It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glasgow Review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Glasgow Review Reply with quote

Oh well, New Progressives? Brand New It Bites? Sorry I don't think so! Other than the one song played (think it might be a new one? The post man's not bought my album yet.) on the squire, which had it some great shades of it bites and charlie on the Tap Board. The night was very middle of the road easy listening music. I suspect the wife might like the album though! Don't get me wrong, it was as ever, done to a good standard. It's just not what it was sold as.
blee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was definitely a statement from Frank (I think in the recent Guitarist Magazine interview) where he stated that most It Bites fans would hate the new album/tour.

I was there also and agree with the middle of the road rock/easy listening / jazz comparisons from many different people however I never at anytime thought it would be anything other than the direction Frank has been going in recent years.

Is it not better having many versions of the songs we know and love, and decide for ourselves whether we want to listen to them again rather than regurgitating the same format time after time. We are not forced to like it.

Sadly most people will diss the man and probably my opinion. It is my opinion that these people should keep the 80's albums on repeat and thus resist any change.

But hey it is good we all dissagree, it saves things getting boring.

Also not sure if I liked/disliked the gig myself, but I bought the cd and I'll certainly remember it.

Wull
Worpswede

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blee, I didn't see the Guitar Mag you mentioned. Maybe that would have given me a bit of a clue before the Whitehaven gig. The press that I had read lead me to believe we were in for some prog, but I hadn't followed it closely. I agree in hindsight that the type of music he is playing this tour is a bit more the direction he's been 'progressing' in the last few years and I was probably a bit naive.

I personally would not rather listen to the same songs regurgitated again and again either. But I think sometimes people change things just for the sake of it. I would have loved to see some new music. How long is it since we heard some brand new songs from him?

But just because some people didn't enjoy the gigs it does not mean that we're dissing Francis.

I loved alot of his acoustic gigs. I was only a child in the 80s ! I go to classical concerts, heavy metal gigs, prog gigs, as well as some more 'soulful' stuff. I am into new music, new bands and always trying to listen to something different. Please do not presume that because someone voices their opinion on not liking something that they are narrow minded.

Like I said before, we all have different tastes and sure some people will really like this stuff, but it was not for me.
SlowKnee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Glasgow Review [contd] Reply with quote

I am very much undecided about both the album and the Glasgow show. I left feeling “confused” last night. I guess that’s the best way to put it. I absolutely LOVED bits of the show. But, equally, I was completely and utterly distracted during some of the long, meandering, directionless, ‘failing-to-get-anywhere’ instrumental/vocal-enhanced outros on a couple of the tunes – particularly towards the start of the evening.

To rewind a few hours, the CD was waiting for me when I arrived home from work yesterday evening so I only had a 45-minute journey to familiarise myself with the 2 discs and skip my way through the songs.

Like the show, I think the whole project is a bit “hit and miss”. For every “miss” (“Kiss Like Judas” just makes me cringe!), there is an enormous “hit”, such as “Staring at the Whitewash”, “Hunting the Whale” or “Feels Like Summertime” to name a few of the many highlights.

However, some of the non-IB covers are horrible. Although “Still Life in Mobile Homes” and “Back in NYC” are great, I think that “Calling To You” is a totally pointless exercise that adds (or changes) nothing of Planty’s original for the better. As for turning “Love Will tear Us Apart” into almost a jolly wee campfire sing-a-long… that is one of the craziest notions ever committed to CD! Reinterpreting stuff is absolutely fine, but to completely bypass or ignore the essence or intent of the original lyric kinda ruins it for me. I just don’t get it.

I think the album will divide opinion (as all great ‘art’ should do) but (IMHO) Frankie is stretching things to believe that there were 20 great tracks (i.e. a double album’s worth) of valid material worth releasing from these sessions.

Had he cherry-picked maybe 12 of the best tunes - as any ‘decent’ major label A&R man (excuse the tautology) would have insisted - we would probably be lauding this album as a thing of great beauty!

Don’t get me wrong… last night’s show (and the CD) had/have some truly brilliant moments and I am looking forward to getting better acquainted with the album.

I’m just feeling a bit confused. I love Francis as he never does the same thing twice.

Since Leaving IB, I think he has toured with a different line-up (or been totally ‘solo’) on each occasion – either with Ashley Reekes, with Matt Pegg, with David Sancious & Dorie, the TBH tour, the New Progressives, the Wild Country line-up, etc. - and I wholeheartedly applaud that he challenges us all each and every time.

Long may it continue…
blee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, everyone will/should have their own opinions.

My post wasn't directed at anyone in particular but rather at the increasing number of posts where the authors seem to be expecting some kind of musical miracle of their dreams.

I guess Frank has just got to do what he does and we can buy it or opt out. I'm still undecided on last night but I'm sure I'll buy his next cd as normal.

Long may we have both Frank and It Bites. Best of both worlds.
Worpswede

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll drink to that. Very Happy
Tanjobidesu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blee wrote:
the authors seem to be expecting some kind of musical miracle of their dreams.

Well, that's not quite the situation, is it? Frankie himself decided to call his venture 'The New Progressives', not the posters on this forum. He must surely have known that that label WOULD raise certain expectations amongst the fans who remember 'the good old days'. To then, apparently, cruelly dash those expectations was bound to get some sort of disappointed reaction.

Maybe he should have called his venture 'The New Jazzy AORs'...
The Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blee wrote:

Is it not better having many versions of the songs we know and love

Understand what you're getting at but I'd say an emphatic 'no'. Songs are written in a certain time and place, and attempting to re-create in different styles etc.. often ends with disaster. Jazz Beatles anyone?

There are some artists out there who've done some great cover versions; Tori Amos seems to do very well and I'd say Duran Duran also (waits to be shot!) as examples, but in my opinion the poor versions mostly outweigh the good. I'm still trying to get the memory of Will Young's Light My Fire out of my head. With FD they're his songs so I guess he's got the right, may have been better to go more prog than easy listening, but as you say, you don't have to like it Smile
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow Christian in Glasgow.

Pretty good imo. Lacks bite maybe, but there you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR8l6oyDP3Y

B xx Razz
Navajo Chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video, really nice arrangement imo!

I thought King Tut's was a good gig. I think Frank's only mistake for the tour as many have pointed out was calling the band the New Progressives (terrible name, almost as bad as Navajo Kiss Laughing), therefore raising everyone's expectations for a night of prog. What we did end up with was a very mellow night indeed, and it was enjoyable.

Bar the idiots who paid £16 to talk about their flatmates throughout the gig Mad ...Stay at home next time
Worpswede

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said before that I am not enjoying this new venture, but it seems that it is a welcome change for others.

Something that has just crossed my mind is that maybe these mellow gigs would go down alot better in seated venues. Venues like King Tuts and other rock venues often do have bars usually in or around the main rooms which can lead to more chat. Also people are moving around around alot more in Rock venues as a general rule.

Whatever my opinion of a gig is, I feel that this chat is incredibly rude. If I want to catch up with someone then i move away from the gig (usually to smokers corner) or wait till it's finished.

I do go to see some classical concerts and go to see some mellow quiet bands/singers but these are usually seated venues and people do seem to behave alot better in that situation.

I know this isn't much use now as all the venues are ready to go - just airing my thoughts really.
AJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annoying sods talking!!

tapboard from last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcT2pqILFj8
rob-m

Location: Wandering the Land of Prog. Quite often via a Pub and a Premier Inn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking in the crowd is one of THE most annoying thing at gigs! I mean have a natter between songs but then shut the f*** up!

The Robin at Bilston actually print something like this on flyers and at the venue which is a great idea.
man in a milion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please make it all stop!!!!! Truly awful. Dorie, sorry, you just ain't It Bites. It's muzak for the masses....perhaps people wouldn't gab so much if there was anything interesting happening on stage? Saved me some money anyway, the album is definitely a big NO NO!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Francis Dunnery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: