on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
kevh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does look as though that may be a consequence. Hope not - to lose both It Bites and Frost would be too much to take - both album wise and live!

In the meantime I shall just enjoy Lonely Robot and play my old IB stuff!

Let's hope for something in or before 2016 from the boys.
stan the man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone go to the Lonely Robot launch party ?

If so any info !
essexboyinwales

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have the album yet, but you may be interested to hear Darren Redick's interview with JM on Planet Rock's One Man And His Prog show. It was the week before last, but still available to catch up with on the Listen Again feature Very Happy
nitsypee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marbian wrote:
Great, great piece of work. From this album you can hear all the new blood JM has transfused into our beloved It Bites (by the way I don't know why nobody mentioned the very IB-esque construct/obstruct, and are we copies, my two favourite right now) Now I only wish that the two Johns will soon come back together for countless nights of new songwriting. Am I asking so much? Wink

My thoughts too. It really makes me yearn for a John/John get-together.
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I'm trying. There are some nice bits but it's not really grabbing me yet.

I'll keep listening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: