It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Francis Dunnery's Astrology Show Tour 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnycorner123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi just wanted to say we went to see frankie and his Astrology show at the Barnfield theatre last tuesday and it was great,tottally new experience, i am not into astrology and all that but frankie puts the show over with such a mix of humour and music that it was just bril,l very funny and of course a range of music along with backing of dorrie made it a fantastic night, and i would ask anyone who likes frankie not to knock this show before seeing it as i dont think it is what you are expecting........[/list][/b]
gazza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Nice one sunnycorner and thank you for posting...and more importantly...welcome to the forum. Very Happy
John

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from seeing Frank in Buxton....ouch.....an uncomfortable evening I have to say.

Wasn't helped by there being around only 40 people there and that included one drunk who felt the need to stop Frank's flow consistently.

Not sure the format worked for me, I do like listening to Frank and I've enjoyed the house concert format before but the evening was a let down in the main certainly not helped by the poor attendance and idiot in the audience.
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:
Just back from seeing Frank in Buxton....ouch.....an uncomfortable evening I have to say.

Wasn't helped by there being around only 40 people there and that included one drunk who felt the need to stop Frank's flow consistently.

Not sure the format worked for me, I do like listening to Frank and I've enjoyed the house concert format before but the evening was a let down in the main certainly not helped by the poor attendance and idiot in the audience.

Crikey! I hope Andrew Lloyd Webber isn't reading this. Seriously though, it's a nightmare when someone in the audience is disruptive; the venue staff should have shown him/her the door.

B xx Arrow
John

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batchain wrote:
John wrote:

Crikey! I hope Andrew Lloyd Webber isn't reading this. Seriously though, it's a nightmare when someone in the audience is disruptive; the venue staff should have shown him/her the door.

B xx Arrow

The average age of the staff at the venue was probably in the late 60's and early 70's...honestly...so maybe they were not expecting any trouble...he wasn't abusive just fuckin annoying.

To me the show was an attempt to take the house concert format into a wider audience, it didn't work at all for me, having 40 people rattle around a room that probably held 200 certainly didn't help but ultimately I don't think that format works on a wider stage.
plasticdreamer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm a bit apprensive myself about whether the astrology show is going to be a success for the UK, but as a Frankie devotee, I'm always up for supporting whatever it is he's up to and would always travel to wherever, to catch at least one show. (though gone are the days when I'd go to 3 or 4 in a week!)

The fact he's playing in my hometown on Sunday means I can hardly pass up on the opportunity and I'm really looking forward to seeing what this show all about! I bet given a decent supportive audience, it's gonna be great and very entertaining as usual!

You do have to admire the man for always thinking outside the box and trying something new! Very Happy Cool
kulich

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another review

http://www.thepublicreviews.com/the-astrology-show-lantern-theatre-liverpool/
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just caught Frank at Bury Met. This is just my opinion but I have followed Frank from the start and supported every album and tour when I could get there but this was a step to far, even for me. I paid my money to hear Frank sing and play. I don't even mind the odd anecdote but I didn't want to ranted and lectured at for hours with the odd song thrown in. I looked at my watch and some 40-odd minutes into the set there had been just 3 songs played. I don't even know what it was supposed to be. Is Frank trying to be a combination of a musician , a stand up comic and a psychology lecturer...what!? I just found the whole thing massively irritating and for the first time ever I was actually too annoyed to go back in for the 2nd half. You couldn't even watch the guitar work as he and Dorie were facing each other, side on to the audience, and singing into the one mic. I know many have been sceptical and critical of Frank's recent output and some of the shows, I've just joined them.
Sav

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, dont know what you were expecting ? Appreciate it's just your opinion, but the show's have been sold as 'theatre' shows, an extension of the house concert format.

Just read the previous posts on this thread... Rolling Eyes

I have been to two shows, London and Bristol and probarly enjoyed the latter more..the show has evolved over the week between.Went down really well last night, great ovation at the end.

I personally think Astrology is bullshit (Frank even admits it Wink ), but it's a good way to involve the audience and Frank is one funny bastard.

Don't wanna give anything away for anyone yet to catch the last few shows but good to hear a lot of tunes from 'Lets go do What Happens', perhaps his most underplayed/rated album.

Beautiful new song..' 17 Fires of Love' ?? Frank and Dorie's layered vox are just sublime, playing off each other..that's why they use the one mic.

Stewart.
tallman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sav wrote:
I personally think Astrology is bullshit (Frank even admits it Wink ).

Why would you continuously rabbit on about something you think is bullshit?
Sav

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Tall, if i am continually rabbiting on...

The point i was trying to make, in my ineloquent way, is that the subject matter does not affect your enjoyment of the show.
tallman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sav wrote:

Sorry Sav, I didn't mean you. I meant FD - if he thinks it's bullshit, why does he go on about it?
man in a milion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallman wrote:
Sav wrote:

Sorry Sav, I didn't mean you. I meant FD - if he thinks it's bullshit, why does he go on about it?

Or charge people for personal readings and charts for that matter? OR charge for workshops and consultations about it?

Just asking?
John Gillham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same too MIAM.
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of Frank's thoughts on astrology is that he doesn't know how or why it works, it just does! That's roughly what he stated at a house concert, not exactly 'bullshit' but I can imagine him describing it as such! Personally I was always better at astronomy. . . . . my heads full of space! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Francis Dunnery All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: