It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robin 2: Was I the only one who thought it stank?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
0ldman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Robin 2: Was I the only one who thought it stank? Reply with quote

I never thought I write this post - I've been to every FD gig in the midlands for the last half-dozen years and loved every one. I'm a fan - honest and unashamed.

That said, I have to state for the record that Mr Dunnery's output recently has left me cold.

The Gulley Flats boys was self-indulgent, flat and uninteresting, and as for last night...

When I first heard that Frank was planning to tour with a band, I was at work just casually browsing his website. I read the news and stood up. It struck such a chord that I unconsciously physically reacted to it by standing up from my seat. I was grinning like a loon when I sat back down. Not exactly jumping for joy, but not bad for an "in the office" reaction.

My heart dipped a little when I heard "Feels Like Summertime" last week, but I have an over-developed optimism gland so stayed on track.

Totally derailed last night by the second song.

My problem was this (and it was prevalent in **almost** every song in the set: needless noodling.

Frank couldn't help himself - from the opening number onwards, there were extended widdly solos, duels with keyboard player, solo rounds between himself, keyboards and his 2nd guitarist and so on. It was horribly self-indulgent. I honestly think he forgot his audience was there, from time-to-time.

It was seemed to me that I wasn't the only person feeling this way - Flamman (the 2nd guitarist) and Dorie Jackson looked more than a little bored by the 2nd half of the set - the only people really enjoying themselves on stage were FD and his Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall clone keyboard player.

To give some idea how long this went on for, the entire set consisted of the WTTWC album, 4 IB tracks (UYP was assassinated into a twinkly ballad, which I've seen him play as a solo acoustic track and is quite charming in that setting - not so here) and not much else. That's at best 75-80 mins of material, but he didn't get offstage until way past 11pm.

Sorry FD - you completely lost me last night. I'll think twice about future gigs and albums.
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think batchain may agree with some of this.
Mooncat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with constant noodling point - Frank, genius though he is was bit like a kid who'd had a nice new electric guitar and Marshall for Christmas - "now i can play really fast and really loud, weh hey here we go!!!".

That said I thought the songs actually sounded way better than on the record, and I'd forgotten what a great song 'Another Day' is.

PS - had Nathan King borrowed his shirt from his brother's 'not touched since the 80's' closet !!!!!
sf-69

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm! - well I thoroughly enjoyed his "twiddling"!
That's what Frank's all about to me... playing runs up and down the fretboard all the time!
He's good at it, so why not?

Yeah, I agree, he did look like he was in a world of his own at some points, but I took that as being "in" to what he was doing. Getting into the groove!

The "duelling" was akin to that he did with David Sancious on the last tour, and could have been slightly shorter, you're right... but that's only 'cause I'm not really into keyboards, and would rather have heard more of Francis' solo-ing!!

Crikey, Flamman's jeans were tight!! I think he would be more suited to a Kings of Leon gig, than FD!!! Shocked
Sean

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not disappointed but i am not shouting about it either.. The self-indulgent, side has always been there with FD.

Yes Dorrie and fling flam were clearly in a diffrent world. Holding a tamborine for almost two hours and having to will yourself to use it must be hard.

I thought using the SG was not the best choice it did not provide the clarity his fender would have. Fling flam guitar sound was crisp.

I love his shreading always have always will. This show was a FD show, which i am pleased about. I was worried he might try and re-create IB. This is a totally diffrent band. They did not have the force of IB. To my humble ears you had

Bass: heard it some times
Drums: Nice
Dorie: what we havin for tea
Flam: nice nice
Keyboards: Nice but " leave it alone"
FD: loud as Fuc*

It was close but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Before40

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Robin 2: Was I the only one who thought it stank? Reply with quote

0ldman wrote:
When I first heard that Frank was planning to tour with a band, I was at work just casually browsing his website. I read the news and stood up. It struck such a chord that I unconsciously physically reacted to it by standing up from my seat. I was grinning like a loon when I sat back down. Not exactly jumping for joy, but not bad for an "in the office" reaction.
Totally derailed last night by the second song.
My problem was this (and it was prevalent in **almost** every song in the set: needless noodling.
To give some idea how long this went on for, the entire set consisted of the WTTWC album, 4 IB tracks (UYP was assassinated into a twinkly ballad, which I've seen him play as a solo acoustic track and is quite charming in that setting - not so here) and not much else. That's at best 75-80 mins of material, but he didn't get offstage until way past 11pm.

Sorry FD - you completely lost me last night. I'll think twice about future gigs and albums.

Thanks for an honest review - I decided last week not to go for many of the reasons you have confirmed above - I too was excited at first by the thought FD plugging in but then had second thoughts on hearing the FLST download.
Now reading your thread i feel a bit more justified in my decision.
Thank-You!
P.s. - I'll still buy the DVD if it ever gets released - though still waiting for the "Grass Virgins Live" one from year 2000 to be released!
sf-69

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Robin 2: Was I the only one who thought it stank? Reply with quote

Before40 wrote:
Now reading your thread i feel a bit more justified in my decision.

I think you're making a big mistake Shocked
Mooncat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with sf-69 on this one. I'm still glad I went, and would urge people who are undecided to go along and make their own minds up. AS I said both in this thread and elsewhere, the songs sounded so much better than the album and I always say better to do something and then regret it than not do it and regret that!!
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed it and will be going again on Friday. BUT, I can find fault with parts of the show.
Yes - Dorie did look a bit like a rabbit caught in headlights. Not sure why she was there to be honest.
Yes - a bit too much guitar noodling expecially in Feels Like Summertime when all I really wanted to hear was Midnight which I knew was coming next.
Yes - only 2 It Bites songs and Underneath Your Pillow was destroyed.
Yes - bass player was a bit of a prat.
Yes - keyboard player did look like Hugh whatshisname!

BUT BUT BUT BUT

Francis rocked out and that is something I wanted to hear since It Bites split. Generally they were pretty faithful versions of the WTTWC songs. In particular the opening salvo of the title track, Mr No No and All I Ever Wanted was superb. Most of the band seemed to be enjoying it, great drumming from Tony Beard, Flamman was a great foil for FD and even got a few solos here and there. Jackal to finish was awesome.

FACT - this was not It Bites it was FD rocking out and anyone who didn't expect self indulgence must have been kidding themselves. Roll on Friday!
sf-69

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stood right at the front last night underneath the bass player, and looking up at him singing I kept thinking to myself, "blimey... his mouth is so much like Mark King from Level 42!!!"

... did someone say it's his brother? - That explains that then. Ha ha Rolling Eyes
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, thoroughly enjoyed last night’s show! Bit of a rollercoaster really; thought the song arrangements varied from good, a bit odd and, once-or-twice, very odd indeed. For me it all started brilliantly. Down the local boozer with ardent supporters! The support band were OK; a bit like the Arctic Monkeys with a splash-of-The-Clash. Very young band and fair-play to them. A good turn out at the Robin and that made for a great atmosphere. Frank, I thought, was very good, it was great to see him play electric again and hope he does more. His stage presence and ability have always worked for me and last night was no exception; no complaints from me on that one, although he didn’t really nail the “Jackal” solo did he? Frank’s vocals were excellent, especially since he apparently picked up the flu on coming to the UK.

On reflection, I felt Vettese wasn’t a good choice for keyboards and systematically ruined many of the songs. Technically brilliant, but no real-feel for what was going on with zero restraint. I tried to ignore his contribution, but that proved impossible, as he played more notes than the rest of the band put together, including Frank! The interplay solos with Frank rarely worked. Felt the rest of the band was good, except for Dorie Jackson, who did indeed look out-of-place and was a total misery for most of the set. Her vocals were fine, but wonder if there was something badly wrong with her; whatever it was, the video cameras were out in force last night. I wish her well. Highlights for me were Welcome to the Wild Country and Midnight. I’d have settled for no real lows, but the versions of “Feels like Summertime” and “Underneath your Pillow” were most definitely not-for-me. Still, a great if not outstanding gig. It would be interesting to know how the Bilston show compared with the previous dates? May well go to Manchester myself!

B xx Razz
Sean

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reflecting on last night all day and to be honest . I have come up with more difficulties.

It has taken Years for FD to Gig this album and in my opinion he has left it to long. It's to late some of the songs were almost like two diffrent bands were playing on that stage.

Keyboard man needs to go back to Dorset and continue cooking road kill.

They ruined UYP by turning it into a soft lounge act song with a reggae middle section.

And above all what struck me was that when i saw IB nearly a year ago now, i felt compelled to move to the front and sing my heart out. Last night i found myself moving away from the stage.
sf-69

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean wrote:
They ruined UYP by turning it into a soft lounge act song with a reggae middle section.
And above all what struck me was that when i saw IB nearly a year ago now, i felt compelled to move to the front and sing my heart out. Last night i found myself moving away from the stage.

He's been playing it pretty much that way for a while now. You should be thankful you've seen it with a full band... normally it's done with a drum machine!
I think it's a great version. We had enough rockin' out with the (almost) faithful reproduction of WTTWC, so it was nice to have a couple of "mellow" moments thrown in. Smile
As for singing your heart out... I was singing my heart out right at the front!! I wasn't at the IB gig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Francis Dunnery All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: