It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still too young to remember - single and album version
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Still too young to remember - single and album version Reply with quote

I always thought there was some subtle differences in the two (apart from length), but listening to them on Itunes this morning, am I correct in thinking they're actually in different keys to each other?

Why?
UglyFrog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't noticed that! Thought they were both in D... are they dramatically different keys?

Or perhaps your CD player span too quickly when ripping it your iPod... Wink
orangefiltersky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don`t think that`s possible. Why should they re-record the song in another key? The only difference is the shorter guitar solo on the single version, if I remember correctly.
But in the new line up with JM they play some of the songs a half note lower, I`ve been told. But you didn`t mean that, obviously.
AJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UglyFrog wrote:
I hadn't noticed that! Thought they were both in D... are they dramatically different keys?

Or perhaps your CD player span too quickly when ripping it your iPod... Wink

CD player? tape to tape you mean. Very Happy

I'm no music student, but it sounds like the single is raised a semitone....possibly

Confused Question Question
AJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangefiltersky wrote:
I don`t think that`s possible. Why should they re-record the song in another key? The only difference is the shorter guitar solo on the single version, if I remember correctly.
But in the new line up with JM they play some of the songs a half note lower, I`ve been told. But you didn`t mean that, obviously.

I don't think it's re recorded, I think it's been re jigged in the studio.

The two versions I have are on the CD single (along with "Having a good day" and "Meet you in the spring", and follow each other.

They're definitely different.

I don't know if different key is the correct explanation, but they're def different.
DS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was (is?) quite a common practice when mastering singles to speed them up just a little, to give them a bit more 'oomph' so maybe that was what happened here? I'll try an A / B test with the single and album versions tonight..
AJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DS wrote:
It was (is?) quite a common practice when mastering singles to speed them up just a little, to give them a bit more 'oomph' so maybe that was what happened here? I'll try an A / B test with the single and album versions tonight..

Never knew that.
wayfarer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 3 inch CD single and I thought it was slightly different
Gman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It's also quite common to do different mixes - say 1 with higher level in the vocals, 1 with louder guitars, 1 with louder backing vocals, 1 with louder keys etc. This gives the record company more to play with and sometimes the mastering process can slightly change the feel or apparent levels of tracks within a song.

There are quite a few tracks out there that were either speeded up or slowed down in the mastering process to give them a slightly different feel.
russhd
It Bites Forum Quiz Champion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listening to them now. Definitely not in a different key, but there is something slightly different about the sound, so they're either mixed or mastered differently. Also the opening guitar riff is different, as the 'wah's' are different on each version and the riff is repeated twice on the album version.

I think!

Still bloomin' marvellous though, whichever version you listen to!

Very Happy
frenchyphil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are the single and 12" versions of the original single (with the blue sleeve) and the remixed 12" and 7" versions (red sleeve with band picture) are also different . And the vinyl mix is also different. On the EMISL vinyl LP, some tracks (STYTR, Posituvely animal, people of america) are really different in the mix, not only in the mastering (more backing vocals on Positively, more guitar bits in People...).
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember listening to Postively Animal on vinyl (in the olden days when I used to have a record player) and the mix definitely seemed different, something I noticed more toward the end of the song.

However, I must admit that I just put the difference in sound down to a different sound system and different format. It didn't occur to me that there would be a different mix for the vinyl and CD.
0ldman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7'' versions had slightly shortened versions of the main guitar theme (used in the intro and after the middle-Cool wheras the 12'' was a direct lift of the album track (apart from the "I think it's 'cos Dolly's died").

The 2nd release of both had been remixed slightly (I think it amounted to more "reverb" effects).

Pretty much the same was true for the original and re-issued version of Underneath Your Pillow - the only real standout difference was that the yodel-yodel-yodel-grunt was much higher in the mix and had more effects layered on it in the remix.
Tanjobidesu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0ldman wrote:
... the yodel-yodel-yodel-grunt...

I love all this technical talk, me Wink
AJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0ldman wrote:
The 7'' versions had slightly shortened versions of the main guitar theme (used in the intro and after the middle-Cool wheras the 12'' was a direct lift of the album track (apart from the "I think it's 'cos Dolly's died").

The 2nd release of both had been remixed slightly (I think it amounted to more "reverb" effects).

I knew about the length thing, but they're is definitely a difference tone wise.

I have both on the mini disc, one after the other, and I'm almost certain there's a semi tone shift up or down...I know because I flick between the intros singing the opening guitar notes!!! Very Happy Yes, I'm bored.

P.S. Isn't it "I think it's cos Dalis died" ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: