It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your first guitar....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Musicians and Instruments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muleboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Your first guitar.... Reply with quote

Howdy musos!

After years of looking in secondhand ads and the ubiquitous Ebay I finally found the first bass I ever owned (over 20 years ago - eek!) - a candy apple red Yamaha BB300. I had to have it - it adds to my ongoing mid-life crisis nicely.

It got me thinking though - what was your first guitar? Was it a Commodore, a Hondo, a Westone, or a Satellite? Or worse?!

Mule
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shitty cheap classical that I never learned to play.
Pedro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An anonymous strat-alike...probably made from plywood or driftwood or something.
First named axe was an Aria Pro II Les Paul-ish thing.
percyslice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hohner explorer shaped ,I wish I still had it great memories
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
John Gillham

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a Fenton Weil bass (made by Burns I believe). Got married and stopped playing for 30,000 years. Now I'm having a second adolescence and have a Fernandes Retrorocket (a Strat type guitar with this great built in sustainer p/u). Haven't quite mastered John Mitchell/Frank Dunnery stuff yet - have to make do with Smoke on the Water, 12 bar blues or a little fingerpicking folk. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Embarassed
parist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First gutar was a Kay complete with amp. The tension was all to whack with the result being I could only play the bottom four strings in a finger plucking fashion... and so another bassist was born. Followed this by borrowing various Ricky copies until first proper bass - a 1978 Fender Mustang which many years later I stupidly sold for 90. Currently using Warwick Streamer and fretless Jazz however will always regret that Mustang!
Sean

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 8 years of playing classiacl guitar, got hold of a Kay Guitar les paul rip off. Moved to bass and bought a hohner bass headless with a square body ( cheap stinberg type).

Now play 1962 fender jazz and wal fretless, gibson sg, Taylor acoustic,

still miss my Hohner, first steps into bass taken on that axe.
muleboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the Wal Sean, I loved those basses - saw Flea playing one on some documentary or something and it brought all those 80's memories flooding back. Ian Waller RIP!

I can totally understand the yearning for that 'formative' instrument we all remember (hence the original thread) and those Hohners weren't bad at all, and I can't describe the joy at finding my Yammy on eBay and getting it! I guess it's sad but hey, as my 40th birthday looms, it's cheaper than a pocket-rocket or a trophy girlfriend!

Mule
sf-69

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as Dave... a very cheap classical was my first guitar. Can't even remember the make of it? I'd just given up piano lessons and was badgering my parents for a guitar. he he
"How are you going to learn that if you can't stick with piano lessons?", asked my Dad!! ha ha
Anyway, I got it for Christmas 1978.
My second was an EKO acoustic. I've still got it, and even though it wasn't that expensive, it's still one of the best sounding acoustics i've ever played!! Really nice tone, and stays in tune perfectly.
I've since fitted a pick-up, and use it for home recording.
My first bass was a "kay". Looked like an SG, and had flat-wound strings. Hmmm!!!!
My first "proper" guitar was a 1989 USA Stratocaster, which I bought as a 21st birthday present to myself in 1990. It was 469.
Can just about get a Jap-Strat for that now! Shocked
The Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a ukelele when I was 3, but first bass was a Hohner precision copy, first guitar is an Antoria 12 / 6 string double neck (which I still have, and is sounding good..)
Sean

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muleboy wrote:
Loving the Wal Sean, I loved those basses - saw Flea playing one on some documentary or something and it brought all those 80's memories flooding back. Ian Waller RIP!

I can totally understand the yearning for that 'formative' instrument we all remember (hence the original thread) and those Hohners weren't bad at all, and I can't describe the joy at finding my Yammy on eBay and getting it! I guess it's sad but hey, as my 40th birthday looms, it's cheaper than a pocket-rocket or a trophy girlfriend!

Mule

I understand the feeling. I had a warwick thumb it was the 63 one every made and ended up selling it to pay mortage. I often look out for it on ebay etc.

My 40 is a couple if years away and i was thinking more BMW tourer, or a big Trace Elliot rig. I have now decided just to go for a long walk. Coast to coast.
Bonzodrumz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

I'm still waiting for my first guitar.............

I'm hoping for a Jimi Hendrix or a Pete Townsend Crash and Burn 1968 Vintage model!

Bonzodrumz Wink

http://www.myspace.com/thebraziliansband - we have a new song called Fuzzface!
lawrence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh - My first guitar was a Satellite Gibson ES335. copy. It was sheite. A pure feedback machine with a dodgy tremolo neck. I really loved it to bits at the time though. Had it for 3 years and finally replaced it with a pointy headstock Westone thing which was awful! Then a crappy Les Paul Copy - Which was worse. Then a Westone SX which I sort of fell in love with and played for 6 years. After that I entered the dodgy world of Ibanez and worse... I ended up having my male menopause early and now own 2 RG470L's, a Fender Strat, a crap but cute Westfield acoustic electric, a Variax and recently, a cheap Ibanez bass that I have fallen in love with:)

I write cack songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=253469
muleboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing You had it tough Lawrence! Hindsight's great isn't it - if I still owned all the shite guitars I've had over the years I could open a shop (not that I'd sell anything). Some of the worst ones were....

A plywood (Jedson?) jap Tele copy. I made it into a fretless. Why?
A pale blue Yamaha superstrat with a Floyd copy - 160 of abject misery.
A pearl Westone pointy-headed bass so heavy I could hardly lift it.
A horrible weird Les Paul/Explorer hybrid (I know!) made by Egypt in Scotland (or maybe the other way round).

Don't even get me started on amps! The 80's were a valve-free decade for me - oh the buzzy preamp distortion!! Horrible!!

Mule
MooBass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon All!

I'm a bit late to this one but thought I'd share with you anyway!

I started out on Clarinet and Saxophone (both Yamaha) when I was 5. Unfortunately for my parents, rock / pop took over my musical life when I was 14!

My first bass was borrowed from school during a summer holiday - an unmarked SG Bass copy. My first owned bass which I still have, was a Hohner Jack headless bass which I used to think was very cool Cool

I went through a stage of using a mixture of Fender Precisions and Jazz basses but didn't really like the sounds I was getting, so I moved to Musicman Stingrays. I still have my 1990 black beauty now but don't take it gigging.

I had a lull of about 10 years where I didn't play outside of my music room at home and then I got the urge to play again and have been in our band for nearly 2 years now.

My current basses are Warwick Thumb 5NT, Thumb 5NT Fretless and a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 5 string. I have fallen in love with Warwick basses, they cost a fortune, Mrs Moo hates them because I want to buy another!!

I also have a Rickenbacker 250 guitar, however it has 6 funny thin strings on it which confuses me Confused !!

Cheers,

Moo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Musicians and Instruments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: