It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dave Ling Review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Dave Ling Review Reply with quote

Monday 2nd November

"Francis Dunnery’s gig at Bush Hall was good, sometimes very good, other times like listening to muzak renditions of It Bites songs. I don’t know why he chose to call his band The New Progressives. FD would probably agree; at one point he joked about making the show more prog-friendly by putting keyboard player Tom Brislin, who has played with Yes, into a cape, further validating the tag by playing an instrument he actually invented – the Tapboard – during a performance which included ‘Back In NYC’ by Genesis. Marillion’s Steve Rothery walked onstage to play a lovely solo on Joy Division’s ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’. During the encore, Dunnery tantalised the crowd by fooling around with the intro to Genesis’ ‘Dancing with the Moonlit Knight’. Okay, I hear you cry… so why was the gig just not prog enough??!! For me, Dunnery and his band were merely deconstructing (and indeed slowing down) a selection of IB favourites, noodling away to extend them beyond all real necessity. Francis provided some hilarious banter and at times it worked marvellously, especially a delicate stab at Japan’s ‘Still Life in Mobile Homes’. It was fun to have seen once, but I probably wouldn’t go again. Here’s the set-list: ‘Kiss Like Judas’, ‘Whole New World’, ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’, ‘Calling To You’, ‘Still Life in Mobile Homes’, ‘Holiday’, Tapboard/Keyboard Duet, ‘Sister Sarah’, ‘Underneath Your Pillow’, ‘Yellow Christian’ and ‘Back In NYC’ with encores of ‘Let Us All Go’ and ‘Still Too Young To Remember’....."

B xx Razz

http://www.daveling.co.uk/diary.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Francis Dunnery All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: