It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It Bites Forum Musical Dog Collars Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Musicians and Instruments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brodie67

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just popped in for my annual post.....

To SuperJX10, Racing Hippo et al, Have a splendid day !

Brodie
superjx10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow us on Facebook.... if we get the technology to work...
RacingHippo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're having an absolute blast here. Now taking a much needed break in the pub.

So far we have successfully played:

Kiss Like Judas
Oh My God
Ghosts
Yellow Christian
Losers Day Parade (all the way through, first time. We won't pull that off again....)

Last edited by RacingHippo on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
russhd
It Bites Forum Quiz Champion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First pic from the studio folks sent from our correspondent on the spot Dena....

russhd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here are people erm....'resting'.....
russhd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what a cracking day that was. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and it was great to meet new faces too! There was a LOT of talent in that room and a lot of modesty too - everyone but everyone there was amazing at what they do. Thank you for the fantastic music, and especially Loser's Day Parade, which I was VERY impressed by!
Gman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sally and I had a blast, it was great to play a pile of IB songs and be entertained by Sarus doing covers of Tom Sawyer, The Ceiling Speaks and the Genesis medley.

We were on a real high for managing to make it through Losers Day Parade...glad you liked it Dena!

We even had impromptu renditions of Jump, Calling All the Heroes and Smooth Criminal!

Looking forwards to seeing some vid...and of course the next forum day.

Thanks to SuperJx for organising the day - we're happy to organise the next one if you fancy a break?
flamadiddle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, huge thanks to SuperJx for organising. Was a great time and well worth the journey. Definitely count me in for the next one Smile
RacingHippo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice comments, Dena Smile

It was great to put faces (and real names!) to forum names.
I still feel I'm very much the newb around here, so I was a little nervous at first, but everyone was so very welcoming. You're a fab lot Smile
And playing with you all was tremendous - as I said to some of you afterwards, it's so nice to be able to play with musicians who're talented enough to play really challenging music.
I hope I was up to par... Shocked

LDP.... I was SO impressed we got that near-as-dammit perfect first time. To say that we'd never played together at all before (Sal & Giles excepted of course) let alone practiced LDP was testament to the talent of those involved (or in my case, hours of practising the bugger!)
Seriously impressed, guys!

Jump was hilarioius. I've never tried to play that before, so it was a great excercise in thinking on my feet. Ditto Smooth Criminal. Who's idea was that??
Brilliant.

Definitely, definitely going to be at the next one!
I think I might learn some classic Rush before then though, just in case.......
superjx10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, was quite a blast...

We have some video of the day, and as soon as poss I will put a 10 min clip up on Youtube or something... it needs some spanky editing, as we did tend to talk a lot! Wink

@RacingHippo, newbee or not, you were absolutely spot on - these songs do take a long time to get right, and I for one was screwing up all over the place....!

And just for the record, we made a small amount for Cumbria, which Dena is passing on to Rachel on our behalf. That makes it all worthwhile for me.

So - as organiser, I'll sign this event off with one or two musings.

Firstly, I think the secret of these events is not to have them too often - the pressure to learn songs can be immense, and can lead to lack of enjoyment when you finally get to play them - OMATA being a case in point. I also think it's important to make sure that new people join in and don't feel intimidated or not good enough - nobody who dares to try these songs at all is "not good enough" in my opinion. So, next time, I'd be more than happy to bow out if another keyboard player would like a crack. In fact I'd actively encourage this, as the event needs to be bigger than the individual - otherwise it becomes a cliquey club and not a community - and this is something I really want to avoid. I hope you agree that we should all take this view.

Also, location - we've tried the Midlands and we got no northerners. We've tried the South, and we got one dedicated northerner (plus of course one exile - me). How far north do we need to go? maybe the best approach is to go to RacingHippo land - but bear in mind that we are much less likely to get special guest attendance if we go this way. What it would do is allow for a group of very dedicated forum bods who would simply find it difficult to attend due to transport, to be at the next one, either as a muso or a supporter - doesn't matter which - but it all builds on my previous point about refreshing the event with new faces.

(BTW, we did try very hard to get a special guest, and we were very close indeed.... then having to work for a living got in the way of both of them - take heed all you "Too Much Negativity" posters!)

Personally I think the next event should be August at the earliest, and should be in Yorkshire.

Opinions?

People, I dedicate this post.... to you all....!

DBP Smile
russhd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkshire?! S'truth - no excuses then! I'd better get practising....!!

Very Happy Very Happy
Jon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great fun guys. I was really impressed with the contributions from everyone involved. Gman, really nice tone. I never managed to get anything like that from my Warwick through an ABM.

Apologies for my hasty exit, but I really didn't want to miss PG and as anyone who knows me will tell you, I'll always find something that'll make me late (just ask Sarus).

Yorkshire? Hmmm, that might be just a bit too far for me...
RacingHippo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Yorkshire gets the vote, I'll happily arrange it.

I know just the place - Backfeed Studios in Black Dyke Mills, Queensbury. Yes, as in brass band. My now-retired band has rehearsed there for >5 years so I'm on good terms with the owners.
And the rooms are about twice the size of The Rhoom.

I might even be able to persuade Brodie67 to join in on Bass or Guitar or both.
Or even DBP's astoundingly-talented-but-rarely-seen bruvva, who sings like an angel and plays like a god (and knows most IB songs better than IB, probably)....

But I'm aware (from personal experience!) that it's a long way up for some.
I'm also aware that GMan has a plan involving Stafford, which would be fine for me.

Maybe we should take a vote on it? Could be an excuse for a poll.....
Gman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from Dan's post...

Maybe the way forwards is to say "Who's seriously interested in going to the next one, dependant on where it is".

If there's enough interest further North, it could be done there....then again, if the interest is further South, it would make sense to hold it there.

Or alternatively, if you'd like to attend but haven't so far, let us know why! If you haven't got the time to work stuff out, it's possible that others could lend a hand. I know from experience that it takes serious amounts of time and effort to work this stuff out, so can appreciate that that might be an obstacle.

I sincerely hope that people aren't put off by thinking they aren't good enough...or that it's only for musicians of a certain calibre. It really isn't the case - if you'd seen the Calling All the Heroes 'live' karaoke, I doubt anyone would feel intimidated!! Wink

It really would be fantastic to have some more or different people attend Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Musicians and Instruments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: