It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edinburgh - places to stay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Nothing to do with Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kulich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Edinburgh - places to stay Reply with quote

Coming to Edinburgh october 21st and plan on staying 3 nights, then going either south or west ending up in Egremont for the 26th. We're three; my son is 15, and likes Skryllex.

The web is full of psuedo deals, weird reccomendations and off-the-wall complaints and I'm tired of trolling through booking pages so I thought I'd ask the brave hearts on this forum for some accomodation suggestions.

I'd prefer not to walk forever to get to places; assuming that the Old and New Town is affordable it would be my first choice. Don't know what expensive is ... say around 300 pounds for the three nights.

Things to see suggestions would be welcome, and the lad wants to stay in a castle ... we'll have wheels so that might work out sometime later in Cumbria.

Ale suggestions are welcome too.

Anyway - if you can help that would be fantastic.

I'm off camping in a few minutes so don't be miffed if I don't get back to the list for a few days.

Cheers

Peter
rob-m

Location: Wandering the Land of Prog. Quite often via a Pub and a Premier Inn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter - some good sites such as Booking.Com

http://www.booking.com/

where there is a good selection ...the Radisson Blu is showing as 74 per night right now!

You can't go too far wrong with Premier Inn either, good standard for a reasonable price..

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/premier-inn-edinburgh-city-centre-haymarket.en-us.html?sid=c61e7a36c6db878753f08e23d06e85b1;dcid=1;checkin=2012-10-21;checkout=2012-10-22;srfid=9362039dd895051e990d1e8107429b82X10

Quad room for 65 per night at the Haymarket Prem Inn! Their website has other hotels in the city...

http://www.premierinn.com/

It's a great city...I'm sure you will love it.

Oh and try to get to the Bow Bar if you get the chance....
rob-m

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bow Bar......

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/edinburgh/pubguide/bowbar.html

Enjoy!
blee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you stay in the square of (roughly) Queen street in the north to the meadows park in the south and Haymarket in the west to London Road to the east you'll find most hotels and the whole area is very walkable.

I'd pay no more than 300 for 3 nights. When out for night's out with my wife we've stayed very comfortable at The George Hotel, The Roxburghe and the Royal Terrace Hotel.

As mentioned Premier Inn, Travelodge, Holiday Inn Express are comfortable but basic. Very much like THe Days Inn I have stayed in in Canada. Depends what you want from the hotel.

Things to do in Edinburgh as visitor would be basically what the tour books say i.e. The Castle, Mary Kings Close, Witchery Tour, Royal Mile, etc.

A a (fairly close) local I'm happy to just doss about and see where the notion takes me.

Although, stay away from anywhere blasting bagpipe music on to the street, on closer inspection you'll find that they sell plastic Edinburgh castles, super thin kilts and stuffed Nessies.

Hope that helps,

Willie
kulich

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much gentlemen - I think we are now settled into a nice little place within easy ambling of everything.

I even got my son to find me a list of musical instrument shops so that I get something fun to do too - aside from the Bow Bar that is Smile

And then it's off to Egremont!

Perhaps I'll meet some of you in person.

P
rob-m

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're sorted! It's a wonderful city and I'm sure you will have a blast.
blee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

Glad you've found somewhere to stay and there'll be enough for you to see and do to fill your three days. We stay just north in Dunfermline, site of the infamous It Bites Gig In The Glen and can vouch you'll enjoy your break there.

I'm afraid that I'll not be at Egremont. Despite seeing Frank on every uk tour since the LGDWH days ( both good and bad tours ) I've never been to the charity do, I've only attended the house concerts and not hosted one, I believe hosts get first shout at accommodation and tickets.

Don't forget to ask if you need any more info.

Take care,
Willie
kulich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it's solely for hosts but Erica has invited us for the past 5 years and we've always declined - cost, distance and especially time of year were all against it.

In fact our 25th anniversary comes along in December and while I was agitating to go back to Bhutan where we were married my wife didn't what to leave the old folks at Christmas time ... so while the CKDCF is not our celebration it is something unusual and exciting. And it's a chance to meet the online community ... and Dave Kerzner ... and Dorie ... Johnny Lynne ... and Feargal maybe and lots of other really cool people.

We were supposed to go alone until the lad spoke up about being abandoned, which brings along a rather surprising hotel rate cost, but he gets it all in the end so who's counting.

The only plan we have so far is to spend three days in Edinburgh, the CKDCF weekend plus a couple of days in Cumbria and then the car gets dropped off in Newcastle on the 2nd ... we'll make the rest up as we go.

Saw a bit on Blackpool last night and it seems amazingly over-the-top. Vera said if we go I have to promise to dance to the mighty wurlitzer at the Dance Palace.

P
blee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

Sounds good. Lots of possibilities for you but ultimately it's your trip.

In Scotland, you've got St Andrews in my beautiful sunny (not) Fife, My Hometown Dunfermline with it's Abbey, palace and Robert the Bruce's body, Stirling, Glasgow, Oban for as taste of the west, GlenCoe, Loch Lomond, I could keep on going.

Travelling down to Egremont you have the Scottish/English border towns. Carlisle on the edge of Cumbria is a nice town and you can visit the wall The Scots built to keep the Romans and English out (or was it the other way round! ). Lancaster is a worth a visit and of course the Lake District is beautiful in itself.

Whatever you chose, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Willie
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Edinburgh - places to stay Reply with quote

kulich wrote:
my son is 15, and likes Skryllex.
So do I Peter especially the stuff on the new Korn album. Interesting imaginative stuff, I'm slightly older than 15 unless you're talking mental age! Very Happy
kulich

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked youtube for Korn and the Skyllex wonder, pulled him in and he not only knew of the collaboration but knew the lyrics and the vocal line. It amazes me what kids can pack into their brainboxes - I know the first line to lots of songs but would be challenged to get past them.

Looking at this stuff makes me tired Smile - oh where is my lost youth. Maybe it's because I went to boot camp for the first time in three months and am feeling a bit stiff.

P
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I'm most probably older than you Peter and I don't believe it's 'lost youth' that is the problem. . . . . . . it's 'misspent midlife' that is the culprit! Laughing

If you really want to ache after exercise, may I suggest you stand with Vit P, Rob and Dan etc while the band play Kiss Like Judas. . . . . . . it took me weeks to recover! Very Happy

Just in case anyone is wondering what we are talking about
Korn - Chaos Lives In Everything Featuring Skrillex
rob-m

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Laughing I'm most probably older than you Peter and I don't believe it's 'lost youth' that is the problem. . . . . . . it's 'misspent midlife' that is the culprit! Laughing

If you really want to ache after exercise, may I suggest you stand with Vit P, Rob and Dan etc while the band play Kiss Like Judas. . . . . . . it took me weeks to recover! Very Happy

Just in case anyone is wondering what we are talking about
Korn - Chaos Lives In Everything Featuring Skrillex

Paul,those KLJ bouncing workouts are killers! We need to do it again soon but I need some training beforehand Wink
kulich

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see ... I remember napping with my grandma when she visited in 1958. I remember the year changing to 1960. And I remember when JFK was killed - they wheeled a TV into our grade 3 classroom to show us the consternation and then sent us home for the day. That was in a little logging town in Canada.

I could pogo with you; that would be more fun than what we do at boot camp, and the music would certainly be better.

Here's a thought - with the increased gravity of age will the venues be obliged to reinforce the dance floor lest a crowd of geriatrics break through to teh cellar during KLJ?

Have wonderful weeks - hope to see some of you in a couple of fortnights.

P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Nothing to do with Music! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: