It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheffield tonight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandgrown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Sheffield tonight Reply with quote

The best gig I ever went to in my entire life was It Bites in Preston Guild Hall in 1988 on the OATW tour.

Tonight came very close.

Thank you It Bites - we are not worthy.

Very Happy
ianwebster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent gig, indeed. And it was my first 'sit down' IB gig, too. I was worried that it might stifle the bouncing but, actually, it gave the guys a wonderful opportunity to have their talents put more obviously on show. And they took full advantage of that, allowing us to fully appreciate the band's true brilliance.

I think that, sometimes, the venues used are simply not capable of allowing the full range of instrumentation to be heard properly but tonight, JB's keyboards were crystal clear, Mr Pom's bass was well focused and Bob was his usual powerhouse. From where I was sitting, JM's guitar was a little low in the mix but, all in all, a great sound tonight. Fabulous gig.

And I would echo some others here who have said that Aynsley Lister is worth getting to see for his whole 60 minute set. Some great rockin blues!

Last edited by ianwebster on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
ianwebster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - and I love the Titanic Strat!
dewdrop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to make it to Sheffield. Car problems made it close and then of course there was the worry I wouldn't then make it back! I'd only bought the ticket on Thursday as wasn't sure I'd be around.

It was a bit bizarre being sat down and it all seemed a bit subdued, but gradually I could see a wave of nodding heads!

Anyway, having not seen them since they first went back on the road, it was well worth the gamble of possibly having to call the RAC to get home. (and the added worry that I may have chosen either a) a dodgy car park or b) one that closed before I wanted to leave) All reasons why I left pretty sharpish after the gig (apart from stopping for a copy of the single!)

Also having seen Aynsley Lister posters around here for years, it was about time I actually saw one of his sets and was worth arriving just about in time.

Oh - and I would have been at that Preston gig as well!
The Green Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheffield tonight Reply with quote

sandgrown wrote:
The best gig I ever went to in my entire life was It Bites in Preston Guild Hall in 1988 on the OATW tour.

Tonight came very close.

Thank you It Bites - we are not worthy.

Very Happy

I was at that Preston gig too, and they were awesome. Glad you enjoyed Sheffield!
sandgrown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ dewdrop & The Green Man - wasn't Preston the most awesome gig ever?

Very different from last night re civilised seating vs hot sweaty jumping at Preston, but hey I was 18 then. Now I'm 40.

But both gigs very intimate. And last night it was a privilege just to watch the guys at such close quarters and be blown away by the fantastic sound quality.

And definitely the best setlist they've done since the comeback.

I've also just realised that Sheffield had a similar problem to Glasgow, in that there was a strict curfew. Ours was at 10:30, and Paddy reminded the band when they had 30 minutes left to play.

So at that point they had the choice of dropping Ghosts or Rose Marie.

Unfortunately, they dropped the wrong one. What a shame.

Still a cracking gig, mind.
Hilary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was all over so very quickly after weeks of anticipation. The best bit for me was finding that Row C was actually the front row! Very close up and personal. Thanks John, John, Bob & Lee for another brilliant evening in your company. Come back soon, yeah?
rob-m

Location: Wandering the Land of Prog. Quite often via a Pub and a Premier Inn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Hilary that was a suprise! Nice to be up close to the band though was a bit disconcerting to be able to rest my feet on the front of the stage (not that I did of course!) Good to meet you also..

Highlight was bouncing to KLJ with JM next to me having sort of joined the crowd Wink Marvellous....
russhd
It Bites Forum Quiz Champion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was a good set by the guys - I did feel sorry for them though with the less than brilliant light show (did you see what I did there?). JB had to have a lamp brought on so that he could see the settings for his keyboards! Maybe they should have lit the candles on the candlabra that JM has sitting on top of his amp!

Brilliant playing all round I thought. I think that UYP is a long overdue addition to the set (one of my favourite IB songs), and coupled with All In Red and others, brings a very 'heavy' feel to the set on this tour. Good to see some guitar changing going on too - the jangly Strat sound is perfect for the beginning of TTS in my opinion.

Couldn't believe our luck with the seats - being row C we naturally thought that we'd be three rows back, only to find out that we were in fact on the front row, dead centre! It was a trifle disconcerting being so close to the band though! It was good to sit and appreciate the playing, but glad that everyone stood at the end and bounced for KLJ.

Excellent pre and post gig drinks with Rob and Sue, and Dena and Bat, even if he was in danger of falling asleep into his beer! Hope you feel better today Bat! Good to catch up with IanW and Fogeyspasm at the gig too. Also had the pleasure of chatting to the guys - no choccy cake embarrassment this time thank goodness! What a great bunch of people they are.

Oh - and I'd like to thank Newton Faulkner for letting me have my photo taken with him, even though it was obvious I hadn't come to see him! What a nice chap!

Very Happy
superjx10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No choc cake? We'll have to make amends on Friday, assuming you've found a way to get there, Russ!

DBP Wink
timberwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a fantastic gig (again). The thing I love about IB is that it's so difficult to predict what they're going to do... basically they can do everything and anything could and, eventually, probably will, happen. Over the years I've heard...

They'll never play OATW live
They'll never play Bullet In A Barrel
They'll concentrate on the old material
They'll always play CATH

and of course

They'll never be any good without FD.

All turned out to be untrue. Which makes every IB gig such a fantastic experience because you never know what you're going to get! These days if they said they were going to perform the entire first album backwards I'd probably believe it - and I bet it would be brilliant!
sandgrown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apart from Wanna Shout, it would be brilliant! Wink
Ricksticks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a great day/night had by all,unusual setting but enjoyable none the less. They really are a great bunch of guys...thanks to you all for spending so much time with us chaps!! A nd thanks Lee for all your words of advice and support,they really did mean a lot matey!!
Good to see you and the missus again Rob-M,we will get that Moses Gate gig one day!!
I'd put a photo on but aint got a clue how! I am a complete technophobe!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: