It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keyboard Rig?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Musicians and Instruments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superjx10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be best uploading it to one the freebie sites, that worked well for the forum sessions video..

I should have a couple of tracks ready soon from various forum members' collective contributions - just working on securing the all-important vocals...

DBP Very Happy
dtscape

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last... Very Happy
Found a site to upload some audio to share with you guys.

This is a few years old now and I was just learning how to mix stuff so please excuse the quality. It was recorded by mixing 24 tracks, from an alesis hd24 recorder, through a mixing desk which sent an audio signal to my computer. Also this is completely live. No overdubs and all mistakes included (there's a glaringly bad one in the middle section so please except my apologise for it!!!!)

Hope you like it Smile

http://www.box.net/shared/qbb7lkz86j

This is Kiss Like judas.. I'll add CATH soon....
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was someone throttling the singer throughout the song? Laughing
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutley ferkin awesome Very Happy
I would have one of those premature thingies if the next generic rock band i see fires up with that, and so what about the vocals , cos i sure as hell would be singing too Very Happy
dtscape

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I was not expecting that!!!!! If you're talking about the backing vocals then thats me!!! I'm not a singer thats for sure.... Very Happy

Ok...

http://www.box.net/shared/htfjm0egsl

Now this is CATH... This is again a completely live recording and from the same gig as the KLJ track....and I'm so sorry for the speed of it....It really is way to fast so, yet again, please except my apologise!!!! Wink

Hope you like it Wink
pink skinny head

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both superb Paul..and just how i remember you doing them.I also recall you playing the intro to Ice Melts into Water,but only heard you play it once....shame. Crying or Very sad
gazza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Gotta say, i thought both sounded pretty good. Trouble with live recordings is - you can NEVER recapture what it sounds like when you're actually there in the audience. Some live albums have come pretty close, and you can evoke memories of being there, but to capture it is a really hard thing to do. I doff my cap to ya mate, well played. Very Happy
superjx10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Paul. These songs are not easy to pull off, God knows I've tried enough times over the years!

Setting off at the right speed is the crucial part in every song - this may seem like stating the bleedin obvious, but there is a natural tendency in any band to go too fast. Example, in a song like IQ's Frequency, not only does it destroy the feel of the song, but also, for me, because of where I have patched in the various parts, if we start too quickly I simplay cannot move cleanly between the big synth and the Rhodes section, as I don't have enough time!!!!

As for KLJ - we find the hardest part is to make the middle section work. We have been playing it without a sequence for most of our time together, but we have now put the sequence in, and what a difference it makes! CATH - agree it's a little fast, but it's all there, which is what counts.

DBP Very Happy
dtscape

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys... Glad you like them.
Listening back now (the band has split now) I'm a lot more critical of it... I'm just not satisfied with the mix. The bass player also had problems on KLJ as he was using a detune effect on his bass (to get the low D) which caused a sort of delay effect. As I said this was quite a few years ago and he purchased a 5 string a year or so after this recording... I only recorded this gig to test my new, then, multi track recorder.

Dan - I really must check out your band... I'll try and do that this evening(can't access it from work!!).

I'm currently planning on getting a prog band together myself. Probably doing similar stuff to yourselves. Although I will be attempting some of the heavier prog stuff as well (Dream Theater etc.). Just working out the logistics of it and seeing what venues would be suitable. I don't think it'll work on the pub scene so it looks like I'll be hiring venues... I'll need to advertise a lot as i don't think there is a big market for prog round our way (south east kent). Wink I'll probably do a couple of warm up gigs though (more likely essential really!!!! Laughing ) I hope to get started rehearsing early next year (I have to sort out my keyboard rig before I start!!!)

Do you have any gigs coming up? I'd like to come and see you if possible. Smile
Lattugo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I join? I'm the 4th key player Smile
Congratulations to dtscape, I am listening to KLJ right now!!

I do use virtual synths live actually. I play a couple of master keyboard controlling a rack with 2 Emu Proteus, 1 Roland JD990, 1 Korg 03R, a Yamaha sampler plus a laptop with virtual instruments.

To complete my rig I have a GEM digital piano, a Roland JP8000 and a Roland SH201.

Smile

Andrea
superjx10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Andrea - the more of us, the merrier.

PM me your email address and I'll send you a bit of classic IB...

DBP
superjx10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Dt, how are plans shaping up for the new band?

DBP Very Happy
Squids

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtscape wrote:
I haven't used virtual synths live yet.... I'd like to but I've heard so many horror stories I think I'll keep away until they are more reliable.
Main problems I've heard are latency(delay between hitting a note and hearing it) and, as I said above, reliability. I've heard about a few pro's that have had the laptops crash whilst during a gig. I just think I'll wait a bit before moving into that area.....

It's not a problem. You just have to set the buffer to a low latency setting is all.

Virtual instruments are a good way to supplement your keyboard rig with more customized samples - especially if you want to go "vintage" and load up analog synths, Mellotrons and all sorts of progrock and pop sounds that aren't necessarily as common in the popular digital synths
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Musicians and Instruments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: