It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I love curry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Nothing to do with Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just made Julian's chicken vindaloo Rob. Followed the recipe exactly. Kasmiri chilies at the start, green cardamom, black pepper and lime juice, and that second addition of fresh garlic and ginger paste at the end. Out of this world! I'm feeling quite emotional. It must have been over 20 years since I've had a vindaloo of this quality. I will get to Chorley market at some point to thank him.

B xx Very Happy
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. Turns out the chillies I got weren't proper Kasmiri chillies! They were standard dried red long-stems. I've been all over the place trying to get some, but they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth. Success yesterday though and some arrived in the post from thespiceworks. Just made 5 portions of Julian's vindaloo, all nicely set aside in foil takeaway containers. The colour these relatively mild chillies impart has to seen to be believed (I doubled the amount) and they add a lovely extra layer of flavour. 4 currys are going in the freezer and, as it's Friday, I'll have one tonight. Had an update from Julian recently and at some point he's going to reveal his receipe for a dish called "Man Versus Curry". The hottest curry in Chorley. Can't wait!

B xx Very Happy
Gman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all this Bat - I've always been intrigued by home cooked BIR curries. I've got all the ingredients for the Dan Toombs curry base - hoping to give it a go this weekend but want to cook the garlic bit outside on the barby, but the weather's been cack.

Will report back when I've been de-curry-flowered!
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
Thanks for all this Bat - I've always been intrigued by home cooked BIR curries. I've got all the ingredients for the Dan Toombs curry base - hoping to give it a go this weekend but want to cook the garlic bit outside on the barby, but the weather's been cack.

Will report back when I've been de-curry-flowered!

Great stuff! You'll get fantastic results with that recipe. The recipe/method I use is somewhat different, but as Dan indicates there are many probably hundreds of ways to make the base gravy. One thing I would advise is to check the consistency of the mix at the end, when you've blitzed it with your hand-held blender. The end result should be thin and runny. If it isn't add some water. When you come to making your actual curry the gravy will reduce under high heat and this intensifies the flavours, and prevents burning of the ingredients.

B xx Very Happy
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made shami kebabs today. They are fabulous! Proper shamis, with delicately spiced minced lamb, dipped in egg, and shallow fried the way they should be done. Not like the greasy burgers topped with a fried egg and passed off as a shami here in Birmingham.

B xx Cool
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What with the hot weather of late I've given the curries a rest. Chicken tikka wraps all the way this week. They are awesome! Fantastic results using oven/grill, and barbeque. Fresh garlic/ginger paste is key for the marinade me thinks. Also did some pork tikka. I want a tandoor oven for the garden, but instead of just buying one reckon I'll be going with Mick's idea, i.e build one! Naantastic! In the meantime, I've just ordered a posh griddle pan from amazon, to improve on the meat searing.

B xx Smile
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm well made up. Managed to get a place on one of Julian's Curry Masterclass courses in October!

B xx Cool
Gman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I managed some time to knock up the base gravy using the Dan Toombs recipe. Nice and easy, worked well doing the stinky bit on the barbecue. Overall a very nice colour and good smell.

I firstly made a Tikka Masala using the DT recipe but it was poor to say the least. I've had better packet Tikka Masalas so that was a let down.

I moved on to Chicken Bhuna recipe (can't remember where from now) but that was better...more authentic BIR flavour but still lacking "that" flavour. I was also surprised with how much salt I had to add to give it some taste.

Tuesday night I decided to have a bash at a Pathia and used a recipe from the Curry Online forum. Whilst it was a bit of a faff, it was pretty good. I'd have been happy if I'd bought it from a curry house - I've certainly had worse takeaway curries before.

I think Tuesday's success was in part down to the recipe being that bit better and I seasoned my base gravy while it was defrosting. I also added 4 times the amount of oil which I think helped give it that BIR look and taste.

Based on the success of Tuesday night, Mrs Gman has allowed me to continue my smelly cooking affairs!

Next up will probably be a King Prawn Ceylon.
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
Well I managed some time to knock up the base gravy using the Dan Toombs recipe. Nice and easy, worked well doing the stinky bit on the barbecue. Overall a very nice colour and good smell.

I firstly made a Tikka Masala using the DT recipe but it was poor to say the least. I've had better packet Tikka Masalas so that was a let down.

I moved on to Chicken Bhuna recipe (can't remember where from now) but that was better...more authentic BIR flavour but still lacking "that" flavour. I was also surprised with how much salt I had to add to give it some taste.

Tuesday night I decided to have a bash at a Pathia and used a recipe from the Curry Online forum. Whilst it was a bit of a faff, it was pretty good. I'd have been happy if I'd bought it from a curry house - I've certainly had worse takeaway curries before.

I think Tuesday's success was in part down to the recipe being that bit better and I seasoned my base gravy while it was defrosting. I also added 4 times the amount of oil which I think helped give it that BIR look and taste.

Based on the success of Tuesday night, Mrs Gman has allowed me to continue my smelly cooking affairs!

Next up will probably be a King Prawn Ceylon.

Great stuff! Keep going. It won't be long before you make a curry and realise it's the best one you've ever tasted. Check out Julian's 2 part video on his youtube channel for chicken tikka masala and the use of Patak's pastes. I know what you mean by "that" flavour. Achieving it is not down to the amount of oil though. Good luck with the KPC, which I believe is basically a madras with coconut flour and lemon juice. I use Tescos Finest frozen raw king prawns (when they are on the half price offer). Pretty spectacular done with a tandoori marinade as well.

B xx Very Happy
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Voigt explaining how Chicken Jafflong is made at the Manzil restaurant. This series of videos are now being acknowledged by curry forums as up there with the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJXFvnVsIXs&list=UUXM2ne7ePM767NFKdizAHMg&index=6&feature=plcp

Enjoy!

B xx Razz
waveydavey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the posts on this thread in relation to curries you've consume Bat, I'm suprised that you have not been dawn raided by DEFRA as a threat to the environment. Or abducted for research into alternative geo-thermal energy!! Shocked What a monster thread - long may it continue
Gman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I did a Paneer Tikka Dupiza and Chicken Ceylon. The Dupiaza was ok...not amazing but good - I wouldn't have been disappointed if I'd bought it but it wasn't anything to shout about.

The Ceylon on the other hand was fantastic...truly excellent. I'd have been really pleased if I'd bought it - in fact Mrs Gman said "you can stop experimenting now and just make this from now on".

It needed a tad more heat to it but that's down to me having a ridiculously lot chili powder and not being entirely sure how hot it was going to work out.
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gman wrote:

The Ceylon on the other hand was fantastic...truly excellent. I'd have been really pleased if I'd bought it - in fact Mrs Gman said "you can stop experimenting now and just make this from now on".

Result!

B xx Very Happy
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pics from my BIR kitchen.

Base gravy ingredients in a 4 l Prestige High Dome pressure cooker.

Main spices at the ready

Base gravy end result. 5.9 l pan

Garam Masala

Fresh garlic and ginger paste.

B xx Very Happy
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bat - I am SERIOUSLY impressed! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Nothing to do with Music! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: