It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Organ donor register
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Nothing to do with Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waveydavey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Organ donor register Reply with quote

I wanted to post on here to urge people to sign up for the organ donor register if you have not done so already. On the 5th December my daughter Hannah received a double lung transplant at Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire. She needed this owing to having Cystic Fibrosis and her lungs being in a very poor state. She would not have survived very long without it. She went on the transplant list eventually at the end of November and was fortunate to receive donor organs within the week. This is quite rare to happen so soon so there was no time for rumination I suppose. She would not have had this opportunity had a donor not provided this precious gift of a second chance. For this I am eternally grateful to that person whoever they are. The experience as a parent was a dark, dark time but thanks to the skill of surgeons, critical care nurses, physios etc Hannah was able to recover enough to come home at the begining of this week. There is a long journey and trepidation ahead now from this point but again it offers real hope of a quality of life.

I understand that signing up is not everyones wish for whatever reason be it religious, personal etc. I have seen that it can change lives such as my daughter and with other people I have met and it offers real hope. Please sign up as there is a national shortage of donors registered. Thank you.

Register here https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/how_to_become_a_donor/registration/registration_form.asp
gazza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Glad to hear of your good news Wavey, i know you've been through a lot over the last few years, and i hope the future seems a brighter place from now on.All the very best to both of you. Very Happy
Tanjobidesu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... that's just amazing. All best wishes to you and your family.
DS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although obviously a sad time for the donor's family, it is good to see something positive come out it and for your daughter to get the chance of a new lease of life. This is exactly why all my family already carry donor cards.
All the best for you and Hannah over the coming months.
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best and so chuffed for your good news. I signed up yonks ago for it, and Angie has too, except for her eyes, she want's to keep them, but also want's to be cremated. women eh ? Very Happy
kulich

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here it's just a box you tick when you get or renew your driver's license.

Can't imagine what you've been through - god bless and fair winds to you all.

P
waveydavey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your kind words guys and bless you. Great to hear that you have signed up. Just having your names there already makes you very special people. Each person registering on the organ donor register really does offer real hope for someone waiting. Obviously I didn't make the dates this time around, but I hope to see you the next time the band tours.
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavey - I understand your experience as I have had had something similar. Great to hear your daughter is doing well.
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavey, I'm so glad to hear the good news about your daughter. We did miss you on the last tour, and you were definitely remembered. I'm keeping everything crossed that it's onwards and upwards for you from here on.

I'm already on the donor register, although I fear my liver will be no good to anyone... Wink
waveydavey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonecrusher wrote:
Wavey - I understand your experience as I have had had something similar. Great to hear your daughter is doing well.

Is that your own personal experience of a procedure Dave or someone you know? Its a very different experience wherever you stand. I will never be able to get my head around what my daughter went through. Its too enormous psychologically for me to comprehend.
waveydavey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dena and the rest of you guys. I hope you all had a great time. I will need to catch up on the posts of the gigs.
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waveydavey wrote:
Bonecrusher wrote:

Is that your own personal experience of a procedure Dave or someone you know? Its a very different experience wherever you stand. I will never be able to get my head around what my daughter went through. Its too enormous psychologically for me to comprehend.

My daughter had to have a very serious operation when she was 1 week old. That's not an experience I would recommend to anyone.
waveydavey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonecrusher wrote:
waveydavey wrote:
Bonecrusher wrote:

My daughter had to have a very serious operation when she was 1 week old. That's not an experience I would recommend to anyone.

At such a young age Dave, no parent or baby should have to go through such invasive surgery. Experiences like this do change you as a person. All my best wishes and thoughts.
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes from me Wavey.

Rob
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavey - thanks, She is 7 now and fully recovered. Feel so lucky. Hope it all goes well for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Nothing to do with Music! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: