It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bass monitoring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Musicians and Instruments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sf-69

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Bass monitoring Reply with quote

This may seem like a stupid question, but I was wondering if anyone can answer this (probably obvious) question?

I play bass in a band (mainly pubs and weddings, etc.), but half the time I can't hear myself, probably due to the fact that most of the time i'm standing quite close to the amp and cab, so half the time I think it sounds rubbish ('cause the drums and guitar drown me out most of the time!), but when I speak to people out front they say i'm sounding great (punchy, and pretty loud), even though this doesn't come across that way from where i'm standing!

We use monitors for the vocals, but apart from a sub-woofer on the p.a., is there a way I can use the monitor to put my bass through too so I can hear it coming back at me?

I know I sound a bit thick asking this, but i'm not really technical when it comes to stuff like this.... I just play the thing!!

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. Smile
paiste

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget that.

In ear monitoring. It's the only way forward Razz
Once you've tried it you'll never look back
Gman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing to do is turn down the guitarist and mic his amp so he doesn't need to be so loud.

We always try and keep a reasonable volume 'on stage' so we can all hear each other without anybody being particularly loud and then do the soundcheck out front, miking up anything that needs lifting. It generally means a more pleasant playing experience for you guys and better sound out front.

The other thing is to whack up the mids on your bass so it cuts through the guitars and maybe DI your bass, pushing more bottom end through that.

Of course the other thing that affects all of that is room acoustics. I've often had to roll off almost all the bottom end on my rig to prevent it sounding like a reggae gig!
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to agree with paiste on this one, the unobtrusive in ear monitoring system that has come a long way since it's early experimental days in development, is the way to go! Very Happy Pardon?

paiste

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
I've got to agree with paiste on this one, the unobtrusive in ear monitoring system that has come a long way since it's early experimental days in development, is the way to go! Very Happy Pardon?

I didn't know that photo of me backstage existed Wink
Wembley stadium circa 1908 Shocked

Those particular monitors have a beautiful ear drum splitting mid range quality to them Laughing
The Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play bass and admit I do generally have problems hearing my own instrument..whether live or mixing recordings...think it might be a bass players trait Smile
gazza

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Another idea other than using the in ear monitoring ( if you can't afford it ) is, situate your bass amp/cab where the guitarist is and vice versa. You will find the guitarist can hear himself better too. Of course the drums will drown out everything anyway ( that's why the put them at the back ( cue all the drummer jokes lol ). I've tried this, and it works,so see what you think Question Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Musicians and Instruments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: