It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whole new world - the Virgin albums 1986-1991

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Didi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Whole new world - the Virgin albums 1986-1991 Reply with quote

News from the b-side front: Universal releases a 4 cd set containing the classic it bites albums including most of the rare tracks on november, 3rd.
In opposite to the japanese releases a week earlier, it seems to be budget priced but misses eg "Vampire" and "woman is an addict". No idea soundwise though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whole-New-World-It-Bites/dp/B00O9K8WUC/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=229816&s=music
DS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip - ordered! OK, Virgin are 'doing a Steven Wilson' and making you buy new copies of something you already have (in my case in both CD and vinyl formats except for Thank You & Goodnight, which I didn't bother with on CD) but there is enough of interest on there to justify the purchase! (just...! Wink )
orangefiltersky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and no "I`ll meet you in the spring" from which exist even two mixes: the "crazy" one on the single CD of "Still Too Young ..." and a "normal" one which popped up on YouTube.
Is it so hard to release the "complete works" of "It Bites" now that Virgin finally release a box set?! Evil or Very Mad
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to hear remastered versions of these, but for 14 I very much doubt anything has changed from the original version. Even though I have all the tracks anyway, it might make a nice Xmas pressie if I speak nicely to Santa Wink
Didi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superdeluxeedition.com reports about the set and they have Vampires on their tracklisting.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/it-bites-whole-new-world-the-virgin-albums-1986-1991/#more-106976
stan the man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah....Ill buy it.

Will the band benefit financialy from the sales tho ??
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stan the man wrote:

That's a very good question and not being a legal eagle, I honestly don't know. I guess it's down to who owns the rights now? Both IB and FD tour the old stuff, but if Virgin are releasing it I suppose they technically own the music?
orangefiltersky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dena wrote:
stan the man wrote:

That's a very good question and not being a legal eagle, I honestly don't know. I guess it's down to who owns the rights now? Both IB and FD tour the old stuff, but if Virgin are releasing it I suppose they technically own the music?

Virgin is clearly the owner of the rights, but as the four members are the official "writers" of the music, the band should actually get a small share of the sales. Please correct me if Im wrong.
Jaminist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine today and it says release mastered at Abbey Road on the sleeve notes.
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaminist wrote:
Got mine today and it says release mastered at Abbey Road on the sleeve notes.

Ooh, remastered? How's it sounding?
Stellabagpuss1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting on mine, to land. Will report back shortly on audio quality, let's hope it's not been brickwalled with over use of compression limiters. They sounded good to start with, so there only small amount of limiting needed.
Stellabagpuss1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, The CD arrived today... The good news first, a great to finally great CD copies of Black December etc that where only on vinyl. Shame they missed Woman is an addiction and Meet you in the spring, perhaps it's one of those regional deals,.... Any it's a shame.

Now the Sound, l'm lucky to have the Japanese Remasters, and to my ears they sound better than the new box set. It's not that you hear anything extra, the sound is quiter than the Japanese remasters, bass has more impact.

Further investigation, and a look at the wav files that, the box set has been remastered quiter than the originals where! So I wouldn't sell those Japanese remasters yet.

I must point out, this is still a great box set, and the above comments are for Hi fi nerds like myself.
At least some effort has been put in, and I wonder if there is a reason behind the missing two tracks?
DS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with your comments, Stellabagpuss. If anything, these CDs actually over-compensate for the 'loudness wars' style heavily compressed remasters by being too quiet! I've been listening to the set in the car this week (not the best environment, I know) and have found I've had to increase the volume by a couple of notches compared with other CDs. Not a problem really, just a surprising difference to other recent remasters.
It is really good to finally have tracks I've only ever had on vinyl on an official CD release. I too had noticed the 2 omissions you mention (there are others, such as the 7" version of OMATA, although this is really only for completists as it is nothing like as good as the full version!). My guess is that they wanted to relate extra tracks to the relevant album / timescale and ran out of space to include everything. EMISL has the full 2 CD track listing plus Vampires squeezed onto 1 disc. Personally, I'm much happier with Vampires being on it than Woman is an Addict. There may have been some room left on TYAG but I suspect they didn't want to tack studio tracks onto the end of a live album.
Anyway, it is the nearest thing to the complete works of Phase 1 IB that we're ever likely to see as a commercial release and it is certainly worth owning on that basis alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: