It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IBAS old newsletter - old and new?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: IBAS old newsletter - old and new? Reply with quote

I've just seen this old IBAS newsletter (whatever happened to Maggie?) that lists the fans' favourite IB songs (pre-EMISL). Looking at this, I don't think that favourite songs have really changed that much over the past 20 years or so. What do you think?

http://www.mandy.co.uk/it-bites/letters/LET_A89.HTML

It's also interesting to see IB fans' favourite bands - I think that there are a few mainstays in that list too (Marillion, Peter Gabriel, for example).

I do wonder how both lists would look these days. Maybe it's time for another survey....?
waveydavey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Wow what a blast from the past that was. Robert from South Woodford seemed very driven didn't he?! Can you imagine how that would go down nowadays? "It will take place on a Sunday and its going to be in London". 'Kin ace!! Laughing I wonder if it ever took place or where Rob from South Woodford is these days:?: Of course, not long after the date it all went a bit Pete Tong. The amount of enthusiasm was great though and I like to think that the fire still exists today in some quarters. Its odd that you should post this Dena, as I was looking through the attic the other day to take something along to the Antiques Roadshow (as you do) and came across an IBAS letter from 1988. I thought I had collated this together with other stuff but there was this stray letter from Maggie thanking my mate for his enquiry about the band and giving him a list of singles and CDs up to a point of release. Now it was addressed to a mate of mine who I worked with for a good reason. At the time he swapped his IBAS stuff for my vinyl copy of Ian Hunter's All American Alien Boy. Its amazing to see these typed letters. It must have taken Maggie ages. Is it possible to ask the band of her whereabouts? Smile Thanks for sharing this - it was great to see it. Very Happy

And no - the list has not changed a great deal. I think an updated one is definitley required! Perhaps with Paul's special photoshopping techniques Wink
dressedinblack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Maggie once how she became involved with the band. Answer:
"I'm Dick's sister!" Smile
Daved

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting standpoint.

I guess a lot depends upon at what point in time you become interested in the music and when you were first 'exposed' to it.

One thing is for certain though-(in my opinion)-once you do latch on to this band they stay firmly seared in the memory.

Never was a member of the appreciation society- I just heard 'em on the old radio one day and I was hooked-simple as that. Smile

The idea of a convention might still go down well- to suit all tastes-the new songs are class and the old stuff covers a lot of ground-who knows what the future may hold? Very Happy
Julie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waveydavey wrote:
I wonder if it ever took place

There certainly was an It Bites Convention at around that time, and a video was made available to participants. I had a 2nd-gen copy of it at one point but sadly it's no longer in my collection (maybe my ex-husband has it). All I can remember of it now is that everyone was videoed as they arrived (no doubt for bragging rights), and Frank demonstrated his tapboard. Surely someone on this forum must have been there, and would be able to tell us more...
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some footage on the convention, not that I was there. Could dig it out for anyone desperate. If I remember it has been taken from VHS and the quality is not that good.
firehorse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert and his Mrs were good friends of mine. I quite often used to go and catch up with them in South Woodford and make my perilous journey to their place on the Central Line. Unfortunately lost contact after I moved to Greece.

I was at the Convention. There was food and IB rareties over the PA. Frank made an appearance all dressed in leather and did some acoustic numbers on his guitar (STYTR was one of the tunes, I think). All good! He was very gracious to all his mad fans, although not to the person who showed just a little too much enthusiasm towards him. Poor guy, Frank rounded on him and told him he was "batting for the wrong team". Ouch...

Afterwards I went out to dinner with Rob and Lisa, John Beck's young cousin and a couple of relatives of Frank, one of whom was his excellent sister, Faye.

What an evening! Never got the video though.....

Horse
waveydavey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fantastic nuggets from this point in time. Its all there - footage from the time, Maggie being Dick's sister, hob nobbin', and the identity of Rob from South Woodford revealed. The stories about such events must be plentiful and I agree with Julie - there must be more out there. I find personal accounts of these sorts of things just fascinating as they can only come from that person as they were looking at it at that time. Story telling is a dying art! Just remember people - come old age, you will be doing this all the time Wink
alanfuss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Conventio Reply with quote

I was most certainly there . went down for the day on the train from Hull and met up for the first time with my very good friends for all these years Mike and Julie from leigh . It was a great day and much alcohol was consumed and Frank indeed turned up and sang Still too Young . he had one of my fags and signed the cig packet ( dont indulges these days) and Im on the end of the vid waving my packet saying frank had one of these !!!!! cringe Smile
I remember it was a ver wet and windy day and i had to jump on a moving train to get back home . Happy days
waveydavey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent alan. Still got the cigareet packet? Are Mike and Julie on the forum these days? It was a long(ish) way down from up 'ull! Smile
alanfuss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Hi wavey davey Reply with quote

I did have it somewhere but have moved a few times in recent years and think i may have lost it or in the house of an ex !! never go back ...lol . Its was a red malboro pack

Mike is on here
DanDare

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never joined fan clubs of my favorite bands, but since I wasn't able to get any information on It Bites in the US, I finally gave in and sent a letter to Maggie in late 1990 or possibly even early 1991. This is how I learned that Frank had left the band and the Appreciation Society was being put on hold. What a letdown...
waveydavey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanDare wrote:
I never joined fan clubs of my favorite bands, but since I wasn't able to get any information on It Bites in the US, I finally gave in and sent a letter to Maggie in late 1990 or possibly even early 1991. This is how I learned that Frank had left the band and the Appreciation Society was being put on hold. What a letdown...

Wow Shocked what a major disappointment that must have been Dan. I remember seeing the band in my home town of Nottingham, UK on the EMISL tour and the house was packed, the crowd were loud and it was definitely happening. .....then it all stopped. That point in time perplexes me to this day. It must have been a massive undertaking for Maggie in the IBAS to keep up with things at that time. Dena - did Maggie have a team of people assisting? Is there any chance of her making an appearance on the forum these days?
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waveydavey wrote:
. Dena - did Maggie have a team of people assisting? Is there any chance of her making an appearance on the forum these days?

I honestly don't know whether she had any help. Things are far different these days as regards keeping people up to date, obviously. I can type something once on the forum or the FB or Twitter pages and it will reach thousands of people pretty much instantly. Having produced newsletters for my old motorbike club the "old" way years ago (i.e. like Maggie used to), I can confirm that it's a huge undertaking, so if she managed to do this all by herself, then all credit to her; it must have been practically a full-time job!

As has been mentioned above, Maggie is Dick's sister, so I doubt we'd see her on the forum these days.
Julie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waveydavey wrote:
I remember seeing the band in my home town of Nottingham, UK on the EMISL tour and the house was packed, the crowd were loud and it was definitely happening. .....then it all stopped.

I too was late catching on to It Bites, and the Nottingham gig was my only experience of the 'old' IB live. As you say, it was a great occasion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: