It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too much negativity ???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinal tapboard wrote:
Oh, be brave, step out of your comfort zone once in a while. Wink

Are you being clever with words there? Wink
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UglyFrog wrote:
)-; !desrever sah ytiralop sti ,!otserP yeH ,dna ,rorrim eht ot pu potpal/neercs ruoy dloh ylpmis ,rehto eht tcelfer ot ti referp dluow dna ,eno s'ti leef uoy fI .evitisop DNA evitagen htob s'taht tsop a s'ereH
Absolute class post from mr frog again, why can't my mind work like his?

Must admit. . . . . I prefer to hear songs live that I've already had a chance to get into on album. That is unless it's simple stuff like blues Wink
gazza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I love hearing new material on tour. There are very few who can pull off live - what they lay down on record, and that's why IB are such a class act. I see it as a challenge. One of my fave bands of all time couldn't pull off their most famous number ( 10cc - i'm not in love ), yet Queen ( for all of their overlayering on record ) still pulled Bohemian Rhapsody out of the bag on stage. Others are very clever with it ( take Frankie for instance ), a couple of songs on the Man tour were done completely different ( he even used the audience to start the song ). All depends on your perspective i suppose and how much you really want to open your mind and ears. I've always been of the opinion that - if you want to hear a song note for note - you may as well stay at home and put the record on. Viva le difference. Very Happy
spinal tapboard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonecrusher wrote:
spinal tapboard wrote:
Oh, be brave, step out of your comfort zone once in a while. Wink

Are you being clever with words there? Wink

I considered putting "be bold..." instead but I guess you'd have done the same thing? Laughing
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s an idea. Westlife hold the record for making the most different versions of a song to download. They produced 60 different versions of You Raise Me Up/Flying Without Wings, with the band personalising the beginning of each song with a spoken word intro saying “This is for …” and recorded 60 girls’ names. It Bites could do something like that.

B xx Very Happy
OATW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it time for a reality check here?

We all live in a society that operates on supply and demand - and whether we like it or not its a fact of our society. As fans, we would all like to have IBs a full-time entity - making albums that sell millions of copies to enable the guys to get some sort of payback for the not insignificant time and personal sacrifice (financial and others) that they make.

People here seem to think that they have some given right to expect more. Well - wake up! The band will always do what they can - but have to earn a living and feed wives, children or whatever. Isn't that what we ALL have to do?

Many people have 2nd or even 3rd jobs to supplement their income to survive. I'm sure those people would love to be an overpaid footballer earning in a week what most people can't earn in a year. I'm sure Chris Maitland who was originally in Porcupine Tree and on the Kino album would love to be with PT now - touring the world and hopefully earning a few quid - but from what I know he choose a full-time theatre job to earn because PT then was small!

Selfishly - I love watching the guys in venues like Leamington, London and many other places I have seen them - up close and immersed in the sound. How many bands have got big (like Dream Theater and now even Porcupine Tree etc where the venues get bigger and its an awful experience (who wants to watch D.T. from the back of Wembly)

And comments were made about old material being played and not any new stuff. I don't care if anything new is written or not. I'm just damn grateful IBs are back and playing the music we all love. We all buy CDs and play them hundreds of times because we love the music - so why not live too! And the fact is to hear UYP this time was a real treat and OATW again in full!

I think some people need a dose of realism here.

Sorry - I'm rambling a bit - but I will sum up in this way. THINK BACK A FEW YEARS. We had 15+ years with NO It Bites. No Live music - and no new album. And when they did come back - TTS is one of the best albums around with no filler - and I'm damn grateful for that. Would love a new album soon - happily wait years for it - because SOME IBs is way better than NO IBs.

Right - I've stirred the wind that shakes the barley and no doubt some will be screaming on the beaches at my words but its time for some to let it all go!

OATW
Tanjobidesu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No screaming here, OATW - just a simple "+1" Very Happy
ant80

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 here too....

having only recently re-discovered it bites via tts i am just greatful the band is still out and about...the live experience ,for me,is by far the best way to listen to the music. york,holmfirth,carlisle x2,sheffield and gateshead done so far for me and i realy look forward to the next gig..whenever it may be.
superjx10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 from me to you, OATW!

DBP Very Happy Wink and all other emoticons I can use...

Or perhaps most significant of all:

John Beck Happy
paiste

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, here! Another +1
Maybe we could turn this thread into a mutual back slapping thread. Wink
I will start!
I love It Bites and I love you guys!!!!!!! Wink
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 , and i didnt get to see them 2 weeks ago,and Im missing anything IB like mad !
Dena
Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Group hug, guys!!!
Pedro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2 (proportional representation!)
Well said, Old Man.
Very Happy
RichJ
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too many points on this thread for me to comment on them all but I'll pick out the ones that have caught my eye.

Firstly, the re-release of 'Heroes' was a success in terms of raising several thousand pounds for a good cause.
As a bonus It Bites re-recorded with Francis and Dick which is no bad thing. From all accounts the concert was good too.
The recording was done very promptly after the flood but nobody knew at this stage that it would take so long to get it on i-tunes and by then the media had lost interest. The band couldn't have really done any more than what they did.
The cd single sold all the copies and I'll see if I can persuade them to press some more so that they can be sold through the website if it is viable. It Bites certainly did as much as they could and should be praised for this.
Having listened to the lads from Cumbria talking they genuinely felt for the people of their home area and their aim was to raise money which they have done. Merch girl Rachel also had some very harrowing accounts of how life has been for victims of the flooding who are more than grateful to It Bites for not forgetting their plight.

If you are lucky enough to see the band play many nights over several tours then I agree it is always great to hear something different. Some people like to hear what they are familiar with and others want something new.

They do try to play a few surprises on each tour and vary the setlists.

The band had wanted to try some new songs for this tour but I don't think they had any complete songs to run through, just a few ideas.

Calling anyone in the band "a liar" is very strong without backing up such a claim.
I'm not convinced that John Mitchell (or anybody) would suggest that an album was "half written".
Nobody has forced this fan to spend several thousands of pounds over the many years on shirts and tickets and hotels, and he wouldn't keep coming back for more if they were not any good. Sure he feels frustrated that there is no new material and hopefully the band will soon correct this.

I'm sure we are all aware that they need to start writing very soon as Tall Ships took them several years to make. They are not like other bands who will write an album in a month. Lots of effort has been made to start writing but the two Johns have not been able to find or make the time with all the other things they do away from It Bites. John Beck won't write the songs on his own and insists on writing with a partner to bounce ideas off.
When Francis was the frontman he played solely for It Bites so they were always writing.

Porcupine Tree have become big because they work hard. They constantly record and tour and they are all 100% committed.
I've seen Steven Wilson's wall-planner in his studio I can see what you need to do if you are serious about music. Every week is planned and accounted for. He has become a millionaire because he sees it as a business and not a part-time musical interest.
I even saw him on New Years Day 2009 working on music.
Chris Maitland didn't leave to do WestEnd musicals, he was apparently replaced after more than an argument, although there are two sides to every story.
It Bites do not have a Steve Wilson who can write songs so quickly and work to such deadlines, then spend half a year touring. They are different people.

I hope I've not missed any major points here.

Hopefully the 'This is Japan' double live album (with bonus concert cd) will be available from the website in about a week. It is an excellent recording and a great booklet too.

feel free to disagree or add points as the above is only my words and opinions and I'm often wrong about things Smile

Rich
Rachel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
That's all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: