It Bites Forum Index It Bites
The place to talk about It Bites

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whole New World
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tall Ship

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first, I was aghast and didn't like what I was hearing. But after a couple of spins, "There's a Whole New World" has become my fave Dunnery solo album, surpassing even "Tall Blonde Helicopter." Frank has become a far more soulful singer and guitarist in recent years and even though I kinda miss hearing him rock out, I think these cover versions are (for the most part) great reworkings and the whole album has a sustained and cohesive mood. A few of the It Bites songs even surpass the originals. Others just offer a variation on the original. But the underlying core of those songs, namely strong melodies with great harmonies, still shine through. Been playing it a LOT.
foreman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly, except I can think of another for letter name for it other than marmite that begins with c and ends with a p.
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OATW you will not get slated for what you have written,this really is a viable subject,with many varied points being made. You have hit the nail on the head though for me,I haven't heard the album yet,but truley believed via his hype,this was going to be one mofo of an ass kicking tour ect. Everyone was sooooo looking forward to having the Frank back that was whisked away by aliens 20 yearsago,but alas,if anything,he has gone more mellow. No doubt myself and a whole load more will be adding their own takes on this,after tomorrow !
rob-m

Location: Wandering the Land of Prog. Quite often via a Pub and a Premier Inn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reviews do seem to be fairly polarised. It's either love or hate and I can't comment yet as all I've heard is the clips on the FD site. It seems that if this had just been released in a low key fashion with no 'New Progressives' and Brand New IB' people wouldn't have been so disappointed and it's the gap between what seems to have been plugged as a prog extravaganza with hundreds of prog superstar musicians and the reality thats the problem.

Must say I liked the clips after a few listens and will probably buy the cd...we'll see after tomorrows gig!
plasticdreamer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts, pasted from fd.com, cos I ain't typing this out again! Razz

Dunnery wrote:
Think it's fair to say there are mixed opinions of this album so far. It appears that you either love it or hate it. Don't think I've yet read one review yet that is on the fence.

I'm told that the U.S. fans of Frank - Francis to them - that haven't heard the old IB material are loving this new cd.

John L.

I think the sentence about the U.S fans, is at the core of whats going on here. It is asking a lot of people who have known the originals for 20+ years to easily adjust to these radical re-workings.

But putting myself in a 'newbie's' shoes and perhaps of someone who has only ever really got to know FD's 'noughties' output (Man, GFB, House concerts maybe..), what's not to like here? Cracking tunes (mostly... I could do without 3 or 4 of them personally!), brilliant harmonies, subtly sublime playing. It's all just an extention of Frank's acoustic leanings really.

For myself, I was at the Whitehaven concert and hadn't heard the CD at that point. The long and short of it was that, whilst I wasn't that surpised that these songs would be given some sort of mellow treatment, I actually found myself shuffling my feet uncomfortably and even stifling a yawn on several occasions and had almost convinced myself not to bother going to Manchester tonight, even though I've had my tickets for a couple of months. (Anyone that knows me, would surely realise that this would be tantamount to me disowning my kids!!!).

And what about the CD itself? During the brief drive back to the hotel and the drive away from the hotel next morning, CD1 got it's first airing and I can't say my feelings were about to change in the slightest. As the last track of that disc came to a close, I actually said to Mrs Plastic, "Right, stick on CD2, lets get it over and done with, before it goes on Ebay"! Now, Mrs Plastic is one of the aforementioned new converts. She does enjoy pretty much all his solo output, but 'doesn't get' some of the Proggy It Bites stuff. I guess it was her ready acceptance of this new CD that made us have it on constant rotation in the car during the long drive back home and lo and behold, I slowly but surely started to 'get it' myself and found myself not wanting to listen to anything else all week!

I've probably listened to the whole double CD 6 or 7 times now and have a more objective view than the scathing attack I was formulating in my head on Sunday morning!

It will never be my favourite FD album. There are too many relatively small things on there that bug me and always will. I find the drumming and bass to be uninspiring, even for this type of music. A few of the songs are 2 minutes too long (worst offender, the otherwise excellent Staring at the Whitewash). It's irritating that I am totally undecided about Kiss like Judas' 'Feeling Groovy' demeanour. (I keep going back to my initial thought that it sounds like a tinkle winkle-take of his own song! But on the other hand I can't stop singing it to myself and nodding my head sideways!! lol). 'Holiday', whilst it's probably my joint favourite on the album, has a solo by Phil Campbell that is nothing more than workmanlike and mundane. Why bother getting a special guest in, when any guitarist of medium semi-pro status could come up with something more uplifting? I positively dislike the Plant Life song and particularly that other totally new one on disc 2, whose title escapes me now. I'm reserving judgement about the reworked Japan song. I suspect it will be a real grower on me, but can't help wishing he'd done 'Ghosts', which would have been totally gobsmacking in this setting!

So, there's a big long paragraph on things that could be construed as negative I suppose, but yet the fact is, on the whole I have come to enjoy the album, can't wait to get chance to give it another spin and yes, I am going to the gig tonight and I know I'm going to come away with a huge smile on my face!

Col.
DB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my copy of Whole New world since monday,its all i,ve been playing so here,s what I think;Firstly I think Frank,s vocals are better than ever;some lovely tracks-staring at the whitewash,holiday,underneath your pillow....Kiss Like Judas intro & chorus bit iffy but verses ok.Think some of the songs do go on a bit but overall I enjoyed these different versions apart from the obvious one.Be at South Shields on monday,looking forward to it....

KLJ does remind me of feelin groovy
tallman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB wrote:

That cannot be a good thing. Surely that would sound like one of those jazzer-versions-of-rock-tracks CDs that were doing the rounds a few years back? Ewww.
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books fizz packed,cant wait for tomoz,either way Very Happy
Gman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Frank's brand, brand new album Reply with quote

I've been working with Frank on the artwork for his next album...here's a sneak preview:

Worpswede

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What style will he be doing these songs in? Jazz? Prog? Or maybe we're in for a country style irish album? Lmao at this! You've made my night. Surprised Laughing
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB wrote:

This is the one track on the album that I'm not sure works.
batchain
The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't got the CD. Anyone know if the version of Feels Like Summertime on the new album is the same as released as a free download ages ago?

B xx Rolling Eyes
Bonecrusher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the same one.
oldmanwithhisangel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS Gman,i nearly spat strongbow all over me Vaio,top one Very Happy
OATW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important message on FD sites....

Due to the excessive volume of cd orders, we are temporarily out of stock of "There's A Whole New World Out There". We have already reordered more cd's and will be shipping orders again a.s.a.p. CD's ordered after Oct 21st may take a little longer to arrive than expected. "There's A Whole New World Out There" cd's will be available for purchase on Francis Dunnery's upcoming UK Tour dates from Oct 22nd- Nov 6th. Please email us at happytobe@francisdunnery.com
with questions or concerns.

He can have my copy back if it helps? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It Bites Forum Index -> Francis Dunnery All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: