It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keyboard Rig?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Musicians and Instruments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtscape

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Keyboard Rig? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Finally made it onto the forum (thanks for your help Rob... really appreciate it Wink ).
I've been a fan of It Bites for a lot of years now... unfortunately I only discovered them after they had split up. The first cd I got was the Thank You & Goodnight.... what a way to go!!! Anyway, I digress!!!!
John Beck has always been a big influence on my musical style (I play keyboards as well), along with Tony Banks, Jem Godfrey(my recent hero!!!)etc., and am fully aware of his sounds etc. What I'm really after is a bit of knowledge on his current rig?

Mainly, what does he use as a sequencer? What keyboard/rack/softsynth does the sequencer control?

Cheers
PAUL Wink
superjx10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dt,

From what I can can gather from John and (mainly) Paddy, JB uses a Roland A90 to drive his old sampler in the rack, and above that he has a Roland XP-50. The A90 is set up to run with 4 zones, and does the brunt of the work. The sampler is I think an Akai (S series, not sure which), and he has an old hardware sequencer to control it when required. I don't know which model this is, but I suspect it's what he was using back in the day. I know the sampler has his original sounds, and they have to be loaded via a working SCSI zip drive, working being the operative word! I got asked once if I happened to have one on me....!

To the left he has a Yamaha EX5 (great piece of kit, much underrated - I call mine "Dial a Beck").

I can guarantee though that you won't find a soft synth within 100 yards of JB.....

I've modelled my rig on a combination of JB's original one and current one, plus a bit of Genesis in there. Just experimenting with soft synths but I don't trust PC's...

PM me and we can swap notes - it's always nice to see what others are up to...

DBP Very Happy
dtscape

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I got the imression he wasn't into the modern stuff so much. To be honest neither am I.... Its all designed for dance and R&B these days!!!! lol
I'd like to know what sequencer and sampler he uses? He has a very particular sound. Some of it is great!!!! His style of playing is a bit odd... I think that comes from his musical up bringing. Thats a good thing by the way!!! lol
My setup, at the moment, is quite dated. I've just recently taken a year out of gigging due to the expansion of my family, by 2!!! I was using a Korg Triton classic(moss board, scsi, 64meg ram), Roland D50 (a hint at John Becks old rig!!!) and a Korg 01/Wfd(which is what I use to run sequencer stuff).
I'm looking at an upgrade, partially due to the fact I'll be selling my pa rig. So I'm looking at 2 choices at the moment... A Kurzweil PC3 with a Roland Fantom X7 or the softsynth route... which is what a few pro's are going for these days(Jem Godfrey is just about to try this, Neal Morse, Roine Stolt, Daniel Guildenlow to name a few!!!!). But I have the same concerns as you on the softsynth ... It seems so expandable but I suppose it all depends on the spec of the pc/laptop and what you do with it.
I've been contemplating this for several months, ever since I started taking the time out, and still change from day to day.
Trouble is there is so much out there and what doesn't help is that I'm not entirely sure what direction I'll be going in when I start playing again.
superjx10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understand fully.

I have a D50, JX10, Gem S2 and EX5 as my black and whites, arranged 2 and 2 in a 90 deg V, plus a Roland AX1 remote. They all go into the S2 which has a wonderful built in MIDI patchbay, and drive a rack with a JV-1080 (rack version of XP50), Korg TR-Rack and a good old U220. From all this lot, I can get any prog sound I need, either from the original instruments, or samples. or from the rack via the S2 patching. So I press 1 button, and the whole of the Genesis medly is plumbed in. (we do quite an authentic sounding Los Endos, with the mellotron choir and the lead synth...) so I really don't feel the need to buy a Fantom or such like. I had a Juno-G for about 6 months but sold it as it made good noises but was nasty to play.

I'd love an A90 but they weigh stupidly heavy! I've chosen nice light-touch keyboards to actually play, as my master controllers, and they have the occasional benefit of making great sounds by themselves.

The best software for live control appears to be Brainspawn Forte - Mark Kelly of marillion uses this to control his who;e rig and soft synths - and the most interesting soft synth set I've found is the Arturia Vintage stuff - minimoog, Jupiter 8, Prophet etc. They work great on my PC for recording, but I really don't know how good they'll be live.

I'll try to find out for deffo what sequencer/sampler JB uses - stand by...

DBP Smile
dtscape

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd add this link on here... Its a video recording of my last band (disbanded at the end of last year). Quality isn't great but it served its purpose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_08lJH4lb2o

I'll add a couple of audio links as well at some point as we did a couple of It Bites covers .... Namely "Kiss Like Judas" and "Calling All The Heroes"... The recording of CATH was on a night when we played it a bit too fast but hey ho... Wink I'll add it when I get the chance!!!
pink skinny head

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul...about time you got your arse on here...i had wondered who dtscape was(with all this keyboard talk)...and then i saw your pici.Who the f**k is PSH and how does he know me,i here you ask....ahhhhhaaaa..im sure you can guess!!
Dan...you may recall one of my pm's to you talking about a band down my way called ZAMBU...check out the link dtscape sent and listen to CATH...with the proper middle bridge,its superb mate!!!
dtscape

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... one of 2 but which one?!!!!! GLEN I BELIEVE!!!!!!

The link above is to a video of "KarmaKiller+Intro"... not CATH. I will add a link to the audio of that soon.

Question is "Where can I upload the audio so people can hear it?"

Anyone?!!!!!
pink skinny head

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct Mr Barnes...it is i.Makes a nice change from Mr Gig dosen't it..only diffrence is we wont be the only ones talking about prog mate...lol!!
superjx10

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God, 3 keyboard players talking about prog.... is it Christmas?

DBP Wink
Gman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My God, 3 keyboard players talking about prog.... is it Christmas?

Or is it a glitch in the Matrix
dtscape

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be worse.....

It could be 3 guitarists !!!!!! Arghhhhhhhh....... No one would get a note in!!!!! Laughing

I've been talking with Jem on the Frost* forum and he's actually decided against the softsynth route for now (he says he's going to have it running behindthe scenes at a few gigs to see if it copes!!!!). Can't get out of him what he will be using.... keeping his cards close to his chest.

Any news on the Sampler and sequencer?

I had a look at samplers a while back. Particularly the Akai rack ones. S6000 looked good but the Ram on them didn't seem to good (I think it was maxed at 256mb). Compare this to the Fantom X which can be 512mb it seems the better option too me... plus you get a good synth with it!!!!

Does anyone know where I can upload audio onto the web? (as I have a recording of my old band playing CATH I'd like to share with you all)
dtscape

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've finally got my hands on a Fantom X7. I've also got a few patches and samples on there way to me from a few Pro's.... Can't wait to get my hands on them thats for sure!!!!!

Still need to know if there is a web site where I can upload our versions of CATH and Kiss Like Judas.

Can anyone help.
Cheers
Paul B.
The Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the issue with using virtual synths live? Can't be loading times surely?
dtscape

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used virtual synths live yet.... I'd like to but I've heard so many horror stories I think I'll keep away until they are more reliable.
Main problems I've heard are latency(delay between hitting a note and hearing it) and, as I said above, reliability. I've heard about a few pro's that have had the laptops crash whilst during a gig. I just think I'll wait a bit before moving into that area.....
pink skinny head

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys...there must be someone out there who knows how dtscape can download audio onto this website....trust me,it'll be worth it.Ive known Paul for years and watched his band Zambu on many occasions....their version(the long version i might add)of CATH is stunning and im certain many of you guys will be blown away by it.
By the way Paul...is your forum name dtscape really"Dream Theater's cape"broken down by any chance....just a guess!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Musicians and Instruments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: