It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Francis taking the .... ???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sf-69

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Is Francis taking the .... ??? Reply with quote

Got home from work tonight and found the new FD album "Made In Space" on the mat. "Here we go...", I thought - "... at least it can't be any worse than The Gulley Flats Boys?!"

Oh my god!!! - how wrong could I be?? - What an incredible pile of $hit!
What does he think he's doing? If he's trying to alienate all his loyal fans from the last 25 years then he's doing a pretty good job of it!
We all know he's been going downhill rapidly for the last 10 years or so, but this really is taking the biscuit!!!!

I haven't actually listened to the whole of the CD yet, but I can guarantee that once i've given it the once over it'll never see the light of day again!

Francis - sort yourself out mate otherwise I'll never ever buy anything by you ever again!..... Oh yeah, and you owe me £16!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
tallman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sit on the fence. Tell us what you think. Wink
sf-69

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallman wrote:
Don't sit on the fence. Tell us what you think. Wink

"Like"
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Francis taking the tinkle winkle??? Reply with quote

sf-69 wrote:
What an incredible pile of poopoo!

Hmm. It seems the automated forum word-filter is not working. Never mind.

B xx Laughing
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Like your sentiment about alienating, singing of my song sheet thats for sure Sad
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously though:

"Maybe this time people will recognise the courage it takes to go out into unchartered territory year after year and give this record the support it deserves. It was made in space"."

http://www.francisdunnery.com/news/news.html

Innit

B xx Smile
frenchyphil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF 69, I got mine tonight. I'm at the 4th track and start to think it's the first FD cd I'll never listen to completely.................
I've lost my money, I don't intend to lose my time.
Youveonlyyourselfstoblame

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I had the same initial reaction to the CD and was at first gutted !!!!

But stick with it there are some brilliant songs on there it just takes a few listens to catch the words and tunes etc.

Try and perservere you will get it like i did.

I can see now how great the songs will be live and played with a guitar a few months down the line.
SlowKnee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I need to make it clear that I’ve not heard this record yet, so the point I’m making is a point of principle as a musician/songwriter/fan and NOT a criticism of “Made In Space” the album.

I also want to applaud Francis for being courageous enough to try something totally new for himself as an artist and appreciate his desire not to stay rooted in the past.

However, let’s not forget that Francis is also a gifted songwriter, arranger, producer and musician.

My view is that, with a songwriting or arranging ‘head’ on, if you are going to commit your creations to ‘tape’ for all eternity, surely you want to present them in the manner in which they sound ‘right’ or build the instrumental arrangements around what each song needs to provide all the dynamic shifts and textures which accentuate the emotions and help map the ‘journey’ of the lyric most suitably?

Surely?

So, I always despair when a musician makes a conscious attempt to do something contrived like not have guitar on the record, or not use synthesisers or whatever (a la Boston).

Do what suits the song best. Is that such a crazy notion? Sometimes that will involve a guitar, sometimes it won’t. No big deal.

What has Francis proven by making an entire album with no guitar? Really?

Is he looking for his fans or just himself to be able to say “Well done. You’ve made an album with no guitar. Point made. Good boy (pat pat)”

I don’t see any logic in this as opposed to approaching every record with a view that “I’m gonna put whatever instruments best match the mood and vibe of each song to show it in the very best light possible – regardless of whether that means I’ve got to dig out my kazoo, mandolin, pan pipes, Flying V, or mellotron, etc.”

I just think that approaching a recording with a very specific mandate/concept like this is very contrived.

And I say this as someone who owns every FD and IB record.

What next? An album with no melodies or chords or rhythm?
Lattugo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlowKnee wrote:

Do what suits the song best. Is that such a crazy notion? Sometimes that will involve a guitar, sometimes it won’t. No big deal.

You have no idea about how much I agree with that!!!
This said in general terms, not applied to this specific record since I have not heard it yet.

Lat.
plasticdreamer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youveonlyyourselfstoblame wrote:
Guys I had the same initial reaction to the CD and was at first gutted !!!!

But stick with it there are some brilliant songs on there it just takes a few listens to catch the words and tunes etc.

Try and perservere you will get it like i did.

I can see now how great the songs will be live and played with a guitar a few months down the line.

This is exactly where I am with the CD aswell...

I also absolutely hated it at first, but made the decision not to dismiss it that easily and just left it on in the car to see if I could figure out why he would put out such a thing!. Shocked

After 6 or 7 complete run-throughs, I do think there are a couple of songs that don't and never will cut the mustard for me (Moonflower and You make the world bow down), BUT I've found myself getting over my initial prejudices about the occasionally wishy-washy beat box rhythms, 'overuse' of the Vocoder and unnecessary raps and see most of the rest of the songs as potentially brilliant, catchy pieces of work.

In short, I can't stop playing the bugger! Very Happy
gazza

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Plastic dreamer - i am so with you on this, although the couple of tracks i dislike are different to yours. Can't remember who it was Question might have been Steve ( tallman ) who said that music is subjective anyway, so everyone has their own opinions, and likes and dislikes. I feel exactly the same, and songs are growing on me more and more all the time. I am off to the charity weekend this weekend, so it will be interesting
to see if frank plays many of these tunes live, and if so, how they come across to the audience. Very Happy
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all sounding a bit too challenging for me.

I'm out.

B xx Smile
UglyFrog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my review (having received the CD today, and listened to it through 4-5 times)...

Err, oh! Well, it's.... err. Well... you could just... Listen. If you like.... err, oh... I think that perhaps, erm, well, I mean that the first and second, errrr, ahhh. Oh. Now hold on. The.... err, ohh...
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in two minds about buying the album but now I'm in at least three!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Francis Dunnery All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: