It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bury Gig
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inabsentia

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. as I posted above -it was as good as anything I have heard in there which wasn't saying much. There is just something about it which doesn't lend itself to live, amplified music- whether it's that domed ceiling I don't know but it's always a muddy, echoey mess - which is a shame because otherwise it's a really nice venue.

Nothing at all the band or sound guy could really do - must be almost impossible mixing the sound in there -especially when you are stuck 20 feet above everyones head - he kept popping down off the perch to see what it sounded like at ground level..

I did move around to try and find some kind of sweet spot but never found one - I settled for the middle towards the back.

Not the worst sound I've ever heard from IB- that honour still falls to the Birkenhead arts centre gig several years ago! Shame they didn't use the Waterside Arts Centre in Sale again- the sound in there was killer on last years tour.

One other thing I've been thinking about- the length of the show last night was barely 90 minutes-and that included 2 breaks and John's keyboard woes so the actual playing time was closer to 80 minutes - other than the joint headline tour with Mostly Autumn that is way under what the guys have been playing. To be honest, with it being so damn hot last night I wasn't overly bothered by that- it was nice to get out into the fresh air a bit early!!
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts from me on last night. Positives were that it was great to hear the new album live, I was pleased they did it from start to finish as the albums really lends itself to that. Highlights for me were the obvious 3, Cartoon Graveyard, Send No Flowers and MATS. The Big Machine was pretty cool as well. It will be interesting to see what they do when they don't play the album from start to finish, I actually thought the songs from The Tall Ships came over better as stand alone songs in the first encore. Only 1 from the FD era - that seems fair enough as they have more material now but I hope they will still continue to delve into those albums in the future.

I agree though that the sound was pretty poor, very low end stuff and the vocals were often lost in it, I didn't think the drums were up enough either. I hadn't seen Nathan play with It Bites until last night and thought he did a good job, some nice bass lines going on, but all in all I think Lee Pomeroy is a vastly superior player.

I agree with inabsentias point about the length of the set - possibly a bit on the short side for me, but it was really hot in there so I wasn't too gutted to get outside.

Nice to bump into a few faces again - you know who you are! Dena I spotted you in your vantage point position!

By the way, I only saw 2 songs of the Jon Amor groups set and I wish I had watched a bit more, they were excellent, well worth a watch for anyone going to other shows.
themaclad

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpSL8xgMBPk&feature=youtu.be

Exit song

Actually think this is a really good song

Another vid in about an hour when it's on site

themaclad

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blw0bpTRSh0&feature=youtu.be

Short bit of map of the past
inabsentia

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themaclad wrote:

Think I must have been stood right next to you-were you right on the back wal??
shopwood

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was warned about the sound from The Met so didn't expect too much. The band were absolutely brilliant (again) and got backstage for a bit of a natter. Brilliant night....
spinal tapboard

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah, the sound wasn't great but I was just glad to see IB again having missed way too many shows lately. It was a sell out apparently - as I was informed when I arrived hoping to pay on the door. Laughing Fortunately the nice box office lady sold me one of the band's allocation. Very Happy
themaclad

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inabsentia wrote:
themaclad wrote:

Think I must have been stood right next to you-were you right on the back wal??

Yes that was me, wonder what happened to the alcohalically challenged backward walking man?
inabsentia

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering that too- he's haunted me at every show I've been to there!!
Daved

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I am well in the minority regarding the sound on the night.

I was stood close to the right P.A. which probably explains why the mix sounded different there.

Probably the top end and some of the mid was affected by the dome in the ceiling as inabsentia quite rightly pointed out, plus the side doors to the venue were open the whole night.

Am I right in thinking there was a massive wall of curtain like material at the back of the venue?? That could soak up the top end.

I saw J.B. signalling to the sound guys to alter his settings whilst he was playing so obviously he wasn't happy with it early on.

A memorable night nonetheless.

Have to agree with Bonecrusher about still wanting to hear the early material there is so much to go at!

Maybe at some point we could be spoilt by a 'B' side -Castles, Strange But True or Staring At the Whitewash f'rinstance? Very Happy
inabsentia

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No curtain, the back wall was basically some cantelever seating they pull out for some events.

I would really like to see an It Bites convention - a bit like the ones Marillion run- one where they could play all of the old obscure stuff as well as some of the other projects/bands the guys are.... I know it would be a big ask of the guys but I can at least dream - Some of the stuff on the Kino album needs to be heard again - especially Losers Day Parade
firehorse

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daved wrote:
Maybe at some point we could be spoilt by a 'B' side -Castles, Strange But True or Staring At the Whitewash f'rinstance? Very Happy

Sorry mate, but I feel a band that is currently trying (and succeeding) to write excellent new music and to promote new and carefully crafted albums would be wasting their time going back to sing plastic, throwaway filler songs from an era that no longer defines us.

Very Happy Razz
inabsentia

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I can see both sides of that argument.. it may no longer be the era that defines us but it is the area that created this whole thing. While I don't necessarily want a 'greatest hits' setlist every time I go and watch a band with a long back catalogue, neither do I want them to completely overlook a large part of their back catalogue for 'whatever' reason.
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firehorse wrote:
Daved wrote:

Sorry mate, but I feel a band that is currently trying (and succeeding) to write excellent new music and to promote new and carefully crafted albums would be wasting their time going back to sing plastic, throwaway filler songs from an era that no longer defines us.

When did you start speaking for us? Wink

I agree with that to a certain extent particularly with those songs mentioned. And we did get Staring At The Whitewash on a previous tour. Its great to hear the new stuff - I just think it would be a shame if we didn't hear All In Red or Underneath Your Pillow ever again.

I was more disappointed about the length of the show than the songs chosen.
firehorse

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonecrusher wrote:

When did you start speaking for us? Wink

Ha...ha...you may have read too much into that comment Bonecrusher! I take your point tho.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: