It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whole New World
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tallblonde

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OATW wrote:

I think the rock FD is a distant memory - Yes it is, time to move on

PS - here is an idea. How about the guys take a one or two older IB songs and re-work them properly and show how its done on a future tours? Very Happy
- Great idea, or better still, stop spinning out the old stuff and send out some new music, after all, how many times can Franks old stuff be reworked?
Navajo Chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the album, some great versions of tracks on it, especially "Whole New World" itself which sounds much better without the cheesy Phil Collins brass section!!

It would be great to hear a brand new album though!
rob-m

Location: Wandering the Land of Prog. Quite often via a Pub and a Premier Inn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that whatever style Frank chooses he needs to put out some brand new material next, it's long overdue!
foreman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to hear new material from FD check out the Syn album Big Sky, fantastic material and Francis all over it. Amazing, but most of this New Progressives played on that album too, but the albums are miles apart in quality on all levels.
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foreman wrote:
If you want to hear new material from FD check out the Syn album Big Sky, fantastic material and Francis all over it. Amazing, but most of this New Progressives played on that album too, but the albums are miles apart in quality on all levels.

Yes, I've got Big Sky and FD is written all over it. Thought it was OK, with some good songs with excellent prouction. As far as I know The Syn Big Sky project was short-lived. Hyped as a prog masterpiece, which it isn't. Most of the gigs in the US were cancelled and The Syn disbanded just over a week into their tour. All record of The Syn on the FD website dissappeared overnight, I think. The New Progressives band members are it turns out pretty much The Syn, minus Steve Nardelli.

B xx Smile
schnellfahrer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Big Sky is OK, and like already said, it has Frankīs fingerprints all over it.
I doesnīt sound like he was too involved in the writing of the songs though and the lyrics are obviously not his at all. The arrangement and the production sound like Frankīs though. I still think it is way underproduced just like GFB and WNW.

I was quite surprised on the first listen as I was expecting prog or at least something resembling a concept-album, but itīs straight pop/rock.

Iīm very curious as to what Frankie will do next.
The last 3 albums are very similar. Thatīs a new for Frankie. All his other albums are completely different from each other. If you factor in his AN productions (which also sound very much like each other), Iīm starting to wonder if maybe Frankie finally has "found himself" and this is what to expect from him in the future as well. Sad for me as I donīt care to much for what he sounds like these days.

Well, well...nothing lasts for long, but one can hope

Wink
Blimey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Franky is trying to pass this off as "playing music". Problem is that it's the standard that our resident piano and bongo player achieve nightly. They've murdered hundreds if not thousands of tunes. I for one think my wife is more musical when she plays the rusty trombone.
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been listening to the album quite a bit recently and interestingly, these are my favourites of the 'new' versions.

Underneath Your Pillow
Let Us All Go
Murder of The Planet Earth
Still Too Young To Remember

Connection anybody?
Sav

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All off EMISL

Stewart
soundslike1924

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonecrusher wrote:
Been listening to the album quite a bit recently and interestingly, these are my favourites of the 'new' versions.

Underneath Your Pillow
Let Us All Go
Murder of The Planet Earth
Still Too Young To Remember

Connection anybody?

only the best it bites album ever produced! Smile

https://sites.google.com/site/guitarorchestratradingpage/home
plasticdreamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey wrote:
I see Franky is trying to pass this off as "playing music". Problem is that it's the standard that our resident piano and bongo player achieve nightly. They've murdered hundreds if not thousands of tunes. I for one think my wife is more musical when she plays the rusty trombone.

Blimey Charlie. No one says that you have to like the music particularly, but J.H Christ, that post strikes as one of the dumbest I've seen on here for quite some time.

I gather you've seen the latest update from the man who presumably you held in some esteem at some point. Please re-read it in full and try to get at least some insight from what he is saying about where he's decided he'd like to take this music.. I appreciate the latest album is a bit of a shock to the system if you were expecting something else from it, but to throw such cheap shots does you no favours and suggests a certain level of tunnel vision and dare I say it, reluctance to see the bigger picture.

I posted here a few days ago something to effect that I was ready to throw the towel in on the album after the first listen and one week in, I now have a totally different perspective and am surprised at myself for giving in so easily.

Please everyone give it another try with open ears.. Maybe, maybe not every track will hit the spot, but surely a good half or two thirds of it at the very least will make you give some consideration that 'playing music' isn't all about ' larger than life, foot on the monitor, cheeky grin and ripping solo's' and the essence of a great tune is a great song that can be interpreted many ways, regardless of the arrangement.

I give all due deference to those who have given the album a fair hearing, but it does strike me, as has been suggested elsewhere, that there are a number of folk here who are just waiting to take a pot-shot at Frankie, who are reluctant to accept that the guy who was once in his mid-20's and was many of our favourite frontmen, no longer wishes to be tarred with that brash and upfront brush anymore and would prefer to plough his own (unique) path, regardless of the reception he might get, pretty safe in the knowledge that what he is producing is classy and ultimately thought provoking.

Surely that is something to be celebrated and not cruely mocked as we sometimes find here. I sometimes think it's a bit like a closet Led Zeppelin fan having a go at Robert Plant because he doesn't go down the all too-easy 'those were days' path. I am/was that closet Led Zeppelin fan.. I'm not overly enamoured with 80% of his solo career myself, but I have massive respect for him as an artist and free spirit and couldn't bear to see him trying to emulate what he used to be, back in the glorius 70's (I.M.O).

That is the best analagy I can come up with. Apologies that I have wandered off my original point.... The point of which was.... See the top of this post! Wink
Blimey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can believe that plastic Dreamer spent so much of her time responing to my dunb comment!
Tallblonde

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey wrote:

Do you really have a resident pianist and bongo player, plus a trombone playing wife?...cool...do you live in a hotel or is it a chilling out special type of hospital/respite centre Laughing
wsg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plastic dreamer wrote:
I appreciate the latest album is a bit of a shock to the system if you were expecting something else from it.

I give all due deference to those who have given the album a fair hearing, but it does strike me, as has been suggested elsewhere, that there are a number of folk here who are just waiting to take a pot-shot at Frankie

Quite honestly he deserves all the brickbats because he literally sold the album and tour as something else entirely. From February he had been posting the names of his latest Prog musician recruits to the project. That coupled with the New Progressives name was, in my view, dishonest. Of the musicians I can recall (there may have been more) only Theo Travis, Simon Rogers, John Mitchell and Luke Machin got to play cameo roles on the CD. The main recording musicians were from the ill-starred The Syn touring band (and who are currently backing him on tour). Other name-dropped luminaries such as Dave Meros, John Wetton, Matt Swindells, David Jackson and Steve Rothery were all conspicuous by their absence. I find it strange, to say the least, that all the news postings about this are no longer of the FD website. A similar disappearing act was performed by the bilious interview where FD attacked JM. I've been a fan of FD for 25 years and have purchased all his recorded output before the latest CD but I'm beginning to think it's time we "progressed" in different directions.

There, that feels better now. It's been brewing since Band On The Wall. Wink

Cheers

Warwick
uklimeball

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a hard time with FD’s definition of Progressive. If moving to more "lounge style pseudo Steely Dan" music is progressive then would he accept that Phil Collins solo work was also progressive? I mean, Collins was part of one of the world’s greatest prog bands (Genesis and brand X) only to end up producing easy listening music. Would FD accept that Genesis after 1977 was still progressive under his definition? I dare say that if he had shown up to a Lamb Lies Down gig in ’75 and they performed the entire album in the style of Chris De Burg he might have been a little upset especially as the Lamb album seemed to be substitute for his mother? Just a thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Francis Dunnery All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 9 of 16

Jump to: