It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scala 16th December

View previous topic :: View next topic  
man in a milion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Scala 16th December Reply with quote

I'm a bit peeved and a bit wary of posting this bearing in mind that 50% of It Bites is 50% of Frost* BUT.......the reviews I've read of this gig so far have obviously been written by Frost* fans. Now don't get me wrong, I love Frost*, A big part of why I travelled to London that night was to see them live for the first time and yes, they were bloomin good. BUT....It Bites blew them off the stage that night. The best sound I've heard at an IB gig in many a year...since Holmfirth on the Once more.....tour in fact. Coupled with the fact that both Johns had been ill or were ill up to that night. I personally thought IB were a cut above Frost* on the night. I went there thinking that Frost* were going to blow me away and maybe even...EVEN replace IB as my fave band ever. They didn't. IB just reminded me how fecking brilliant they are and however many young (?) pretenders come along, there will only ever be one IB!!!!!

So there Wink
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were there too? We missed the chance to meet properly - again! Confused
man in a milion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dena wrote:
You were there too? We missed the chance to meet properly - again! Confused

I know...I was in the mosh pit lol...saw you up on side balcony but crowd was just too much to try and struggle through! x
0ldman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd - I came away with almost the complete opposite feeling. I've been a fan of both bands since they started and although I love them both, I have to be honest and say that for me IB haven't sparkled live for a long time now (probably since the gig at Leamington with Ainsley Lister a couple of years back).

It used to be the case that if IB were in the area, I was at the gig, but I've only seen about 30% of the shows they've done recently and haven't felt moved or excited by any of them.

I think the icing on the cake was at the OATW tour where they saved the title track for the encore. That to me was rubbish - I paid for what was billed as the whole album to be played live - I shouldn't have been left to beg for the final track.

So whilst I love both bands, I was really there for (and was most impressed by and, for that matter, amused by) Frost*.

Sorry.
pink skinny head

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will sit on the fence here and say both bands were equally superb.It was the first time i'd seen Frost live and loved the humour and technical ability of the band with Milliontown making my night.In saying that,i will always love watching It Bites for their brilliance live...and the Scala was no exception.Despite illness,they played and sounded amazing and OATW topped their set.It was a night i will never forget and hope it can be repeated this Christmas coming.

On a sadder note,im supprised to see so few reviews (and praise) for the gig on the It Bites forum...unlike the Frost forum.What has happened on here....has nobody got anything to say about this fantastic band anymore. Shocked Confused
Mooncat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought both bands were great, for varying reasons.

Frost* - having been 'dormant' for a couple of years (barring last year's Xmas gig which I sadly missed) it was the first chance to see them and with the (delivered) promise of new songs it was a keenly anticipated performance especially some of those who made a gargantuan effort to be there.

IB - given the illness(s) and the fact than JM and Nath were doing both set's I though it was brilliant. A good mixture of old and not-so-old material, although I personally wasn't as excited by them, possibly as the performance of the year was them at the Robin playing the whole of MOTP.

My biggest disappointment was I thought there was a massive potential of a joint encore along the lines of previous Xmas specials (Xmas song with both bands + any other surprise guests??), but alas t'was not to be.

Overall though a top night with two amazing bands, well worth the and a great start to Xmas
gazza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Agree with Mooncat here, who was about 3 yards to the right in front of me at the gig ( caught the forum t-shirt ).Obviously, through illness, IB were a bit below par, it was still a decent performance, but not up to the standards
we have come to expect, so kudos to the lads for being such troopers.I am first and foremost an IB fan, but thought that Frost were the better band on the night ( even if they did take the p**s out of us brummies ).My biggest gripe was that i thought this gig was over sold, and that there should have been a limit to tickets, as personal space, or even a decent view of the stage were at a premium.Someone will probably tell me that not all of the ticket allocation was sold or something now, but it kind of put a dampener on the night for all of our travelling party Very Happy
Mooncat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Gazza has suggested, the 'overcrowding' issue may have contributed to the 'flatness' of the mood by the time IB came on - I missed the first song having tried to get to the loo and then the bar during the interval.
gazza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Stoner and I missed the last Frost number for the very same reason, and that was about 25 minutes long Laughing But just trying to get out and past people who weren't prepared to move, was a battle. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: