It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar techniques

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Nothing to do with Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sf-69

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Guitar techniques Reply with quote

Putting this in the "nothing to do with music" column isn't strictly accurate, but i didn't know where else to put it?!

Does anyone have any tips or advise for me please;

I've been playing the guitar for 27 years, and consider myself to be quite adept in doing so. However, I'm not a particularly fast player, and I haven't got a clue when it comes to playing fast runs a la JM/FD, etc. (I guess you'd say my style is more akin to David Gilmour/Steve Hillage)

I'd love to bring a bit of speed into my playing, but haven't got a clue where to start? (I'm very much into jazz fusion, but just can't seem to follow it at all). I've watched a few clips on Youtube, but it just makes my jaw drop, and I end up getting frustrated 'cause I can't follow it, or do it like them!

Plus, I think i've probably picked up a whole host of bad habits in that time, and wonder where i should begin?

Are there any good websites/DVD's you can recommend?
Any tips or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks Smile
Sean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the methods i have used for years to build up speed and accuracy is by using a metronome.

I use this with scales to warm up, also when learning a new solo etc. i start by setting the metronome to a comfortable beat per minute. Then play the scale/run at this pace, when i can play through two times without any mistake, i speed the metronome up by two BPM, and do the same. Over time you will build up speed.

Its also useful to break up a piece into several sections, and using the above method learn it in steps.

There is a guy called Brad Davis, you can see him on youtube he has some great methods.
percyslice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had three lessons many many years ago and was taught pentatonic minor scale I practice this all the time eventually your fingers just know where to go

the only reason jazz players play fancy chords is because they cant play fast Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sf-69

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are definitely the kind of tips i'm after. Thanks guys.

Keep 'em coming....

(I'd never even heard of a pentatonic minor scale. I'll check it out.)
sf-69

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... by the way, maybe this column should actually be called "Nothing to do with It Bites", as there have been a couple of music-related threads now, but which couldn't be put under the IB chatter, Other bands, or FD columns.

Just a thought?
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

percyslice wrote:

the only reason jazz players play fancy chords is because they cant play fast Cool

Laughing
dave941

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site is quite good I use the second exersise down a lot when warming up. By the way I've played for 24 years and am no Steve Via Either. Crying or Very sad But these deffinately helped.
sf-69

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave941 wrote:
This site is quite good I use the second exersise down a lot when warming up. By the way I've played for 24 years and am no Steve Via Either. Crying or Very sad But these deffinately helped.

Which site is this Dave?
percyslice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased many years ago a line 6 guitar port this is a little box which plugs in to your pc and enables you to play guitar while look at the great forum etc
the first thing i noticed how easy reading the instruction book is dont need to be computer wiz
it has a hundred uses every week the line 6 folk send a tune to download with the chords riffs all written out nice and simple you download the guitar tone loads of different effects to mess with type in a guitar hero and it makes the guitar sound like them brilliant it also has many many different lessons scales tips how to play chords
it also has loads and loads of backing tracks these help me stay in time while trying to be a rock god in my spare room
check the web www.line6.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dave941

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Embarassed it's this one.

http://guitarsecrets.com/exercises.htm
chickenmadras

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0333034/details.html

This will help, although playing fast in itself is nothing special - just a mechanical muscle function that anyone can do if they are prepared to put in hours and hours of repetitive exercises.

Better to differentiate yourself by your note choice and vibrato imho.
percyslice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenmadras wrote:
http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0333034/details.html

This will help, although playing fast in itself is nothing special - just a mechanical muscle function that anyone can do if they are prepared to put in hours and hours of repetitive exercises.

Better to differentiate yourself by your note choice and vibrato imho.

Yoy are so right but playing fast and loud is great fun Twisted Evil
ZPQ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

percyslice wrote:

You are so right but playing fast and loud is great fun Twisted Evil

Wise words! It is indeed \m/

The exercises on the link Dave posted are really good - combine them with a few scale (pentatonic & natural minor will be fine to start with) and you'll be away.
A little and often is the key to getting good technique - 10mins of those exercises everyday and you'll be shredding in no time
Very Happy
sf-69

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good stuff. Thanks for all this guys. Very Happy

I must stop going into music shops.... just went at luchtime for some plectrums, and ended up buying a pedal-board! Doh!
percyslice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

percyslice wrote:
I purchased many years ago a line 6 guitar port this is a little box which plugs in to your pc and enables you to play guitar while look at the great forum etc
the first thing i noticed how easy reading the instruction book is dont need to be computer wiz
it has a hundred uses every week the line 6 folk send a tune to download with the chords riffs all written out nice and simple you download the guitar tone loads of different effects to mess with type in a guitar hero and it makes the guitar sound like them brilliant it also has many many different lessons scales tips how to play chords
it also has loads and loads of backing tracks these help me stay in time while trying to be a rock god in my spare room
check the web www.line6.com

this week the backing to red house hendriks brilliant brilliant brilliant looped the backing been playing it for three hours wonderfull Very Happy Cool Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Nothing to do with Music! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: