It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fender
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as with any instrument there are huge diffrences between makes. Both fender and Gibson are without question top quality instruments.

The main diffrence is the sound. Gibson SG are much warmer sounding guitars pure rock AC/DC, Black sabbath. The Fender has a much brighter sound. There are many reasons for this Wood, pick ups, neck, amp etc etc. I found the main diffrence was when FD was shreading. The SG did not lend itself fully to the original WTTWC guitar sound. It was brilliant when playing bar cords etc, but lost a little during solos ( fast ones). Its a really minor point. I own an SG just like FD played, have played it for 18 years, love it to bits.

I would have loved to see that strat high up, on FD again, where a white strat should be.
Dunneryfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean wrote:

I would have loved to see that strat high up, on FD again, where a white strat should be.

It was at egremont, it was like he used to play it 20 years ago.

John L.
backhouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan king is indeed the guitarist from level 42 and the nathan king touring with FD :

go to www.backhouse.org.uk and scroll down to the last pic - second from the right in green t-shirt[/img]

sorry - posted under wrong topic. see nik kershaw postings
hairygit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunneryfan wrote:
Sean wrote:

John L.

Hey, John, he didn't play the Strat at Egremont - it spent all evening on a stand. I was wondering if the reason he was using the SG was because of the wider neck which is very similar to a Taylor. The Fender neck is quite a lot narrower (although deeper) and the string spacing that much closer. Since he's been playing the Taylor 615 for ages, a Gibson neck would certainly feel more natural. Actualy, I thought the SG sounded brilliant, but then I've always been a Gibson fan.

Have fun at Manchester!

Regards,
Clive
Mac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself & Johnnyboy were talking to him after the gig..apparantley the SG had been mistrung with 9's instead of his favoured 10's....as you know the size of FD's hands the 9's were moving all over the place!..he didnt favour the strat cos he was wanting an all out rock sound & it would only clash with Flammans strat sound.."From the horses mouth"...i cant give any more away as he's a rather large chap....He just fancied a change from the strat thats all!..also the SG was the el cheapo "The SG" model with a dimarzio in the back with a single coil tap switch
Dunneryfan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hairygit wrote:
Dunneryfan wrote:
Sean wrote:

John L.

Hey, John, he didn't play the Strat at Egremont - it spent all evening on a stand. I was wondering if the reason he was using the SG was because of the wider neck which is very similar to a Taylor. The Fender neck is quite a lot narrower (although deeper) and the string spacing that much closer. Since he's been playing the Taylor 615 for ages, a Gibson neck would certainly feel more natural. Actualy, I thought the SG sounded brilliant, but then I've always been a Gibson fan.

Have fun at Manchester!

Regards,
Clive

hee hee, well whatever it was it was bloody high up like it used to be.

I can't keep up with the techinal stuff on here. Rolling Eyes

John L.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Francis Dunnery All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: