It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'New' Frank album
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I think they're all finally turning up now John..what do you think Question Very Happy
John Gillham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Gazza but, while it's better recorded and well performed, it's lost a tiny bit of the spark of the original recordings. That said I've only played it twice and it will probably grow on me and it is a 'must have' addition to any It Bites collection.

I'm looking forward now to him laying the ghost of It Bites and moving on with what he really wants to do - unless of course, he wants to reform the group along with the others AND John Mitchell. Oops, I've just seen a pig flying past my back window.
gazza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I'm hoping that will be the case too John, as much as i love It Bites, unless it's new material, i think it's all been said. I know Frank has new material in the pipeline, but after only just releasing the Vampires cd, i think it may take a while before we all get to hear it Very Happy
Didi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampires finally arrived some minutes ago. So glad it's a proper digipak - in opposite to there's a whole new world out there.
Emceehamster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, what a rip off.

Overpriced greatest hits recorded less well than the originals.

I can understand a fan who has forked out thirty dollars wanting to defend a purchase and a hero, but this album is just taking the tinkle winkle.

Nothing worth listening to since Gully Flats ten years ago.

Thank Bod for John Mitchell.
Emceehamster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rockunitedreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/francis-dunnery-vampires.html

Says it all
gazza

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Well i disagree. Am i a die hard fan Question Yes unashamedly,but a lot of work has gone into these reworkings, so i don't know what ears he was listening with Question Francis Dunnery is a name and a man i know and respect, Alan Holoway isn't Exclamation He's entitled to his opinion of course, i just disagree that's all Very Happy
gazza

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Okay..after having a while to take in the differences from the original recordings, i can honestly say that this is a cracking album. For me it's just a question of, are you tired of all the old IB songs Question If you are, that's fine, and the Vampires album probably isn't for you. If however you still love these old songs, and i love all takes on them, the originals, JM's versions of them, i love them all. Yes they are the same songs, but they are radically different in the way they have been played and recorded. I'm no expert on recording techniques, all i know is that it was recorded using no compression, which means you can turn it up as loud as you like and it won't distort, but as far as the music goes, there are different solo's, backing vocals/harmonies, and some pretty cool arrangements that are nothing like the originals. There are still a few things on there that i'm not sure whether i like or not, but i think fresh ears and an open mind are required for albums like this. I await the new Frost and Lonely Robot albums with baited breath Very Happy
pete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i decided to purchase the high res download. was a bit tricky to put it on dvd-r. but at least it works. sound is ok. i'm satisfied with it.

but for the songs and arrangement, i have to say. nothing to do with the originals. ok. he put in some livearrangements from that time. but he didn't bring in this ass kicking live dynamic, IB had at these days. at all, i'm quiete disappointed. good to hear franks voice and guitar on these tracks again. but i'm hardly missing john's keyboards and his ever present 5th vocal harmony. Rolling Eyes the grooving section is also a world away from the original.
no inspiration, i think. just as i go play my IB 7' on 33rpm... the power has gone. the flame has blown out. what a loss...
London, Rock Garden, 16.12.1989
Cambridge, Corn Exchange, 18.12.1989
Birmingham, The Hummingbird, 19.12.1989
Hamburg, Fabrik, 22.02.2009
TigerMothTales

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Vampires album seems to have devided opinion, but has anyone checked this out yet? Again, haven't seen anything about it on the forum, unless I'm daft, which is quite possible.
https://francisdunnery.bandcamp.com/album/return-to-the-wild-country
This came out on Sunday and I was lucky enough to play keyboards on a couple of tracks. Smile
It's a revamp of Francis's first solo album Welcome To The Wild Country, as you may have guessed.
The thing with Vampires, is that the originals are so ingrained on my consciousness that it is hard to detatch myself when I hear the new versions. Therefor, I can hear the good things in the new versions, but it's very hard not to compare them. I suspect others here will feel the same.
With Welcome To The Wild Country however, I never knew that album as well as the It Bites Stuff, and I can honestly say I prefer these new interpretations. Check it out folks and see what you think. It's currently only available at Bandcamp, but there are different formats for your personal preference. I believe a CD will be available at some point but only from Japan. You can stream tracks on Bandcamp, so do check it out. Cheers.
kulich

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that Pete played the tricksy keys bits on Return to the Wild Country ... and Manchester's Paul Brown played bass.

This is my favorite of Francis' remakes. The extra bits all make sense, the reworked vocal parts are fantastic ... there is a maturity to the whole thing that is probably why Francis went down this road in the first place.

Downloaded tracks seem a bit ... skinny. I definitely prefer a physical cd that I can convert should I desire. That said, you can download these tracks as wav files and simply burn your own cd so that's fine - and eventually we'll be able to buy the Japanese import should that prove necessary.

I'm still on the fence about the non-compression editing thing - if Francis had perfect microphones and sound staging, and I had Tetra speakers we might agree, but I find this and Vampyres rather dark and dull. No matter, I can fix it in Reaper with mastering vsts whenever I want:)

At any rate, by all means buy this music - it is really good!

P
TigerMothTales

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely my fave remake too. I agree with you and I too have reservations about the lack of EQ / compression etc. EQ is a great tool if used correctly and sparingly. I understand why francis has a problem with over EQ, but not why he wants to disgard it altogether. ANyway, it's slightly bogus in that most recorded sound ends up being treated in some way. All guitar amps have at least bass and treble effects on them and it's not often you would have an entirely flattened sound. Distortion is a form of compression, mike placements make a lot of difference etc etc. Close mic recording requires some kind of treatment even if subtle. Personally I'd save the lack of compression for the orchestra, and even then you need a bit. But over all I think it's a good sound and a fab album. Smile
gazza

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I don't know if anyone else has heard this yet ( let me know what you think ) but this album is very different from the original..the same songs obviously, but very different versions. I had no idea this was coming out, especially so soon after vampires. Do i like it Question Yes of course i do ( no surprise there i hear you cry ) but i love how different, and dare i say it, how fresh these songs now sound. I love what Paul and Pete have done with it too. Lil Gazza's favourite song..Jackal in your mind is improved ten fold, with extra guitar breaks in there as well. Well worth a listen Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Francis Dunnery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: