It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making the big trip from Canada to UK to see It Bites!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbites

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Making the big trip from Canada to UK to see It Bites!!!!! Reply with quote

hi all,

after being a fan for 25 years, i'm splurging big to make a trip from canada to UK to see It Bites @ oxford. are there any meetups or tips, good venues to eat and other nice things I should look for in Oxford?

it is my first time to the UK so i will be very lost and relying on GPS and gadgets to get me to places....

hoping to meet the band for some autographs and a few photos as well!

also any tips on getting a reservation at The Fat Duck?

p e j
________
of Canada Manufacturing

Last edited by bigbites on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
wsg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to Oxford but I would keep an eye on the forum posts to see if there is a planned rendezvous. Oxford is a great place to visit. Last time I was there I slaked my thirst in The Eagle and Child on St Giles, the pub where Tolkein and C S Lewis used to frequent and more recently Colin Dexter (writer of the Morse books). Also worth a visit is The Lamb and Flag across the road. They're handy for the Ashmolean Museum too. I'm sure there must be folks on the forum who know Oxford well and could offer you some advice on eateries. You could always start another forum thread about an Oxford gathering if no-one else does.

The Fat Duck? Assuming you're not joking, it sounds like you're planning to visit in style! You might be lucky with a cancellation but they take start taking bookings a couple of months in advance. Perhaps lunchtime would be your best bet. He also runs the Hinds Head pub in Bray. As you're in the Oxford area, one of the UKs top restaurants is Raymond Blanc's Le Manoir Aux Quat Saisons. It's not far from Oxford in Great Milton. Sadly, I've not yet made it to either but some friends had a fabulous time at both. But if you're heading north to the Lake District while you're here I can recommend L'Enclume in Cartmel which is up there with them in the gastronomic premier league.

Hope you have a brilliant time when you are over here. I expect the gig will be half-decent too! Wink

Warwick
RichJ
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

Such dedication.

Can't wait to see you Smile
bigbites

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much for the tips!!!!! i look forward to meeting fans there as well. for me it will be a lifelong dream come true just to see them play for the first time!
________
MERCEDES-BENZ W219 HISTORY

Last edited by bigbites on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
rob-m

Location: Wandering the Land of Prog. Quite often via a Pub and a Premier Inn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to seeing you there BigBites
Vitamin P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Big Bites! I guess you've probably landed in Blighty by now? I trust you've got Richie J's number. I'd be very happy to take you round some of Oxford's most important colleges of drinking!! Wink

WSG has got you covered off there with some good tips for pubs and some great foodie hangouts. The Fat Duck has a notoriously long waiting list for tables - A new It Bites album will be out by the time you get a table there I'm sure!! Razz

But as he suggests, Heston Blumenthal's Hinds Head in Bray is a very good bet or try the Waterside Inn (also a 3 Michelin Star restaurant) which also happens to be in Bray.

Right see you in Oxford...

P
bigbites

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vit p! Yes I've got rich's contact and arranged for secure free parking! Lets meet up! And can you bring whatever merch you have on hand as I would love to purchase to bring home 1/2 way across the globe.

Heston also assured me a spot a day before the concert!
________
Medical Cannabis Seeds

bigbites

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will wear one of you 1st it bites tshirt to the Fat Duck and photograph the only way to be real classy among the rest of the suited turds!
________
Alaska Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Vitamin P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff. And congratulations on getting a table at Heston's!! I look forward to your reports...

There will be merch available at the shows no doubt but what size T-shirt do you favour?
waveydavey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Making the big trip from Canada to UK to see It Bites!!! Reply with quote

bigbites wrote:
hi all,

after being a fan for 25 years, i'm splurging big to make a trip from canada to UK to see It Bites @ oxford. are there any meetups or tips, good venues to eat and other nice things I should look for in Oxford?

it is my first time to the UK so i will be very lost and relying on GPS and gadgets to get me to places....

hoping to meet the band for some autographs and a few photos as well!

also any tips on getting a reservation at The Fat Duck?

p e j

Hey Big Bites. Welcome to Blighty. Its fantastic that you've made the trip all the way from Canada!!!! I'm sure the band really appreciate the extent you have gone to. I really hope you enjoy yourself and that England and the band's performance make this a great trip for you Thumb Up
bigbites

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vit P - I'm a large!

waveydavey - thanks for the well wishes! i am enjoying what england has to offer each and every day!
________
Vaporizer wholesaler

Vitamin P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in the Leamington thread. It's now found it's rightful home... Rolling Eyes

It's great to see Big Bites is part of the Canadian/Blighty cultural exchange programme. I'm keeping everything crossed and saving every penny in the hope to make the return trip to Toronto later in the year or perhaps next year if and when Rush announce their much rumoured forthcoming Tour.

Having said the mouth watering line-up of Dream Theater supporting Iron Maiden in North America and Canada later this year looks sorely tempting too!!
bigbites

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi vit P,

let's meet tomorrow in oxford. if we can both align ourselves for the DT/IM show in toronto when they go on sale, i will offer you free accomodations at my satellite flat to save you money as well as transportation to/from the airport!

cheers,
bigbites
________
WASHINGTON DISPENSARIES

RichJ
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woooppeeeee - Oxford today

I'm looking forward to the Rush v Saga debate !

Saga have a better vocalist, guitarist and keyboard player.
Rush ahead in the drummer, bass player department.

check out "wind him up" - a Saga classic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3BAFNOfsY&feature=related

Rich
wsg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichJ wrote:

I'm looking forward to the Rush v Saga debate !

Saga have a better vocalist, guitarist and keyboard player.
Rush ahead in the drummer, bass player department.

check out "wind him up" - a Saga classic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3BAFNOfsY&feature=related

Rich,
Contentious debating points, but being a Saga fan for nearly 3 decades I'd have to agree!!Very Happy (Cue flames) I once read an interview with Michael Schenker where he named Ian Crichton as the guitarist whose playing he most admired.

I think It's interesting to compare your clip with this one from 17 years later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15BlbTDC62c&feature=related
Michael Sadler's voice is even better, Ian Crichton plays beautifully as always but seems like a rabbit in the headlights, and it's one of the best keyboard rigs I've ever seen (but with three of them capable of playing it I suppose it's justified!

As you said - a classic! And then there's Don't Be Late, The Perfectionist.....I better not get started. Laughing

Warwick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> It Bites All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: