It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drums and drummers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Musicians and Instruments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Drums and drummers Reply with quote

Lets have a thread about drummers. tell us about your favourite drummers, your're own set up if you play etc.

I play in a band called Spinnn' Lizards ( www.myspace.com/spinninlizards ). I have a Pearl Export rock set up, quite old but in excellent nick. I use Paiste 302 cymbals and have hats, 12" splash, 14", 16" and 18" crash cymbals plus 20" ride. I know they're budget and don't have the best sound but it's a matter of cost. I'm going to upgrade them as and when finance permits. Quite fancy the signature range to be honest. Currently using carbosticks which I quite like.

Favourite drummer - tricky. Sir Bob of Dalton of course, also like Lars Ulrich, Mike Portney, Ian Mosley.
patch

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEIL PEART ! NO QUESTION ! Ive got a yamaha practice kit that i bought for ninety quid from a carboot , used it live hunderds of times ! More than payed for itself , now resides in a mates loft ! Havent played for years . Ps Paiste cymbals bottom of the range .
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Peart is awesome but not my style of drumming i.e. incredibly complex!
patch

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my style either Dave (IE straight ahead no nonesense no frills no solos) But bloody good nonetheless !
patch

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH ! PS Gary "HARRY" James from THUNDER , No frills but a great drummer just the same .
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems this thread is specially for us patch!!! Harry James is a very straight forward rockin' drummer. I also used to like Michael Lee alot. he was in Little angels, then The Cult, then played with Page and Plant.
sf-69

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an old Tama kit off the drummer in my band last September, and only started playing then. I'm coming on alright, even though i say so myself. It's just the basic setup; 3 toms (incl. side tom), crash and ride cymbals, with a splash attached to the left of the hi-hat. (Cymbals by Meinl).

Without question, Stewart Copeland is the greatest drummer ever to have lived! (IMO anyway Smile)
Failing that, Phil Collins (don't laugh) is amazing! (forget the cheesy love songs... he's the man!!)
patch

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like cheesy love songs ! Check out at least one track from every THUNDER album (usually track three ive noticed !) I remember one of my first drumming experiences , My dad used to take me down to the practice studios in town (macclesfield) One of the up and coming rock bands used to practice there every week (SILVERWING) , I used to sit in and listen thinking id love to have a go of the drums . Anyway , when it came for them to have a break I asked the drummer if i could have a go , which he kindly obliged . The kit he was using was a TAMA with double bass drums (IT WAS SILVER OF COURSE !), I remember the sticks being like tree trunks ! After that all I wanted to do was play the drums . About twelve months later I played my first gig with my dad at a working mens club near stoke , I was about twelve at the time , That was twenty six years ago (JESUS!) Im getting old !
Tanjobidesu

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top drummers (in no particular order, because their styles are so different):

- Carl Palmer - I have no idea how he manages to do rolls that fast! Have you ever seen him doing his solo on JUST a snare drum? He plays the top, the sides, the underneath, all in perfect time. His drumming for ELP is just superb, especially on Brain Salad Surgery.

- Phil Collins - you didn't have to tell me not to laugh! I feel it is a major tragedy that many housewives simply don't realise what an excellent drummer he is, because you can't tell from his recent work! If you've seen 'The Musical Box', you get to see just how good he was, because the drummer does a really good job of imitating him.

- Jon Hiseman (Colosseum/Colosseum 2/Paraphernalia) - another guy who does rolls as if he's got 4 arms instead of the usual 2. Regularly does 10-minute drum solos that have you rivetted the whole way through. He used to have this section where he would get a drum roll going, throw a stick up in the air, grab another one, and proceed to juggle the three sticks whilst keeping the roll going perfectly! He was also the first person that I saw who starts a fast roll on the snare, then starts a slow roll on the double bass drums, and proceeds to gradually increase the speed of the roll on the bass drums whilst simultaneously slowing down the roll on the snare. And then he does the whole thing in reverse!

- Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) - what can I say? He makes complicated drumming sound easy, when we all know it isn't', and is always fascinating to watch. I can't begin to compare with his mastery of throwing in double bass drum patterns at will. Regularly tours with THE biggest set-up I have ever seen - and he uses all of it!

Other drummers I admire include Neil Peart (obviously), Simon Phillips (he did a mini album called 'Protocol' which has some of THE best fills you will ever hear), Ian Paice (hugely underrated in my opinion), and Chris Maitland & Gavin Harrison (former and current drummer with Porcupine Tree).

As for me, I have a maple 4-piece Gretsch kit, Tama snare, and 3 Roto-toms to keep me busy, together with 'Heinz 57' cymbals - a combination of Zildjian, Paiste, and whatever else I came across and stuck with because I liked the sound. I play in 3 bands at the moment, all cover-bands, but I'm just happy to play, whatever the style.
paiste

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many to choose from!!!
Agree with above all those drummers are awesome in their own right.
Thomas lang is one of my favourite drummers, along with Pete Riley. Bob Dalton has had a massive influence on my playing having played along to all the It Bites stuff for years when I was Learning(so if you ever need a dep Wink !!!) Andy Edwards is a clever B@stard aswell!!!
If You're a druumer and you really want to depress yourself check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwCINv9nncg

As for my kit I play a Tama Starclassic 22, 10, 12, 14, 16 in blue galaxy fade with either the matching snare drum or a vintage ludwig 400 snare.
Cymbal wise I use a mix of Zildjian A custum, Paiste signature and Paiste 2002.
Also have a Roland td10 in my loft midied up to cubase sx3 for I would say practice, but gigging most weekends I'm to lazy to bother!
h4biddrummer

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for me my biggest influences are Thomas Lang (session player) Nick D Vigiello (spocks beard)Stu copeland (police and oysterhead)Dennis Chambers(session player)and lately Gavin Harrison from porcupine tree.
I play in 2 bands and have done for about 10 years playing Joe Satriani to Hawkwind we play on average about 90 gigs a year!
My kit is a Pearl ERX in rock sizes with a pearl double peddle cymbal wise i use mainly paiste 802s apart from a stack setup which is a 14"crash with a Thomas Lang 14"filter china on top.
Bonzodrumz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I give you my top tub thumpers listing as follows:

John Bonham
Neil Peart
Keith Moon
Gavin Harrison
Simon Phillips
Roger Taylor
Bob Dalton

All Uk guys with the exception of Mr Peart who modelled himself on Keith Moon god bless him...............

I prefer singing drummers of which I am one!

Although for our last recordings I used a V-drum kit I much prefer anything that is acoustic!!!!

My band are the Brazilians - see us @ www.myspace.com/thebraziliansband

My gear is:-

A "classic" (i.e. old) premier elite kit that was based upon the Neil Peart "All the World's A Stage" kit through to my current Bonzo 1 up 2 down configuration.

I have 2 snares:-

A Ludwig Black Beauty 14 x 6.5 circa 1978 vintage.

A Mapex 10 x 6.

Cymbals are:-

Avedis Z's - 16 & 18 rock crashes, 18 ping ride, 10 splash, 14 quick beats

Wutann Chinas 14 & 18

I am thinking of going for a newer kit with 3 mounted, 2 floors, bass etc but with a few more smaller diameter cymbals, certainly double pedal but maybe a return to double bass drums.................

Bonzodrumz
percyslice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no drummer but I love listening to the late great

John Bonham John Bonham John Bonham
Moby Dick Moby Dick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your all wrong

Buddy Rich and here is the evidence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgeX9iYOFSQ
percyslice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean wrote:
Your all wrong

Buddy Rich and here is the evidence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgeX9iYOFSQ

great clip but no fookin guitars Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Musicians and Instruments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: