It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Arches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemmy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: The Arches Reply with quote

Well, what can I say about The Arches gig last night. Truly fantastic. I think its the best I have ever seen the band. The sound was incredible and the setlist was very well balanced. We never got ( I Got You ), maybe cause the band were a bit late coming on, but giving how good the band were, I'm not really grumbling about that.

Best song of the night was Yellow Christian

I think JM has now ( in my opinion ) finally thrown Franks big boots in the bin and has firmly established himself as the front man of It Bites. To me, it looks like his band now.

Good crowd interaction and a very appreciative crowd of around maybe 400.

What I did find quite amusing was when one guy bought a tour shirt and then stripped off the shirt he was wearing to put on his new tour shirt..I havnt seen that for years or since I was about 14 but each to his own.. I only wish his bird would have done it, that would have topped a great night

BTW does anyone know the girl who was on the merch stand,, very pleasant and friendly. I've seen her at a few gigs now
gazza

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Stands a chance it was Rachel Lemmy, glad you enjoyed the gig. Very Happy
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be Rachael, and yes she is gorgeous Very Happy
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was the very lovely Rachel.

B xx Cool
stan the man

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with Lemmy..

I knew after CATH that we were in for something special.The guys seemed so relaxed,but at the same time so focused,they nailed everything.I thought the new songs were fantastic,and really wet the appetite.

It was my first time in the Arches....cracking venue,massive stage,brilliant sound,knockout band,sorry for doubting you Mr.Mitchell.

Special mention to Nathan King.....Superb.

Reminded me of a certain Dick Nolan.
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Stan , Nathan sings as well Very Happy
Gman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nathan sings as well

Dick did a bloody good pout though!

Actually, I'll have to confess that I prefer Nathan to Lee - whilst Lee is smilier, Nathan's sound suits IB better. Lee's sound is a little woolly for my liking. Sorry Lee!
gjstockham

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Arches Reply with quote

lemmy wrote:

I think JM has now ( in my opinion ) finally thrown Franks big boots in the bin and has firmly established himself as the front man of It Bites. To me, it looks like his band now.

He seemed a bit down on Twitter before the show as someone seemed to imply that the lower ticket sales were because Frank wasn't playing. I think the crowd gave him an excellent reception so hopefully he realises it's him we want to see.

Great gig. Still can't hear anything.

Geoff
RichJ
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As bassists go Nathan and Lee are both incredible players and great singers too.

Lee has not had the chance to have his sound mixed by Tom Oliver who is the best in the business.

Lee also knows every single It Bites song backwards.
He know the older tracks better than Bob and JB!
He can instantly play all the songs and often in rehearsals they have a bit of fun and run through some b-sides that they've not played live such as 'Having a Good Day'. Lee is the only one who plays it note perfect first time around.
Nathan will only be able to play certain songs perfect once he has learnt them Smile

I'm sure once Mr Pomeroy has had the Tom Oliver magic treatment then the only thing "woolly" in the house will be one of John Beck's knitted hats.

One thing is for sure - we are privileged to enjoy Nathan or Lee when we see It Bites live. It would be great to get them both on the next album.
gjstockham

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think Nathan's LEDs on the bass were under-used last night...

Also, anyone see the first support? What was the "drummer" playing? Looked like a wooden box but sounded like drums.
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember an It Bites gig where the sound bloke succeeded in making the whole band sound like a bunch of amateurs. Think it was Derby, or Sheffield. He spent most of his time texting on his phone. I did say “nice job mate”, after the gig, although what he really needed was a kick in the nuts.

B xx Smile
DS

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, another cracking gig last night and definitely the best gig I've seen IB do in Glasgow since the Barrowlands in 1990! I agree with the point above - JM is so comfortable in the frontman role now, I often forget that he hasn't been with the band since day 1!
Fantastic set list - glad I had avoided the spoilers here as I hadn't expected OATW again. The new tracks sound really good (especially Flag I thought) and I can't wait to her the studio versions now.
Good to catch a quick word with Russell Cherrington and also Jon Amor who always does a great support job - the master of the looper pedal!
A couple of snaps below:-

DS

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjstockham wrote:
Also, anyone see the first support? What was the "drummer" playing? Looked like a wooden box but sounded like drums.

Yup, I did. I think it was a Cajon drum box like this:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-IMARby9gA
Gman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong - I think Lee is great. It's just, if I was given a choice, I'd probably plump for Nath, but that's probably cos I'm a bassist.

Of course it helps that I can see what Nath is playing...I have to stand on my head to do that with Lee! Very Happy

I've seen Nathan play with Level 42, Frost, Frost (esoteric), Frank Dunnery and It Bites...he's a cracking player (and a superb guitarist too).
paiste

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batchain wrote:
Remember an It Bites gig where the sound bloke succeeded in making the whole band sound like a bunch of amateurs. Think it was Derby, or Sheffield. He spent most of his time texting on his phone. I did say “nice job mate”, after the gig, although what he really needed was a kick in the nuts.

B xx Smile

If it was a couple of years ago it was the Leadmill at Sheffield. Shocking soundman Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: