It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kendal - The Last Straw

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimfol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Kendal - The Last Straw Reply with quote

Having just see Francis at the Brewery in Kendal I have to post my thoughts. I've been a fan since 1984 and seen him live many times.
I have just purchased the new cd and I am totally gob smacked at the new versions of the old classics. It is nowhere near prog rock, more lounge music. There are some half decent version like Underneath Your Pillow but on the whole I am so dissapointed. In retrospect the downturn seems to have started about a few years ago with the Gulley Flats cd which I still have trouble with. I know a lot of you will say that's rubbish but and Frankie likes to move on and push the boundaries but all I wish for is a bit of passion and power in the new music he produces like Welcome To The Wild Country and the tour a couple of years ago.
Kendal last night was extremely lacklustre with the band looking like they were lost! I noticed a few comments about talking during the performance-All I can say is he should cut out the rambling endless twiddling and maybe grab the audience's attention. What happened - He used to be very entertaining!!? I spoke to 2 lads last night who drove 3 hours to Kendal and they were p****d off at the hour and a bit performance and said they'd never bother again. I recommended they go see It Bites for a class concert. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for progress but I really don't think Frankie's fan base has any chance of increasing with this current direction. Come on Frankie, listen to the Tall Ships and get the loud guitars out again. For anyone interested check out ebay soon as there'll soon be a There's A Whole New World Out There cd for sale!!
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Kendal - The Last Straw Reply with quote

jimfol wrote:
Having just see Francis at the Brewery in Kendal I have to post my thoughts. I've been a fan since 1984 and seen him live many times.
I have just purchased the new cd and I am totally gob smacked at the new versions of the old classics. It is nowhere near prog rock, more lounge music. There are some half decent version like Underneath Your Pillow but on the whole I am so dissapointed. In retrospect the downturn seems to have started about a few years ago with the Gulley Flats cd which I still have trouble with. I know a lot of you will say that's rubbish but and Frankie likes to move on and push the boundaries but all I wish for is a bit of passion and power in the new music he produces like Welcome To The Wild Country and the tour a couple of years ago.
Kendal last night was extremely lacklustre with the band looking like they were lost! I noticed a few comments about talking during the performance-All I can say is he should cut out the rambling endless twiddling and maybe grab the audience's attention. What happened - He used to be very entertaining!!? I spoke to 2 lads last night who drove 3 hours to Kendal and they were p****d off at the hour and a bit performance and said they'd never bother again. I recommended they go see It Bites for a class concert. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for progress but I really don't think Frankie's fan base has any chance of increasing with this current direction. Come on Frankie, listen to the Tall Ships and get the loud guitars out again. For anyone interested check out ebay soon as there'll soon be a There's A Whole New World Out There cd for sale!!

Gather there was no encore either. Were there any special guests?

B xx Confused
jimfol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the support and there was no encore and no special guests with Frankie
ianstewart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well worth it eh? Sad
themaclad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support was a Glaswegian guy called John.
As for FD , the first two numbers seemed to go on for an age, the third song Holiday was average and that's being kind.
It was slightly better after that though not by much.
The track about Mobile homes grabbed everyone because there was total silence when it was played.
As soon as he did the Joy Division cover, the talking increased.
Sister Sarah worked but you just wanted it to rock a bit more. Liked the Genesis cover.
No encore

Looking round the room last night some people were bored rigid.
Still a great guitarist though,sorry to say though it wasn't good a good night.
Didn't buy the CD

Big Lad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These reviews have been very helpful in confirming the fears i had about attending this recent set of gigs.I too am of the opinion that franks best solo work was his early stuff such as WTTWC and Fearless after those two albums he seemed to change direction totally and for me it has'nt worked,i would really love to see him go back to that style and produce something a lot harder hitting rather than the easy listening music he's churning out now.Also a mistake labelling it the New It-bites and new progessives in my view.Long live It-bites
paiste

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Lad wrote:
These reviews have been very helpful in confirming the fears i had about attending this recent set of gigs.I too am of the opinion that franks best solo work was his early stuff such as WTTWC and Fearless after those two albums he seemed to change direction totally and for me it hasn't worked,i would really love to see him go back to that style and produce something a lot harder hitting rather than the easy listening music he's churning out now.Also a mistake labelling it the New It-bites and new progressives in my view.Long live It-bites

+1 These reviews have made up my mind that I won't bother going to this tour. Sad Probably won't bother with the cd either.
This is from someone who thought Frankie could do no wrong! Guess I'm just fed up of the direction that he has taken. I thought when he did the WTTWC tour it had taken a massive about turn, and reverted to the heavier sound again and that this would be the shape of things to come but sadly not.
Obviously he should do what he chooses and wants to do, sadly it's not for me.

On a different note, watching the youtube footage that JL has posted of JM on stage with Francis I nearly looked away! Seemed like a bit of an uncomfortable moment when Francis introduced his "mate" John Mitchell.

Embarassed

Long live It Bites Razz
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more paiste,my feelings entirely,but tickets bought for Friday,Cant wait for the get together before the gig,but if its as bad as im worried its going to be , well Manchester town centre here we come.
foreman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worse than bad, they're terrible.
I bought the cd and now seen this lot live and I won't even bother with my ticket to the Bush on Sunday. Totally misled by the hype..
rob-m

Location: Wandering the Land of Prog. Quite often via a Pub and a Premier Inn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Couldn't agree more paiste,my feelings entirely,but tickets bought for Friday,Cant wait for the get together before the gig,but if its as bad as im worried its going to be , well Manchester town centre here we come.

Oldman...agreed...at least there's some decent pubs to fall back on if needs be...hope not though
OATW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foreman wrote:
It's worse than bad, they're terrible.
I bought the cd and now seen this lot live and I won't even bother with my ticket to the Bush on Sunday. Totally misled by the hype..

As per my comment on the FD thread - this is the first time in 45 years I will not go to a concert by choice that I have bought tickets for already. I have been to many concerts of various musical tastes and this will be a first.

It will have pride of place in my 350+ concert ticket collection - all with the ticket stubs missing - this will be the only one thats fully intact.

Those of you going on Sunday - I hope its seating as it makes sleeping easier - I will be enjoying a decent curry down the road. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Francis Dunnery All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: