It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Map of the Past on Vinyl

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daved

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Map of the Past on Vinyl Reply with quote

I set aside some time earlier today to indulge in a bit of vinyl listening----of course not before donning the obligatory 'Beige' tank-top, corduroy trousers, cosy slippers, flat cap and my favourite briar pipe Shocked

Having cranked the old turntable up to full spring tension and removed the bung from the sound horn (well, plugged it into the mains and pressed the On switch to be more truthful) then dumped the kids with the neighbours and sent the missus on a shopping trip my ears were soon met with an unlistenable strident cacophony of sound!

Actually, this could not be further from the truth Very Happy

The CD copy of the album is excellent and gets used regularly in the car and wherever- I suppose you could say the ease with which it gets used is taken for granted.

The vinyl job is an experience of a different order. Vinyl is old fashioned, playing it is I suppose a bit ritualistic but, for me, enjoyable. The first thing that strikes you is the quality and size of the artwork on the gatefold and sleeves; very impressive. The discs themselves are proudly advertised proclaiming 180gram vinyl and indeed they are HEAVY, not the poppadom weighted flimsy articles most records are made from.
Surface noise is absolutely minimal and not in any way intrusive, the sound quality is excellent with a maximum 3 tracks per side (how inefficient in this high tech compact ultra-miniature age) and the music--well, it speaks for itself Very Happy

(You do need a half-decent player though, not spin the discs on your fingertip whilst using a knitting needle to play 'em Wink )

Whoever has gone to the trouble of A) Deciding to issue this wonderful music on Vinyl and B) Actually execute the process in this faster moving world we inhabit where 'old' formats soon become redundant or aren't popular gets a 'doff of the northern flat cap' from me!

The subject matter of the album harks back to a different age and it seems fitting that you can listen to it by 'old' tech if you so choose-whether this was by accident or design is unclear but the choice is there!

I for one thought It Bites in whatever guise would never play another note let alone put out an album on the old 'black stuff', it's a charming and nice touch that you can still access your favourite band's music by old and modern methods.

Ayup---nuff sed -must go--- 'am off to feed me whippets and pigeons Very Happy
Jaminist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, MOTP on vinyl is a thing of visual and audio beauty. I wish we could get TTS released in the same way! Hint hint Laughing
waveydavey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daved - I....I...can't talk sorry. I need a tissue (sniff). You have just said it all mate. I'm so glad that I'm not alone on the vinyl front. Excellent stuff above there.
rob-m

Location: Wandering the Land of Prog. Quite often via a Pub and a Premier Inn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post! I have the vinyl but no turntable at the moment...doh! Aim to rectify that as soon as possible though and give myself an aural treat to go with the visual treat of seeing the marvellous Vitamin P artwork on an LP cover..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: