It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IMPORTANT - Prog Splash
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kulich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one source still out there (besides Mike's re-inventions Smile)

Remember this post?

P
superjx10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Frank Dunnerry´s keyboardist got all the sounds spot on so what´s the fuss.

Did JB give FD a copy of his memory cards ???

I doubt it .....

And as a keyboardist myself I know the situation is not iretrievable relatively effortlessly.

Gianfranco, thanks for your input - that's what the forum is all about

Not sure I get the english here, but I infer from the above that you believe the situation could be retrieved relatively effortlessly. if I have interpreted correctly, then, I'm surprised that, as a keyboardist, you haven't done more homework on the setup I described before you posted the comment.

As a keyboardist myself, with exactly the same gear and a load of other gear (including soft synths) where it would be a lot easier to recreate the iB set, and who plays in a Genesis tribute band and understands and has delivered complex layering and patches, I challenge you, using a Roland A90, and an Akai S3000, to program an iB set of 90+ minutes exactly how JB had it, and get all the relative volume levels debugged and set up reliably, in a week. No soft synths - where it would be a piece of cake - cos that's not how it was done, and probably how Mike Williams is doing it with Francis Dunnery, which is why he can get the sounds - although I stand to be corrected as I have not seen his setup.

Sounds is easy - but where you put them so you can play them reliably in a gig with minimum effort is not. I'm surprised that as a keyboardist, you don't appear to have built that into your analysis, as that's what takes the time. Also, Mike probably had more than a week to prepare...

If you'd like some help to start you off, PM me and I'll send you the user manuals.

Time starts now....

DBP Wink

P.s. I'll just reiterate - let's get behind the band, but not so that the daggers cannot be seen on the way in... !
superjx10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is one source still out there (besides Mike's re-inventions )

Remember this post?

P

Hi Kulich,

This gave me a warm glow - I sold the QX3 to Darkedge on JB's behalf, 'cos he doesn't do ebay and such modern equivalents .

Unfortunately, there was only KLJ in there - but that's already existent elsewhere...

DBP

Smile
rob-m

Location: Wandering the Land of Prog. Quite often via a Pub and a Premier Inn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to add my thanks to Dan for the really detailed technical explanation. I'm no keyboardist but can grasp what a calamity this was and why it couldn't just be sorted out simply... Crying or Very sad

Right behind JB and hoping that we see the guys on stage again soon.
Lattugo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck for mr. Beck, sad to hear the story. Sad

Now I am sure he'll soon re-program all his sounds/patches/layers/chains etc, it will take some effort but he knows what to do.

One suggestion I might give for the future to all keyboardists/musicians here (well, also your favourite guitar effects processor may lose its presets) is to dump all data via midi and store them (also) online.
Usually it takes only a few kilobytes you can easily keep even in an email attachment.
I personally did that for every piece of gear I possess, so that they're accessible from wherever you are in the world and can be restored on your gear (or equivalent) if you have a pc with a midi interface and a free tool like MIDI-OX or a MIDI sequencer.

You're absolutely right superjx10 when you say that some (older) pieces of gear are not friendly when you come to restoring data, but almost always surfing on the internet you get to find the right procedure, trick or workaround.

The battery card expired but the card itself could have been lost, or could break, or have any other failure so it was quite a risky situation anyway.

Again, big hugs to JB.
Hope to see It Bites playing in my area soon (Italy).

Andrea
alan sh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add my thanks for the detailed explanation and commiserations on it happening in the first place.

, I was all set to go to the concert (I live about 15 miles from Holmfirth) but at the last minute, something came up (actually, it was a lovely sunny day and I ended up miles away on my motorcycle).

When I got home, I checked up and realised it was the following weekend. Great, I thought. I can still do it. Of course, we all know what happened after that.

But never mind, I look forward to the album (I assume there is a new one in the offing somewhere).

regards

Alan
Daved

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just learned of this today, so sorry to hear of your plight JB Sad

I hope things can be restored to their former state at some point in the future.

Thanks also for the detailed explanation as to the cause.

Hope to catch you guys playing again soon !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites Live All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: