It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big Lad in the Windmill: Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daved

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I thought--this will be a good review!

It soon became apparent the opposite was true. Sad

I took the time to watch/listen to the whole piece.

The guy is entitled to his opinion and although I was somewhat riled to begin with I can see that there are a few things in my opinion which spring to mind here, at play, on the face of it:

1) Someone has given him a 'bum steer' in the initial sense that 'Big Lad' comes firmly under the Prog banner/pigeonhole : he seems to have been given the album to listen to with that preconception in mind and consequently has assessed it as such.

2) Given the influences the band were exposed to prior to recording in their formative years I would be very surprised if there were not an explosion of varying styles on their first album i.e. as (he) puts it 'The album is all over the place'. Too right! Here is a bunch of musicians given an opportunity to go for it and do they! Very Happy

3) The album is, as (he) says, [I do not quote verbatim] ' full of 80's production values. Well, it was the, er, eighties was it not ?

4) The guy seems to have an issue with that decade in the sense that hearing 'Calling All The Heroes' triggers negative memories for him. (i.e. 'I was at school and 15 at the time'). Fair play mate. But, I wasn't, it was a top time for moi and 'Big Lad' will forever resonate strongly !!!

Sheesh, the power of MUSIC Very Happy
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daved wrote:

4) The guy seems to have an issue with that decade in the sense that hearing 'Calling All The Heroes' triggers negative memories for him. (i.e. 'I was at school and 15 at the time'). Fair play mate. But, I wasn't, it was a top time for moi and 'Big Lad' will forever resonate strongly !!!

He was bullied. Definitely.
Gman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great how music can evoke such powerful memories. Whenever I hear "We Close Our Eyes" by Go West, it brings back vivid memories of my first snog....brilliant song that! Very Happy
essexboyinwales

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I actually just sit through all that?

He clearly idolises Ricky Gervais.

It's tempting to send him something that really is s**t.

Like, you know, some s**t.

Rolling Eyes

TBLITW is a great album Cool
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was this album that I bought on the strength of CATH and my introduction to It Bites proper. I can safely say that IB was a bigger influence on me than any other band in the 80s (when I was a toddler, er, obviously Wink ). FD's playing even inspired me to take up guitar (the fact that I was rubbish is irrelevant). That a band can have such a positive influence over someone - anyone - can only be good, despite what "Dick-y Gervais" says on YouTube... Smile
waveydavey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's 10 minutes of my life I won't get back again! What I like about this is that he actually takes the trouble to listen, review and record a piece about an album and band that he clearly despises. Why on earth would anyone go to such lengths about some thing you dislike. What a narcissist. Could he be anyone ejected from the forum? Wink
Jaminist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh God, he's posted a review of OATW now where he actually gets quite personal and I found him quite offensive.

Watch with warning of anger....

http://youtu.be/rHMCFQC31mY
Takahashi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of his opinions on It Bites, the guy just seems to be an obnoxious t**t. He has an unhealthy hate-on for Frank, and I reckon back in CATH days he thought Francis was Frances, and has been lashing out all this time 'coz his bloated ego was dented for having fancied a bloke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: